Redline or Amsoil Signature Series 5-30 for F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: zpinch
Amsoil is the most robust 'all around' oils you can buy... best extreme pressure anti wear results (top tier additives)

But that isn't relevant to your engine, which is why that test is for gear oils, not engine oils
wink.gif

, one of the best NOACK volatility test results (7% for 5w30, 5.5% for 5w20), oxidation resistance, TBN, the best low temperature crank-ability(3727cP @ -22F).

Yes, the NOACK is nice and low and the CCS performance is also excellent. However, Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 also has exceptional NOACK (6.6% as tested) and low temperature performance (3,827cP):

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/penzultra.htm

Simply put, AMSOIL SS oil is in a class of it's own when it comes to having an oil that exceeds all other oils in almost every aspect of oil performance.

+1 AMSOIL SS

I wouldn't go quite that far. They are probably the best available oils for extended drain intervals. And I am quite pleased to see AMSOIL getting manufacturer approvals now (like LL-04, A40...etc) but there are other excellent products out there as well from both other blenders (Redline for example) and the majors (Mobil/SOPUS/BP). The performance specs of Shell's GTL-based products (on paper) have been impressive to say the least.

Re the Ultra comment: the Ultra PQIA tested is the "old" formula that is no longer available. Its replacement, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, is nowhere near as impressive,at least on paper. And who can find it anyway?

Originally Posted By: robertcope
redline is an oil that is designed for shot(er) OCI, track use really, or high performance cars with again short OCI. it has very poor thermo oxidation, baaad low temperature crank viscosity... because the oil molecules are larger. that is credit where credit is due, its a great oil.... for what it was designed for, not daily drivers in different weather conditions.

I think Red Line would disagree with you. Example from their 0W-20 oil: "Recommended for small cars and hybrids, and some trucks like Honda Insight and Civic Hybrids, Toyota Solara, Camry, Rav4 and Tundra 5.7L, Venza". Do those sound like cars that are not daily drivers?

robert

RL first and foremost is a small boutique race oil formulator.
Even their PCMO oils are thinly disguised race oils with the base oil chemistry and additive levels to prove it. Their so-called 0W-20 grade
is no exception and with a HTHSV of 2.9cP and known shear stability it really is better thought of as a light 30 grade oil.

RL is of course in the business of selling oil so you put whatever spin is necessary to sell what you have no matter how unsuitable your product may be.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Amsoil is the most robust 'all around' oils you can buy... best extreme pressure anti wear results (top tier additives)

But that isn't relevant to your engine, which is why that test is for gear oils, not engine oils
wink.gif

, one of the best NOACK volatility test results (7% for 5w30, 5.5% for 5w20), oxidation resistance, TBN, the best low temperature crank-ability(3727cP @ -22F).

Yes, the NOACK is nice and low and the CCS performance is also excellent. However, Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 also has exceptional NOACK (6.6% as tested) and low temperature performance (3,827cP):

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/penzultra.htm

Simply put, AMSOIL SS oil is in a class of it's own when it comes to having an oil that exceeds all other oils in almost every aspect of oil performance.

+1 AMSOIL SS

I wouldn't go quite that far. They are probably the best available oils for extended drain intervals. And I am quite pleased to see AMSOIL getting manufacturer approvals now (like LL-04, A40...etc) but there are other excellent products out there as well from both other blenders (Redline for example) and the majors (Mobil/SOPUS/BP). The performance specs of Shell's GTL-based products (on paper) have been impressive to say the least.

Re the Ultra comment: the Ultra PQIA tested is the "old" formula that is no longer available. Its replacement, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, is nowhere near as impressive,at least on paper. And who can find it anyway?

I bought a pile of it through NAPA when it was on sale, LOL!
wink.gif

PQIA hasn't tested the new version yet so we don't know if the PDS is wrong, whether they changed it....etc. With the circus going on with the SOPUS PDS's, nobody knows
frown.gif

And yes, I realize that for some, it is hard to find. Availability is all over the map depending on where you are. Their distribution isn't anything like Mobil's, which is something they should learn from IMHO.

I will add that SOPUS will often bottle the new formula before officially advertising the new product SOPUS did this before the SN/GF-5 product line well before SN/GF-5 was the new standard judging by legacy data via VOA's. So recent VOA's of PU may actually be the PUP product in a PU bottle. Remember there are different variations of PU depending on production date it would not surprise me a bit if PU as far back as 1 year ago is actually PUP.

AMSOIL 5w20 is almost a 30 weight oil also, at 2.8cp viscosity, not much lower than their 5w30 oil at 3.1cP...

I think it's good that they don't make there 20 weight oils too thin, because we all know that it is NOT beneficial.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back