Registering a Vacation Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live and work in NY and I have a vacation house in Orlando close by to my in-laws. Right now, all of my cars are registered and reside in NY but I am thinking about keeping the Fusion as a vacation car in Florida and getting a new car for NY. Is there a way to register the car down there and still retain my NY license? I still will be living and working in NY. I just want the convenience of having my own car while on vacation and I do not want to have to rent or borrow cars.

My Dad is a NY resident and has a car registered in FL. In fact, you can't keep a NY registered car in FL full time. Although FL does not require a safety inspection, you can't renew a NY registration if your NYS inspection is overdue, and you can only get a NYS inspection by plugging the computer into the ODBII port and transmitting the report to the NY DMV. You need to be at a licensed NY inspection station to do that.

Thousands of non-resident snowbirds have cars registered in FL, should be a piece of cake at the FL DMV.

Dadto2, that's what I was thinking. It looks like I am going to call the DMV down there to find out the process.

Bullwinkle, for starters, the car must be insured for the location that it is kept. Also, I only go down there for a month or two out of the year (not consecutively). So it would be worthwhile to be able to apply storage insurance on it while I'm not using it. NY does not have storage insurance. It is also annoying to have to drive the car up every year for state inspections and such as dadto2 mentioned.

Originally Posted by ssamaroo01
That sucks. Thanks Delta.

Hmm, looks like I was wrong. Took some digging, but it looks like it's possible, but like you said you'll have to contact the FL DMV. Sorry for my previous wrong information, I've been looking to relocate to FL possibly and got my information mixed up.

Registering a car in Florida is no problem at all for out of state residents. It's not cheap, but it's no problem.

The good news is that FL has no yearly inspections of any sort. And you can renew your registration online. Once it's registered and insured, you are good to go.

Originally Posted by dadto2
My Dad is a NY resident and has a car registered in FL. In fact, you can't keep a NY registered car in FL full time. Although FL does not require a safety inspection, you can't renew a NY registration if your NYS inspection is overdue, and you can only get a NYS inspection by plugging the computer into the ODBII port and transmitting the report to the NY DMV. You need to be at a licensed NY inspection station to do that.

Thousands of non-resident snowbirds have cars registered in FL, should be a piece of cake at the FL DMV.

Yeah, I can't see any government NOT trying to take in all the taxes they can today. For a State/County/Muni to get stupid about a situation like this is crazy.

"Sure, you can register your car in FL, sir, even though you live in New York. Please pay this amount....."

I just got off the phone with someone from the DMV in Florida. They said that all I need is the title, registration and my license and I can register the car down there. I do not need to change my license.

I just got off the phone with someone from the DMV in Florida. They said that all I need is the title, registration and my license and I can register the car down there. I do not need to change my license.

Just curious, did you discuss fees with them? Wondering if they will expect you to pay sales tax on the vehicle, or differential sales tax from what you've already paid in NY?

How often are you down there? I can't imagine keeping such a new car down there for seldom use makes more sense than renting, as needed.

I go down every 2-4 months. I figure storage insurance while stored in a garage should be relatively cheap. I haven't yet contacted my insurance yet to get quotes.

I go down every 2-4 months. I figure storage insurance while stored in a garage should be relatively cheap. I haven't yet contacted my insurance yet to get quotes.

Storage insurance is a fraction of normal insurance, at least when I last needed it using USAA, about a decade ago.

You travel down every 2-4 months, but for how long each time? What I mean to say, is that your frequency SEEMS often, until you extrapolate out to years. You're only traveling down three to six times per year. I cannot imagine a rental costing even close to what you're planning will be. With the money saved, you might even be able to rent a nice sporty convertible each time, if that would make you happier. If that doesn't make you happy, you can either save even more money renting a compact car or enjoy a new mid-sized vehicle each time, giving you a feel of the market for when your DD Fusion DOES need to be replaced back in NY.

With a rental you wouldn't need a taxi to get home from the airport, either; you'd just pick it up at the airport and be on your merry way!

Originally Posted by Delta
I'm pretty sure you have to have the license of the state you are registering the vehicle in. A quick search showed you need a FL drivers license to register a car there. We ran into this issue with my mother and grandmother registering their cars in PA and MD with a Mississippi license.

https://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/car-registration.php

Not true. I have a NC drivers license, a second home in Florida and two years ago I was able to register a 1987 sports car at my Florida address. This was in Sumter County. Check with your LOCAL licensing office in Florida, not the main DMV office.

Regardless of what the person on the phone said, I would bring some sort of proof of Florida address with you...just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back