Regretted Selling a Car?

I regret trading in a 2001 Bonneville GXP that I had souped up, had dyno tuned to some 350fwhp, comfortable daily driver that got good gas mileage. Traded it for a 2009 Caliber SRT4. The Caliber was arguably faster (better traction for sure) but came with a car payment. I sold it a couple years later after the novelty wore off just so I could get rid of the car payment. Wish I had kept that Bonneville, realized later how special those supercharged Buick V6's were.

For a while I regretted selling my 96' Chevy C1500 Silverado 5.7L. Loved that truck. Very reliable, plenty of power, smooth highway cruiser.

But I was in college and gas was killing me. Sold it for a 97' Camry. I don't regret it anymore, I have no use for a truck (have a trailer I pull with my Jeep).

My Jeep I will never sell, ever. It was my grandpa's. I will keep it until I die. It sleeps in the garage and only comes out once every 2-3 weeks.

Yep, two of them. I had a 1993 Wrangler that was just a hoot. I sold it at 10 years old and 130,000 miles and it was in perfect shape, even after lots of off-roading over that timespan. I kicked myself every day until I got my 2008 Wrangler in the fall of 07.

The next one was a 2006 Pontiac Solstice. That car was so much fun to drive. I had it 3 years and about 35k miles. It was flawless and the clutch and shifter felt incredibly good. I could flick through the gears like it was a video game. The car also handled really well. The steering was quick and precise with excellent on-center feel. That car was so much fun in the twisties with the top down. Had a great stereo, too, and got excellent gas mileage.

In both cases, my wife really made me sell them. I wouldn't have done so if she didn't insist on it. I just have too many toys, so something had to go at the time.

Lesson learned. The 08 runs/drives like new and the 18 is off to a great start, with not one single issue, even a fit/finish issue, in the first 2 years/26k miles. The 08 came with a liftime powertrain warranty and I purchased a bumper to bumper lifetime warranty on the 2018, so again, they aren't going anywhere until they rust out. (No rust on the 2008 after 12.5 Indiana winters. Not bad!)

Yes, I bought a 1 year old Maxima in 1998. Was paid off with about 95k on it, ran like a top, no issues with it whatsoever. Sold it WAY to early at about 125k. I run cars until they nickle/dime me. I am not out to impress anyone. This was a vehicle I should have held on to for a few more years.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
Most recent regret is trading my '17 Mustang V6 for an '18 Ecoboost. Ecoboost is faster, but that V6 sounded so much better, and the 6-speed auto was MUCH smoother than the 10 in the Ecoboost. Still don't know why I did it.

It's pretty well known that a quality tune makes the Ecoboost much smoother and more powerful. The reviews state that it transforms the car!

I regret trading my 01 Cadillac Seville STS. Don't get me wrong the happiest day of my life was when I got rid of that disaster on four wheels but it was so evil mechanically that it should have been cast back into the steel foundry from whence it came. But I was poor, so I traded it to one of the most dishonest Mazda dealers on the east coast for a beige 13,000 mile 05 Mazda 6 v6 wagon which ran great till 150,000 miles, that's the one I actually regret selling, it wasn't fancy but it was a reliable practical car. Only repairs outside maintenance items were an air intake tube that cracked due to age/heat and a set of front wheel bearings.

1966 Dodge Coronet 440 2dr Hardtop 426 HEMI Automatic. A very plane-jane sleeper car with no options except for an AM radio, and an absolute BEAST! I bought it used in 1972 from an old farmer and sold it for twice as much as I paid for it 2 months later. I kick myself every time I think about having sold it. Jay Leno has one of these and claims that it is one of his favorite cars.

Still have my first car. Had it 26 1/2 years. 1980 Chevrolet Camaro. Wrecked it in the rain 5 months after I got it. Decided to keep it and repair it. It started life as a base model, so I cloned it into a Z28...but with a LOT of extras.

As a matter of fact, the restoration is almost done. Having a new front windshield installed tomorrow as well as resetting the rear windshield we cut out for body work. Just got it insured and registered this week and SHOULD be ready to bring it home next weekend.

