Reliability of European Makes and cars in general

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Eh, slap a German badge on this Sienna and edy would proclaim it the best family vehicle ever built.
Everyone knows somebody with a high miles daily driver Sienna and they don't fall apart in or out as edy claims they do.
Also possible that edy bought a really well used van that the BMW dealer he got it from picked up at auction.

If I was that easy to trick into buying actual trash, I would buy brand new Subaru.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
No, it's not an urban myth.
Manufacturers in Europe are under strict guidelines to ensure their vehicles have as much recyclable content as possible. They are essentially responsible for their vehicles "from cradle to grave"
If not, it ends up in landfills for eons.

Downside of this is many components are made with materials which attract mice, rats and various other rodents (soy, hemp, etc) are all being used.

Officially the program may have started in the 2000's, but many manufacturers were implementing bio-degradable and recyclable (biodegradable mostly) components since the 1980's and 1990's.

To those of you who think Volvo was immune to this, take a look at early 80's models. Volvo foolishly designed a biodegradable wiring harness to fall apart (the insulation) after 15 years or so. The insulation would literally flake away causing electrical shorts. Oodles of fun repairing that one!
lol.gif

Here's some reading for the disbelievers out there:
https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/special-report-cars-made-of-plants.html

https://www.wheels.ca/news/rodent-damage/

Yep. IIRC the program started in Germany during the 80's-90's. A current example of such nonsense was a decision by BMW to use a plastic oil filter housing. They are/were always aluminium but for a short time they used plastic on a 4 cylinder engine. Of course they started leaking so BMW replaced them all with a metal part.

Originally Posted by benjy
my fully galvanized bodied 2001 VW jetta was the BEST vehicle i ever owned! 200,000 miles of salty Pa roads + no rust except the corners where dealer mud flaps were + only surface rust, using some oil but still 20 on the boost-vac gauge i installed, still running great when traded on a lo mile 2001 Audi TT 225Q roadster, the same but different!! both manual tranny's of course.

I had a 1999.5 Jetta and the arms used to raise/lower the windows were plastic. I had the car repainted because of some hail damage and the arms had deformed from the heat used while the car was the oven and the interior plastics (dash in particular) turned ashy and/or brittle.

Originally Posted by dishdude
4 pages and this thread hasn't turned into a GM bash? Something's wrong here!

Indeed, because I suspect GM uses the same parts in its Euro makes that it does in the US Domestics, or maybe not.

My thread wasn't indented to bash Euro makes, but an attempt to explain why euro cars specifically and all cars in general have certain issues. Euro manufacturers don't want to build problematic vehicles but they are to some degree forced to.

Last edited:
Having lived in Europe, I don't recall us putting Japanese cars on a pedestal for reliability and putting down Euro cars. It was a mixed bag with FIATs and Toyota Hilux being the most long lived. Not sure why FIAT had such longevity, though. Pandas and Unos were quite good cars

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Having lived in Europe, I don't recall us putting Japanese cars on a pedestal for reliability and putting down Euro cars. It was a mixed bag with FIATs and Toyota Hilux being the most long lived. Not sure why FIAT had such longevity, though. Pandas and Unos were quite good cars

Old Panda was a legend. Uno was good car too. But Tipo? Holy moly was that disaster.

Yup, Europeans at least have some sense left to support their own manufacturing base. North American customers were convinced that Japanese car manufacturers are the gods of automotive world. Yet, these supposedly superior machines have yet to make a significant dent in the European market.

I was in the local Mercedes dealership last Friday to help a friend get a really clean 2007 Acura TSX that was traded in on a new Benz.
Man there were a bunch of gorgeous cars!

The finance guy (at the end who took my check) told me his wife drove a big SUV.
He said it was the best car he had ever owned, especially in the snow going skiing.
He said he would never buy; only lease and let the next buyer deal with the electrical issues.
Hard to believe; hard to write this post.

Last edited:
In the 80's when a lot of consumers got burned by poor products from the Big-3 in the smaller engine segment thanks to increasing gas prices pushing the market to smaller displacements, they started searching for better and the Japanese were offering somewhat better quality, this quality from the Japanese got really good in the 1990's and the Big-3 although getting better still had a lot of issues with quality in this segment and as such people swung over in masses for their small fuel efficient "couldn't kill 'em" econo boxes (think 90's era Accords, Civics, Corollas, Camry's).

Sadly they are now big and suffering from big company syndrome and their quality is no longer what they once were (again depending on the model), and you have the big-3 that have gotten far better in their quality and I would argue depending on the model are just as good as everything else out there. It has left us with a good model in one segment from one company, but not in another so the consumers really have to do their research to get one that isn't having issues / or that doesn't still need its bugs ironed out.

