Remington Files Chapter 11 Again

Remington has filed for chapter 11 protection for a second time.

Last edited:
The 700 trigger issue settlements, and recall didn't help.

I don't have any ill will against Remington (maybe a little for shutting down the Marlin factory) but I've used and enjoyed their rifles/shotguns for years. That said every 700 I buy (have 3 currently) gets a Timney trigger immediately that has a different safety design. Of my 3, 2 went off with just the safety being turned off and my finger no where near the trigger in a deer stand... It only takes that happening once to scare you pretty badly. Mine are from the 70's-80's well before the years recalled.

I don't have any ill will against Remington (maybe a little for shutting down the Marlin factory) but I've used and enjoyed their rifles/shotguns for years. That said every 700 I buy (have 3 currently) gets a Timney trigger immediately that has a different safety design. Of my 3, 2 went off with just the safety being turned off and my finger no where near the trigger in a deer stand... It only takes that happening once to scare you pretty badly. Mine are from the 70's-80's well before the years recalled.
Mine have Timney triggers as well.

Same. My Model 700 from the 90's got a Timney trigger after it fired when I released the safety. I called Remington and even though it was older than the recalled rifles they were willing to send me a shipping label and install a new style trigger assembly for free. I thought that was a very good offer but decided against removing and reinstalling the scope for shipment. I just purchased a Timney trigger instead and installed it. I've been extremely happy with the Timney.

Wow I had about 3 700's of that vintage and never had that happen. Scary to think of for sure.

As a huge Marlin fan I do have a decent chip on my shoulder about that.

We'll they should be plenty busy now, manufacturing to fill empty shelves. I had also wondered about the liability and warranty costs for some models. I have no idea what their margin is for their popular models.

Back