Request for assistance

MIne is a 3-5 minute coming to life out of the sleep mode. And at that timeframe it is sluggish needing a couple more minutes to run like it should. After that fine and dandy.
My time quoted is from being completely off and not sleeping. Still seems a bit lengthy. The new Lenovo with SSD has spoiled me.

I want to thank everyone that responded. ALL inputs are appreciated and have helped clear things up for me.

My time quoted is from being completely off and not sleeping. Still seems a bit lengthy. The new Lenovo with SSD has spoiled me.
It not that I am upset it takes this long. I would like to know what it is regurgitating for that length of time. Also a boot up from being totally off, doesn't seem to take much longer maybe another minute or two.

It not that I am upset it takes this long. I would like to know what it is regurgitating for that length of time. Also a boot up from being totally off, doesn't seem to take much longer maybe another minute or two.
I agree...it bugs me that I can't find anything wrong or out of the ordinary. Not a show stopper but certainly an inconvenience. After re-reading everything here I feel that a 1TB SSD and a fresh install of windows 10 will bring it back to its speedy prior life.

I agree...it bugs me that I can't find anything wrong or out of the ordinary. Not a show stopper but certainly an inconvenience. After re-reading everything here I feel that a 1TB SSD and a fresh install of windows 10 will bring it back to its speedy prior life.
Nor do health routines show anything that warrants attention. My laptop is 5 y.o. next month.. I just start mine up first thing after coming downstairs. By the time the coffee is ready, it's ready. I have a Bunn coffee maker.

I don't have a USB thumbdrive with the capacity for Windows 10.
Go buy a couple - they're dirt cheap nowadays. MicroCenter (a chain with locations all around the country) gives away 32gb ones in order to get you in their stores (with an email offer) or buy 'em for $3-4 for 16gb. You might want one or two to copy any data (pictures, documents, etc) before wiping the drive anyway. Amazon, Walmart, etc sell 'em too, of course.

After re-reading everything here I feel that a 1TB SSD and a fresh install of windows 10 will bring it back to its speedy prior life.
Also, before you buy anything, now would be a good time to see if you even need a 1TB drive. 500GB (or even 250GB) may be plenty if you're just trying to resurrect this laptop just to squeeze some more use out of it, and it'll save you a few bucks. 500GB seems to be the sweet spot price/space-wise nowadays. $26:

Go buy a couple - they're dirt cheap nowadays. MicroCenter (a chain with locations all around the country) gives away 32gb ones in order to get you in their stores (with an email offer) or buy 'em for $3-4 for 16gb. You might want one or two to copy any data (pictures, documents, etc) before wiping the drive anyway. Amazon, Walmart, etc sell 'em too, of course.
I have half a dozen but the largest is 32GB, precisely what Win 10 uses. I'll need 64 to have some room.

You are indeed correct. 500 would easily leave lots of room after contents and Windows are installed.

I installed a Samsung 1TB SSD in my daughter's 7-8 year old Dell Inspiron 3250 a few months ago. Along with an upgrade from 8GB RAM to 16GB, the performance increase is incredible. How about 25 seconds to boot Win 10? It was not a trivial task, because I had to source cables and adapters to clone the old drive. However, that was not the case with a Dell Optiplex I converted a few years ago. I was able to do that one via USB ports.

There's probably a M.2 slot and a SATA slot for traditional 2.5" laptop sized drives. I bet that 8GB SSD is used for Intel's "Optane" they had going on during that time but is now largely defunct as SSD prices have dropped.

What I would do is save all the files you want and then replace both with a single SATA SSD like one of the choices above and then have a fresh reinstall of Windows. That'll really liven up the laptop. The only issue I can see coming across that is if the Windows key isn't saved in the computer - then you'd have to find a key somewhere.

I don't believe Optane was really used in any kind of consumer or business computer, and really unlikely for anything that old. It was more for server applications. I understand that the hope was that they might eventually make them bigger and possibly substitute for DRAM in some applications.

I remember the first time I'd ever heard of them was when I applied for a job at Intel a few years ago. They weren't calling it Optane back then - I think 3D XPoint where it was a joint project with Micron. It was supposed to be faster than flash-based memories but wasn't as fast as DRAM. But theoretically it wouldn't wear out like NAND flash.

These hybrid systems can be real nightmares to reinstall or clone. But I would think that a SATA SSD could easily substitute for the original HD. Of course that wasn't what they had in mind. The OP's laptop was probably from an era where SSDs were extremely expensive and this was a bridge to make it more affordable.

I don't believe Optane was really used in any kind of consumer or business computer, and really unlikely for anything that old. It was more for server applications. I understand that the hope was that they might eventually make them bigger and possibly substitute for DRAM in some applications.

I remember the first time I'd ever heard of them was when I applied for a job at Intel a few years ago. They weren't calling it Optane back then - I think 3D XPoint where it was a joint project with Micron. It was supposed to be faster than flash-based memories but wasn't as fast as DRAM. But theoretically it wouldn't wear out like NAND flash.

These hybrid systems can be real nightmares to reinstall or clone. But I would think that a SATA SSD could easily substitute for the original HD. Of course that wasn't what they had in mind. The OP's laptop was probably from an era where SSDs were extremely expensive and this was a bridge to make it more affordable.

Just to clarify, I believe there were some Optane drives that could be used as small SSDs, but that wasn’t really what they were going for. It was supposed to be part of a system where maybe bridging between RAM, Optane, and a main drive (SSD or HD). Being able to do that would be very much reliant on a system designed around it.

That's odd...my Google research showed 32 GB in every instance. If you are correct it really simplifies things.
I think what you're seeing is what Microsoft says is the smallest size hard drive you can install Windows 10 on.

But yes, the USB install media only needs to be 8GB.

Who knows. I got a "mid 2012" MacBook Pro model - aka the last "Unibody" model that Apple sold as new. It was working reasonably well for a couple of years with the original 500 GB 5400 RPM hard drive. But then after one major operating system update it just went splat. The boot time was somewhere around the 2 minute range. The operating system has an option to choose an alternate program to open a file type (like different programs to open a PDF file) and that could take a minute for something to come up. I think in many ways these newer operating systems made more use of SSD performance.

I cloned the drive to an SSD and dropped it in. Boot times were reduced to less than 20 seconds and alternate programs were displayed with no perceptible lag.

Just the bulk transfer of data is faster with SATA SSDs, but the thing that really helps with usability is all the random data that is read. I've heard it described as "snacking" where the operating system just grabs a small piece here - another there, and with SSDs there's no physical movement of motor arms (aka "seek time"). If any piece needs to be read, it takes the same time regardless of where it is physically.

1. Yes that hybrid drive is a spinning platter with an 8GB solid state front end.

2. A swap to an SSD will be a marked improvement

3. Slow speeds could be several things… the old drive could have bad and remapped sectors, there could be a pile-on of bloatware, old AV software and so many hidden processes running.

4. agree with the others, a fresh reinstall would be ideal.

5. Google command line instruction for getting windows key, it’s easy, and you’ll want the key for a reinstall.

Back