Yeah, my 1995 Probe GT. I took immaculate care of it, and I know it made it over 200k miles. That should have been my DD, but I traded it in for the Mustang and then bought a $1000 Oldsmobile for my DD. Should have kept it.

When I nearly teared up our last moments together, that should have been the sign to keep it. #carnerdalert

Not so much regretted as wishing I could have kept them running longer at a reasonable cost.

My '89 GMC S-15 Jimmy made 160,000 miles but at the end it was rusting big-time and I had some electrical gremlins that made it less reliable. Finally got to the point where it just didn't make sense to keep it, and after 9/11, the manufacturers were eager to sell new vehicles so that's when the Dakota came into the stable.

My '99 Malibu met a similar fate, not as many miles nor rust, but a lot of things started breaking around the 7-year mark and several weird electrical things started happening. I was on the road a lot then so I didn't want to get stuck somewhere like rural Minnesota on account of that. Hyundai just came out with the redesigned 2011 Sonata, and the dealer wanted the 2010's out of his lot.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I regret trading in my 04 S60R.

I think your the first person in history who's regretted trading in a Volvo.
May I ask what particularly did you like or favor about it that isn't available in other cars in the segment?

I couldn't wait to get out of my 03 S60 SE.
Best decision I ever made.
Only things I missed was the front seat comfort and the "built for the Arctic" heaters.
Everything about that car screamed "comfy" and "old person".

The S60R was a gem of a car. 300hp, 300ft-lb torque, 6 speed manual, AWD, 4 pot Brembos on all 4 corners, Active suspension. Plus it was quiet, which is completely opposite of the Mustang, but was nice because I could still fit in with the econoboxes.

Now you've convinced ME to get one too!
Too bad most are thrashed and in dire need of a complete rebuild by this point.

Originally Posted by opus1
Not so much regretted as wishing I could have kept them running longer at a reasonable cost.

Yeah, mine isn't regret, the vehicle was just not reasonably repairable. Sure wish I could have kept it though. 1995 Explorer Sport 4WD with pretty much every option except sunroof and leather, Willow Green on Willow Green (yes, interior too). It only had 158K and ran and drove great when I finally had to sell it, but the body and plumbing for brakes/fuel were rusted beyond any reasonable repair.

I didn't really regret selling my 2001 Ranger XL I4 manual, but I did find myself missing having a manual after a while. Years later I bought my V6 manual 4x4 Ranger...and it mostly sits around.

Two actually. A 1989 Honda civic hatchback with a 4 speed. That was a great little car, very simple and reliable power train! The other was a 1978 Camaro. I'm not a Chevy guy at all, but that car was a joy to drive.

I regret trading in my 1990 Mazda B2600i in 1994 for a Dodge Ram. Got rid of the Ram 6 mo later.

Regret selling my 2006 Honda Ridgeline. I don't regret buying the current DD Tundra that I replaced it with but I regret selling the Ridgeline a month after buying the Tundra.

I regret not pursuing legal action against the woman who plowed into the back of my wife in her 2007 CR-V. That thing was going to Last 500k. We had 100k on it and it was 7 years old. Looked like new and drove like it.

I regret getting rid of my 71 El Camino and 2004 Monte Carlo SS Dale Jr. edition. The El Camino I traded to my brother in law for his 69 Caprice four door with a factory 396. I later pulled the motor and trans and put it in my 70 Monte Carlo where it still sits today.

The 04 Monte Carlo was traded in on my 14 Mustang GT. I loved the Monte until my fiancée bought a used 07 Mustang GT and then I wanted a V8 performance car so I got the 14 Mustang GT.

The Monte was a nice looking car and the supercharged 3800 V6 had good power plus I was always getting compliments on the car. I wish I could have afforded to keep it and get the Mustang.

My 05 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins.I ordered it when i worked at the dealer.1st vehicle i ever bought that was exactly the way i wanted it.13 years and 127,000 miles and one nasty wreck it was involved in and i loved that truck.Never gave me any problems.Just usual wear stuff and maintenance.Someone got a very good truck

Back