Regretted Selling a Car?

First knee jerk reaction is sure many but the more I think about it the answer is none. If I didn't sell them I would still own them, one of them would be over 70 years old today, the others 35+. I ask myself would I really want a dozen cars hanging around all needing unicorn parts and garaging? No way, I sold them because I wanted something else for a reason.

The fond memories are being disguised by time. true some I probably should have kept a little longer before getting rid of them because their value increased quickly but they would have gone down the road just the same.

Hindsight does indeed wear rose-colored glasses. But regret hit very soon after a few of the transactions. With these two, especially.

Sundance.jpg
Talon.jpg

We regretted selling my sisters 1994 Dodge Intrepid. We sold it to a mechanic who took it down the interstate going about 100mph to test it out and shot the fan and water pump through the radiator and sent it to the junkyard we were so upset especially since my sister wanted the car back because she decided to get her license then. And it was older so it was better anyway and it went really good in the snow.

I regret trading in a 2001 Bonneville GXP that I had souped up, had dyno tuned to some 350fwhp, comfortable daily driver that got good gas mileage. Traded it for a 2009 Caliber SRT4. The Caliber was arguably faster (better traction for sure) but came with a car payment. I sold it a couple years later after the novelty wore off just so I could get rid of the car payment. Wish I had kept that Bonneville, realized later how special those supercharged Buick V6's were.
Maybe a 2004/2005 Bonneville GXP? That was the only years the GXP was offered in the Bonneville. And it was a horrible marriage with the northstar engine.

I think you had the SSEi, the supercharged 3.8 v6. Other the the horrible looking shark nose front bumper, one of the very best sedans GM ever made. Super dependable, adequate power, nice ride and very fuel efficient.

I regret turning the '86 W126 MB over to the insurance company after they totaled it in '04. The damage from a hit-and-run driver was all cosmetic; the doors still opened and closed, the car still drove beautifully. But they decided (reasonably, I guess, for them) that the cost to fix everything exceeded the value of the 18-year-old car. I wish I'd bought it back and had it repainted.

I have been blessed to be able to have a keen eye for cars/trucks and their value. I find really good deals, put a few hours into them, enjoy the driving experience of something new, then sell them. Most of my cars don't last two years in my possession. I give half of what I make to my church, as I feel I have been gifted in this way. I look at cars/trucks as just material possessions, but certainly one of my favorites ;-) I have certainly had a few cross my hands that stand out.

Some of my favorites that are no longer in my possession.
Shelby Dodge Charger
Audi A3
BMW 750IL
Pontiac Grand Prix GPX
1st gen Mazda Miata

My "go to" is my Silverado - something I plan on handing down to my son, so that is going nowhere. My bride and I have agreed I can have two "toy" cars - one is my Fiat, and one is the Xterra - both have lasted longer than any other car I have ever owned. I don't know if I am getting old and lazy, or if there are just no good deals recently, or I have just settled on cars that fit my lifestyle. I'm sure there will be another that grabs my attention at some point and will force another sale ;-)

I have regrets not selling a few cars earlier before problem arise, after fixing quite a few simple problems I still ended up selling them for the same price.

I regret selling my first brand new car: 1998 Neon R/T (I know, its just a Neon).

2 doors, 155HP, 5 speed manual....that was such a fun little car and it surprised a whole lot of people that tried to race me :)

2001 Honda S2000 Silver w/ Red/black interior, one of my favorite cars ever and the absolute best feeling transmission that I've experienced. World class performance for its category and Honda quality and reliability. I sold it in 2009 with 17k miles to free up space for the Lotus, but should have found a way to keep it. The S2K has 95% of the Lotus' capabilities with 1% of the issues. S2K's are well regarded judging by their current values, but still underappreciated for what they are.

91 Mercury Tracer LTS(Mazda 1.8 liter). Was well built and light. Felt much faster than 127 hp. Great sleeper.

Can’t stay I regret selling any anything. Had a good reason for getting rid of everything. I don’t tend to get attached to vehicles. I enjoy them but when their time is up I move on.

Had other people be more attached to my vehicle than me. My family and friends still talk about my Honda from high school that I tuned to run like a scaled ape. Buddy of mine still talks about the Dodge I sold him that he wrecked. Wife cried when I sold my truck that she couldn’t even drive because it was too big.

I deeply regret selling our 2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4.0L. I love the looks and it was loaded with leather, the better 4wd system that allowed full time use or part time, nice black with black interior and just a little chrome. The limited model was so much better looking than the Sport or Classic. It was problem free. I sold it when I got my 08 CTS. Didn't have too but we didn't need it. Now that truck will be a collectors item like the old grand wagoneers down the line. I still look for another but they are all beat up and not in the A condition mine was. Some guy from wisconsin flew in to texas and drove it back home.

I had a 67 F250 that I bought as an investment vehicle when I was 16. Ended up coming out good on it but still miss it. Laugh all you want but my 94 Tercel is gonna kill me the last time it leaves the driveway. Bought it my senior year of high school for $1500 for a college commuter car. That was a 2 hour round trip every day. Ended up taking a job in the same town and continued to drive it. It’s setting beside the house waiting on me to acquire enough parts for a suspension overhaul and all the little stuff it needs. Hoping to squeeze another 100-200k out of it.

2008 CR-V. Probably the most trouble-free vehicle I've ever had, bought it brand new. 120,000 miles, never a check engine light, no rust, interior was spotless, and it was paid off. Only thing I ever had to repair on it was a cracked nylon bushing on the hood prop rod. Must have been smoking something and thought I would trade up to a larger vehicle, a used 2010 Traverse. Big mistake. Went from the most trouble-free to the most problematic vehicle. When the timing chains wore out on the Traverse at 170,000 miles, it was going to cost more than it was worth to fix it, and I'm sure the CR-V would have easily outlasted it.
Probably not, if the A/C compressor exploded (very common on CR-Vs). Repairing that sometimes totals the car.

Back