Redline MTL Vs Honda MTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
I believe the amsoil stuff is based off motor oil. Redline and Honda is a 75/80 wt oil. I believe the red line also has GM synchromesh fluid in it the MTL says it can be used in GM Transmissions....

I am not sure how one could arrive at that conclusion.

The Amsoil MTF is a dedicated (meaning a "specific application") 9.7 cST MTF, which has a similar viscosity to that of a 5W30 engine oil, but the formulation of the MTF is TOTALLY different than that of a 5W30 PCMO.

The Redline series of MTF's DO NOT have GM synchromesh fluids in them and are a formulation developed by Redline.

It states that at least it meets the requirements of GM synchomesh. It shifts like it does have it in their.

I'm not a fan of amsoil, they demand to much for their products, but refuse to be open and honest about what's in their products.

Running an early 90's Accord in warm and wonderful Aridzona, I am very happy with Redline's MT-90. I changed to RL a few years after buying the car in 2006. The prior owner maintained the car well, but I don't know what fluid he was running. The MT-90 was noticeably "slicker" and smoother that Brand X. I don't think I've ever heard of a Honda that didn't like RL's MTF fluids.

As for the service life, FWIW I'm up to ~100K and will be changing it soon. Shifting is still "like butter" although any degradation would probably occur so slowly as to escape notice. I drained, filtered, and re-used the stuff back around 50K and it looked just about new, with no obvious wear particles, etc.

The Honda MTF II was a big improvement for me in a 2003 5 speed being less notchy in the winter. I think it was less viscous than the Honda MTF I. I plan to change it out at 25 K miles. May go with GM partial synthetic synchromesh for an extended drain interval.

Last edited:
Timely - I logged in to post a similar question, but will add to this thread instead.

I switched over to Red Line MTF (75W-90) in our 2009 Mazda 5 (w/ 5-speed manual transmission) in 2015, and the fluid now has about 67K km on it (c. 42K miles). The shift quality was excellent at first, but may have deteriorated slightly, or I may be imagining it. In any case, I plan to replace it with same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back