Adding complexity to the issue is the strive for less pollution and better fuel economy and well that puts stress on all manufacturers to try and adapt and we have seen a lot of technology changes in the last decade and some of it hasn't worked well and problems resulted until they iron out the bugs in the technology. This leads to a lot of "I'll never buy a ..... again" and "Direct Injection is asking for an early death" type stories.

This has been advantageous for Hyundai/Kia as they try to steal some of this market-share offering excellent quality (again not without their issues as well) and more value for your money over the now over-priced Hondas/Toyota's that used to be rock solid reliable but have slipped in recent years in their designs and quality offered compared to the 90's models that just wouldn't die.

Honestly from where I stand and I have seen failures with all OE's I can tell you it really is a mixed bag out there and although generally quality might be better from one OE over another NONE of them are without fault and NONE have a completely rock solid reliable complete line of vehicles. So it really is up to the consumer to do their research and make a decision.

I got burned on a really expensive Toyota. Will that make me never buy Toyota again?, absolutely not... but I will consider not buying something that hasn't been out a while where the bugs are ironed out as was the case of my 8-speed transmission. I ended up with something I knew would get me through that, that I have experience with in the family and that's the Caravan. Been out for a long time and the bugs have been worked out along the way: Revised head design, Revised oil pump design and a few other things that changed since my first one in 2012. That said the 2012 is still going in our family with over 300K though.

So in a short summary...

1) Don't buy a vehicle that hasn't been out a while.
2) Do your research and see what problems that particular vehicle is experiencing if any and then decide to purchase.
3) Consider how many of the model you are considering purchasing are sold per year and are they all having problems or is it just a bad batch working through the system?
(Think Hyundai engine problems for example versus all the engines they have and will sell)
4) Is the value proposition of it being worth it paying boatloads more for a Honda / Toyota based on their past reputation for a vehicle today versus say a Hyundai or Chevy that is considerably less and covered by a better / same warranty?

Remember: Inevitably things are going to break with all vehicles, but it's the expensive stuff you want to make sure they have right for the amount of time you are going to own it.
Don't write off an automaker simply because it has a problem with certain vehicles or you are going to end up walking because ALL OE'S have some sort of issues going on at all times.

Last edited:
I think I can speak intelligently on this, currently owning a 1999 Grand Marquis and having owned from all the big three a VW, some Mazdas, some Toyotas and a Nissan.

They all break.

The MGM, while durable, has more squeeks and rattles with only 96k miles on the clock compared to some of the Toyotas and Mazdas I've had with similar age and 2.5x the mileage.

While my VW experience was an 81 Rabbit diesel, the engine was largely bulletproof. But the car around it managed to have leaky windshield which leaked into electrical components in the dash, a leaky back window/hatch and biodegradable window regulators that I got good at changing.

Our 2010 Nissan with about 180k miles on it now is not wearing as well as the 2002 Camry we retired with 277k miles on the clock. But it's been mechanically reliable, CVT included. The only repair so far has been an AC compressor replacement about 100k miles ago.

The 2002 Camry only needed a starter, a new axle, a door handle and one of the 4 ignition coils. Well it needed a new exhaust and tires when we finally got rid of it. But since that would have been more than the car was worth, we retired it when we got the 2017 Rav4.

The MGM has needed a new drivers window regulator and A/C compressor in the ~30k miles I've had it.

My 2003 Mazda Protege5 ate headlights like candy, needed control arms, a new axle, and was rusty.

I'm not counting the initial engine rebuild as I don't know if a plug dropped it's platinum pad and destroyed the #2 cylinder or something dropped in there. Hard to blame the car, so I don't hold that against it. Nor do I praise the engine for going 250K miles as it was rebuilt before 90k....

The 2012 Mazda3 seems to be pretty good. My only complaint has been the dash pad separating... Unsightly, but doesn't impact driving the car.

They all break.

But the citation of the Panther platform got me thinking.

It's a big, durable car, but doesn't use the space very well. Cavernous trunk, so good to take 4 people to the airport with luggage for a long trip. But I don't think I'd want to take the long trip in it.

Oh, I suspect I'm going to need to change the rear air springs pretty soon. The pump runs as soon as I start it, so they are beginning to lose air when the car is parked....

It's better than the old VW was, but not as good as the Mazdas, Toyotas and Nissan have been.

I have comparable experiences with my '94 Geo Prizm, 03 Corolla and the 03 or 04 Vibe that my son totaled.

Not going to win any performance driving accolades. But they were good, reliable, transportation.

But they all break and all need M&R.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I think the biggest variable in how reliable a vehicle is and how long it lasts is primarily dependent on the owner and where the car resides. Japanese cars have their issues, German cars have their issues, and American cars have their issues. Treat them with respect and maintain them well, most any car will provide trouble free service and last a very long time.

Scott

^This. Other than that this thread is a typical Euro car bash thread, if its not a Panther, has a bed on the back or is Japanese its a POS, same old song and dance and not worth posting an opinion in.

