Saturn Vue Honda Redline ATF??

Hello,

Aquired a very well matintained and clean '04 Saturn Vue Redline. This has the Honda powertrain in it. Would someone recommend an ATF to use which is known to work well with it? I believe it called for Z1 originally which was replaced by DW1 ? Other's have mentioned Maxlife? I'm not up on these Honda fluids. Any help would be great. I see a lot of Odyssey posts but I'm not sure if they are the same.

Thanks in advance.

Put what the factory recommends in it. There seems to be a badge of honor around here for people using something other than what is spec’d by the factory.
Transmission fluid is cheap, transmissions aren’t.

I would get what was originally used if possible. Honda's are known for good transmission life if serviced in a timely manner with OE, not superceded fluid.

You can use Honda DW1 with no problem, but Maxlife is good too. Any modern LV synthetic ATF will work fine in your Vue. Since Honda is smart enough to include a drain plug, changing the ATF is easy, even easier than an oil change :)

Put what the factory recommends in it. There seems to be a badge of honor around here for people using something other than what is spec’d by the factory.
Transmission fluid is cheap, transmissions aren’t.
So true ! Change the engine oil 2x more frequently than spec'd, but "oil is cheap, engines aren't" but then people brag about saving $15 by buying (fill-in-the-blank-popular-ATF) vs DW-1.

I would get what was originally used if possible. Honda's are known for good transmission life if serviced in a timely manner with OE, not superceded fluid.

Not from the early V6 5 speeds. They're generally a 100-150k unit most of the time. There's some issues with them that regular fluid changes only put off for a certain time before they start eating hard parts.

FWIW and OT, check your front engine cradle mounting to the front of the unibody. Tends to be a serious rust out area on otherwise good chassis. Currently in process of repairing one I bought for 500 bucks.

My GM dealer has the AC Delco Z1 ATF #22717466 in stock. The DW1 is the replacement? Is it a good idea to go with the DW1 or stick with the original Z1 ? Not sure what the difference is.

My GM dealer has the AC Delco Z1 ATF #22717466 in stock. The DW1 is the replacement? Is it a good idea to go with the DW1 or stick with the original Z1 ? Not sure what the difference is.
I'd check the lot # / dates on those 😂. Are they covered by an inch of dust ? It's also possible that it's actually DW-1 in the bottles.

I've had a couple cars that originally spec'd Z1 but DW-1 was also available so I made zero effort at finding Z1. Used DW-1 without hesitation.

You can’t buy licensed ATF-Z1 so that’s a moot point. ATF DW-1 is the only correct replacement if you are intent on using it.

Wow, that stuf has likely been sitting on their shelf for at least 20 years. The 2004-2007 Saturn Vue was the only GM vehicle to ever use that stuff.

I would offer them some low ball number and see if they bite. If so, go for it!

Seriously, offer them something like $20 for all of the jugs that they have.

If they won't bite then forget them and go to the Honda or Acura dealer and get the DW1, or possibly better yet go to Walmart or an auto parts store and pick up some Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

As per my understanding Z1 was a conventional fluid, DW1 was a semi-synthetic blend and slightly improved, and Maxlife ATF is full synthetic (and what I would choose).

Back