Replaced rear drums / shoes

03 Pontiac vibe 179k miles on the car, rear brakes have been squealing for the last 20k miles so I decided to replace them. I did drums / shoes before on other vehicles so these took me only 2 hours. Replacing pads are so much easier. Anyway, no more squealing.

Before:
A18C2ABE-CEFE-495A-B22C-0442253015F4.jpeg
95DFAE19-BBB1-42BE-9FF1-A930883FFCE4.jpeg

After:

F8692523-B44F-46CA-A6F3-A95989662878.jpeg
A2B13B49-07C1-4838-B546-5B9F59C74E16.jpeg

Looks good!

Bendix makes pre-assembled shoes for some cars, but it is a small selection at this time. Too bad they don't make them for your car :(

*Shudder* I know there are people that can do a set of drum brakes in their sleep, but I really hate working on those stupid things.
I have done a few drum brake jobs. I'm not as good as one that can do them in their sleep, but I used to like doing them.
I agree with barkingspider though, pads are so much easier.
Looks good BS. ;) (y)
Who makes the drums?

Look at the CA car no rot, doing them here at that age would be a swearing session and most likely a backing plate and wheel cylinder replacement. In that condition its a very quick and easy job. Clean that hub up and put a bit of never seize or spray some cold galvi on it to stop it rusting again.

Nice job. Seems like an easier/better setup than I faced on my 96 Ram.

Have you considered painting the drums To prevent surface rust? I wonder if they make a clear high temperature paint…. Or, I’ve had great luck with cold galvanizing paint on rotor hats, I’d guess it might work well here as well.

idve slapped some more paint on those drums. i regret not painting the new calipers since they immediately rusted but work fine nonetheless. even flat black or anything would've looked better than rust. the coating is thin and doesn't last long.

Look at the CA car no rot, doing them here at that age would be a swearing session and most likely a backing plate and wheel cylinder replacement. In that condition its a very quick and easy job. Clean that hub up and put a bit of never seize or spray some cold galvi on it to stop it rusting again.

Yeah I'm more than a bit jealous....

My success rate with aftermarket drums is very, very low. Especially after a few thousand miles. They either have finish issues that cause the shoes to click or they are out-of-round. Keep us updated.

Nice job. Seems like an easier/better setup than I faced on my 96 Ram.

Have you considered painting the drums To prevent surface rust? I wonder if they make a clear high temperature paint…. Or, I’ve had great luck with cold galvanizing paint on rotor hats, I’d guess it might work well here as well.
I'd paint the drums satin black.

Back