Originally Posted by KrisZ

Yup, Europeans at least have some sense left to support their own manufacturing base. North American customers were convinced that Japanese car manufacturers are the gods of automotive world. Yet, these supposedly superior machines have yet to make a significant dent in the European market.

National pride is one reason. On the other hand back around 2006 I remember reading a BMW executive saying that Lexus wasn't yet a competitor in Germany because they didn't use sodium filled valves and consequently couldn't run at the high speeds in Germany. With the autobahn becoming more congested and in disrepair oh how times have changed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

National pride is one reason. On the other hand back around 2006 I remember reading a BMW executive saying that Lexus wasn't yet a competitor in Germany because they didn't use sodium filled valves and consequently couldn't run at the high speeds in Germany. With the autobahn becoming more congested and in disrepair oh how times have changed.

Times did not change from stand point of Japanese penetration on European market. And Toyota's abysmal experience with diesels did not help that.

It is hard to explain people that Japanese manufacturers in Europe are less trusted than European in North America. European market requires highly sophisticated engines due to high gas prices, speeds etc. That is when this "legendary" Japanese reliability goes to the wind. One thing though where Japanese are famous in Europe is rust.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Times did not change from stand point of Japanese penetration on European market. And Toyota's abysmal experience with diesels did not help that.

Although diesel passenger cars are on the verge becoming phased out in Europe were those BMW or Toyota diesels?

Although diesel passenger cars are on the verge becoming phased out in Europe were those BMW or Toyota diesels?

When diesels became big hit around 1998-2000, Toyota and other Japanese manufacturers decided to try to get piece of cake. So Toyota offered two engines, 1.4and 2.2. It is hard to decide which one had more abysmal reliability. 1.4 whose common rail pumps lasted approximately as brake pads, or 2.2 which could not make 60k with original piston rings and rod bearings.
That is when Toyota decided to source diesel from BMW and abandon this foolish business of keeping up with rest of the crowd.

Originally Posted by StevieC
In the 80's when a lot of consumers got burned by poor products from the Big-3 in the smaller engine segment thanks to increasing gas prices pushing the market to smaller displacements, they started searching for better and the Japanese were offering somewhat better quality, this quality from the Japanese got really good in the 1990's and the Big-3 although getting better still had a lot of issues with quality in this segment and as such people swung over in masses for their small fuel efficient "couldn't kill 'em" econo boxes (think 90's era Accords, Civics, Corollas, Camry's).

Sadly they are now big and suffering from big company syndrome and their quality is no longer what they once were (again depending on the model), and you have the big-3 that have gotten far better in their quality and I would argue depending on the model are just as good as everything else out there. It has left us with a good model in one segment from one company, but not in another so the consumers really have to do their research to get one that isn't having issues / or that doesn't still need its bugs ironed out.

Adding complexity to the issue is the strive for less pollution and better fuel economy and well that puts stress on all manufacturers to try and adapt and we have seen a lot of technology changes in the last decade and some of it hasn't worked well and problems resulted until they iron out the bugs in the technology. This
leads to a lot of "I'll never buy a ..... again" and "Direct Injection is asking for an early death" type stories.

This has been advantageous for Hyundai/Kia as they try to steal some of this market-share offering excellent quality (again not without their issues as well) and more value for your money over the now over-priced Hondas/Toyota's that used to be rock solid reliable but have slipped in recent years in their designs and quality offered compared to the 90's models that just wouldn't die.

Honestly from where I stand and I have seen failures with all OE's I can tell you it really is a mixed bag out there and although generally quality might be better from one OE over another NONE of them are without fault and NONE have a completely rock solid reliable complete line of vehicles. So it really is up to the consumer to do their research and make a decision.

I got burned on a really expensive Toyota. Will that make me never buy Toyota again?, absolutely not... but I will consider not buying something that hasn't been out a while where the bugs are ironed out as was the case of my 8-speed transmission. I ended up with something I knew would get me through that, that I have experience with in the family and that's the Caravan. Been out for a long time and the bugs have been worked out along the way: Revised head design, Revised oil pump design and a few other things that changed since my first one in 2012. That said the 2012 is still going in our family with over 300K though.

So in a short summary...

1) Don't buy a vehicle that hasn't been out a while.
2) Do your research and see what problems that particular vehicle is experiencing if any and then decide to purchase.
3) Consider how many of the model you are considering purchasing are sold per year and are they all having problems or is it just a bad batch working through the system?
(Think Hyundai engine problems for example versus all the engines they have and will sell)
4) Is the value proposition of it being worth it paying boatloads more for a Honda / Toyota based on their past reputation for a vehicle today versus say a Hyundai or Chevy that is considerably less and covered by a better / same warranty?

