Redline or Amsoil Signature Series 5-30 for F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asking your opinions please?
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost. I do drive it hard at the ranch sometimes.
I am going to use Redline or Amsoil Signature Series 5-30.
Price is right at the same. I can find Amsoil locally if needed.
Your thoughts for an Ecoboost please.
Thanks, Larry

Amsoil 5W-30 (or even their 0W-30) would be fine but I wouldn't recommend RL 5W-30 (nor likely would RL) at least not that grade as it's too heavy. Their 5W-20 would be more viscosity appropriate but still the Ecoboost doesn't need all that ZDDP that's in RL.

Quite frankly any name brand OTC 5W-30 synthetic is more than up to the task for what you're using the F150 for (not that said).

I agree with you Caterham. You won't be able to take advantage of extended drains with that engine so there's no use getting an extended oil like Amsoil signature. I would use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30.

Just an occasional flogging and no intent for long drains?

Both of those oils are overkill. Try something more pedestrian, like Mobil 1
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I agree with you Caterham. You won't be able to take advantage of extended drains with that engine so there's no use getting an extended oil like Amsoil signature. I would use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30.

+1 here.

You'll never look back.....

I know that the ecoboost is hard on oil, so my thinking was to get a "tougher" oil. That was the reason for the RL or Amsoil. I won't skimp on the quality, but don't want to throw money away either. Was disappointed with what Pennzoil did to Ultra, but I keep coming back to it. It's not easy to find, but can be found in Texas. I appreciate all of your insight and anything else you might add. Thank you.

I would like to see long term analysis on EB engines. There is a lot of UOA's done within the first 10K of the engines life. Which by itself is harder to go gather relevant data due to all the noise of break material. There just is not a lot of UOA's of these engines with some age on them.

Of the two, I'd go RL. An OTC 5w30 would be fine to(especially if under warranty). I agree that if using RL, their 5w20 would work. Most 5w30's end up as 20 weight oil in that engine anyways.

Amsoil is the most robust 'all around' oils you can buy... best extreme pressure anti wear results (top tier additives), one of the best NOACK volatility test results (7% for 5w30, 5.5% for 5w20), oxidation resistance, TBN, the best low temperature crank-ability(3727cP @ -22F).

Simply put, AMSOIL SS oil is in a class of it's own when it comes to having an oil that exceeds all other oils in almost every aspect of oil performance.

+1 AMSOIL SS

redline is an oil that is designed for shot(er) OCI, track use really, or high performance cars with again short OCI. it has very poor thermo oxidation, baaad low temperature crank viscosity... because the oil molecules are larger. that is credit where credit is due, its a great oil.... for what it was designed for, not daily drivers in different weather conditions.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
redline is an oil that is designed for shot(er) OCI, track use really, or high performance cars with again short OCI. it has very poor thermo oxidation, baaad low temperature crank viscosity... because the oil molecules are larger. that is credit where credit is due, its a great oil.... for what it was designed for, not daily drivers in different weather conditions.

I think Red Line would disagree with you. Example from their 0W-20 oil: "Recommended for small cars and hybrids, and some trucks like Honda Insight and Civic Hybrids, Toyota Solara, Camry, Rav4 and Tundra 5.7L, Venza". Do those sound like cars that are not daily drivers?

robert

Amsoil is the most robust 'all around' oils you can buy... best extreme pressure anti wear results (top tier additives)

But that isn't relevant to your engine, which is why that test is for gear oils, not engine oils
wink.gif

, one of the best NOACK volatility test results (7% for 5w30, 5.5% for 5w20), oxidation resistance, TBN, the best low temperature crank-ability(3727cP @ -22F).

Yes, the NOACK is nice and low and the CCS performance is also excellent. However, Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 also has exceptional NOACK (6.6% as tested) and low temperature performance (3,827cP):

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/penzultra.htm

Simply put, AMSOIL SS oil is in a class of it's own when it comes to having an oil that exceeds all other oils in almost every aspect of oil performance.

+1 AMSOIL SS

I wouldn't go quite that far. They are probably the best available oils for extended drain intervals. And I am quite pleased to see AMSOIL getting manufacturer approvals now (like LL-04, A40...etc) but there are other excellent products out there as well from both other blenders (Redline for example) and the majors (Mobil/SOPUS/BP). The performance specs of Shell's GTL-based products (on paper) have been impressive to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back