PSA: Check Electricity Supplier Rates (Savings!)

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
PSA: I changed suppliers in Feb of this year and went from 23.78 cents/kWh --> 16.59 cents, then again just now for 12.49.

I just checked a few minutes ago and the rate at 12.49. I called and they gave me the new fixed rate, "as a one-time courtesy". Literally took me 5 min

I know not everyone can change suppliers, but if you can, do it. Here in CT, the rate is fixed and you can cancel at any time.

Just Google "How to change energy supplier rates [insert state here]"

Note: For me in CT, the transmission is still via Eversource, so that cost is not affected by the change in supplier.

Original thread, where I complained about high rates and finally did something about it: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...e-508-68-1522-kwh.364877/page-16#post-6499075

EDIT: clarification

Last edited:
Is that rate including all of the fees such as KWH usage charge (actual electricity price), power cost adjustment and sales taxes?

I ask because my most recent bill that included all of the fees and taxes worked out to$0.152 (15 cents) per KWH. I read on the internet of some places as low as 8 cents per KWH. How they get that is beyond me.

Is that rate including all of the fees such as KWH usage charge (actual electricity price), power cost adjustment and sales taxes?

I ask because my most recent bill that included all of the fees and taxes worked out to$0.152 (15 cents) per KWH. I read on the internet of some places as low as 8 cents per KWH. How they get that is beyond me.

Nope, just supply

My overall rate, including everything, is 29.39 cents/kWh

Eversource just started breaking out their transmission costs into the following:
Transmission: $45.35
Local Delivery: $79.55
Public Benefit: $20.54

Supply: $188.46

Total: $333.90

Just be careful of the teaser rates. Here in PA they do a three month intro rate, and then zing you a variable rate. I think they hope that life takes over and you forget about the expiration until you get a giant bill. At that point, you are 1.25 months into the higher rate billing rate and paying through the nose while the utility takes their sweet time switching you back.

Free market but can be the wild west - especially if your provider decides to "leave the market" which has happened to me at least 3 times.

Just be careful of the teaser rates. Here in PA they do a three month intro rate, and then zing you a variable rate. I think they hope that life takes over and you forget about the expiration until you get a giant bill. At that point, you are 1.25 months into the higher rate billing rate and paying through the nose while the utility takes their sweet time switching you back.

Free market but can be the wild west - especially if your provider decides to "leave the market" which has happened to me at least 3 times.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that this is 36 months fixed rate. The old contract was also 36 months fixed rate.

I was honestly expecting them to tell me to go pound sand, but the whole update only took around 5 min!

Edit: they said it would take 2-3 billing cycles. The initial switch took that long, so I'm hopeful.

Last edited:
I have 5 years locked in at 5.1cents supply. which is about 35% of my bill.
my average all in cost is 14.5-17cents

My gas bill is the real murder.. the connect charges are about 65-70% of my yearly bill. and distro another 7%
I have gas supplied through city aggregation(constellation) for 3.31/MCF (1000 CU FT)

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have mentioned that this is 36 months fixed rate. The old contract was also 36 months fixed rate.

I was honestly expecting them to tell me to go pound sand, but the whole update only took around 5 min!

Edit: they said it would take 2-3 billing cycles. The initial switch took that long, so I'm hopeful.
That's good! Just keep an eye on it every year or so, the prices are really volatile now.

Here is my utility price (supply only). It adjusts every 6 months.

1701835220191.jpg

Nuclear or water powered generation.

Nope, just supply

My overall rate, including everything, is 29.39 cents/kWh

Eversource just started breaking out their transmission costs into the following:
Transmission: $45.35
Local Delivery: $79.55
Public Benefit: $20.54

Supply: $188.46

Total: $333.90
Holy smokes.

How does one even.use ~1200 KWH? Electric heat?

We usually are at $70-80 a month, around 350 KWH.

Holy smokes.

How does one even.use ~1200 KWH? Electric heat?

We usually are at $70-80 a month, around 350 KWH.

All electric everything, unfortunately (no oil or gas available in my area). Pretty standard raised ranch. 2700 ft^2, but only the upstairs is conditioned, so half that.

Family of four (2 small kids)

Heat usually stays off. Usually 60s in bedrooms and right now it’s 56.1 in the main space. We’re accustomed to colder/warmer temps in the winter/summer, respectively.

Old hot water heater, but wrapped in insulation.

House passed energy audit for tightness, butwe could use more insulation.

I’ve posted about my loads previously if you’re interested. No major outliers.

Last edited:
Back