Remember: Inevitably things are going to break with all vehicles, but it's the expensive stuff you want to make sure they have right for the amount of time you are going to own it.
Don't write off an automaker simply because it has a problem with certain vehicles or you are going to end up walking because ALL OE'S have some sort of issues going on at all times.

Honda and Toyota remain as clever and as innovative as ever and their products reflect this.
Both the Accord and the Camry are compelling value propositions for anyone who actually understands how to shop for and buy a new car.
The nineties Japanese cars weren't "somewhat" better than domestic offerings either. They were from a different planet in terms of engineering, construction quality, driving pleasure and longevity, not to mention the smoother engines, better fuel economy and pleasant manual shifters, since manuals remained common in the eighties and nineties. There has never been a better shifting five speed than the one in the two '86 Civic Wagons we had back in the day and there may have also never been a better designed small car. I write all of the above having owned mostly Hondas from the mid seventies to now, along with a few Subarus and a single Ford, an Aerostar which proved to be a very good machine, as well as some MB and BMW cars which were also pretty good in terms of reliability, although as new cars they would have been priced well beyond what I would have paid for them.
My Accord Hybrid is an example of just how good Japanese designs remain.
At 7K+ miles, I've enjoyed 43+ mpg from new, including some weeks of very cold and snowy weather, and this from a car that doesn't even have a transmission.
In warmer weather and on lower RVP summer blend fuel, I'll see more than 48 mpg, which I observed briefly in the warmish weather I saw after I bought the thing.
Ford and GM both offer comparable hybrid sedans that don't come close to either the performance or the fuel economy that this Accord offers.
So, no, the domestic badged makes haven't caught up.

I respect your opinion, however, mine is different from seeing what came through the door at my dad's shops and in what volumes and what trends of the same problem. Yours is based on personal experience with a lot less sample data being your own vehicles and your own limited experiences.

It's fine and given what you were exposed to it has shaped your view but what I'm saying is that if you saw what I did in the same number of vehicles it would be different. People bring you their broken vehicles and trends appear. It's far different than seeing the good ones you own personally which can be different then the trend out there in general with a specific vehicle make / model / auto-maker.

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Most of us can only go by our personal experiences though. We are not all mechanics or fleet owners.

I am of the generation that got burned by the horrible quality of American vehicles in the 70's and 80's. Never again.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Eh, slap a German badge on this Sienna and edy would proclaim it the best family vehicle ever built.
Everyone knows somebody with a high miles daily driver Sienna and they don't fall apart in or out as edy claims they do.
Also possible that edy bought a really well used van that the BMW dealer he got it from picked up at auction.

If I was that easy to trick into buying actual trash, I would buy brand new Subaru.

Strong words from a guy who has a minivan and a VW CUV.
We sometimes need to let go of our preconceptions and open our minds to the reality around us rather than clinging to our prejudices.
We've bought two brand new Subarus and both are tanks, including the '09 that is now eleven years from build in Japan
There is no better AWD system, certainly not in any VW.
If your budget will accommodate a brand new Subaru, I think you'd find that they offer models that suit your needs and that you'd find better than what you're now driving.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I respect your opinion, however, mine is different from seeing what came through the door at my dad's shops and in what volumes and what trends of the same problem. Yours is based on personal experience with a lot less sample data being your own vehicles and your own limited experiences.

It's fine and given what you were exposed to it has shaped your view but what I'm saying is that if you saw what I did in the same number of vehicles it would be different. People bring you their broken vehicles and trends appear. It's far different than seeing the good ones you own personally which can be different then the trend out there in general with a specific vehicle make / model / auto-maker.

cheers3.gif

You focus on a small part of my post but even there fail to grasp the larger point.
Resale value, lease residuals as well as the very large scale fleet experience reflected in CR's reliability surveys all support the point that these Japanese nameplates of the nineties were simply more durable and reliable than either European or US domestic brand cars.
Beyond that, they were nicer in and out, they were more entertaining to drive and they offered better performance and fuel economy.
That this continues is reflected in any comparison of a Camry or an Accord with a Fusion or a Malibu.
The American makers have long proclaimed that the superiority of the Japanese brands is an artifact of the past, but the metal available at the dealers contradicts that claim.
I Illustrated that in comparing my Hybrid Accord with the hybrid offerings from GM and Ford, which offer both inferior fuel economy and acceleration.
The American models aren't an especially great value proposition either and with Toyota and Honda both having built vehicles in this country for many years now, the argument that GM and Ford have to bear heavy legacy costs wears a little thin, particularly since GM washed its hands of most of these costs in its packaged bankruptcy filing and Chrysler did the same.
The Japanese makers have simply done a better job of managing their businesses in the past four decades than have GM, Ford and whatever what remains of Chrysler is calling itself these days.
Superior management brings superior product built with superior control of costs and it has always been just that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back