Recommended Email providers

If you own your own domain, Office 365 Exchange Online Plan 1 is the cheapest way to get commercial-grade ad-free E-mail from Microsoft.

I would recommend that you get your own domain name on Ionos.com - it comes with email hosting included. Otherwise get your own domain on gandi.net and then pay 3.99 a month for theirs.
I went with ionos.com for my forum stuff, subscriptions and such. Super easy in T-bird which I use on my PC (well other than adding another email to my iphone, fat phingers using Edison Mail app). Created my own domain. Really low cost.

For my financial stuff, different road. Won't disclose here. Recommended in a PM.

The total absence of SPAM is stunning.
What's spam ? I haven't had a spam message make it into my Inbox in years.

If you just created the email address and haven't gotten spam yet, just wait. You will. The email service/provider has ZERO control over the spam you'll receive or how much you'll receive. They only control if you see it.

What's spam ? I haven't had a spam message make it into my Inbox in years.

If you just created the email address and haven't gotten spam yet, just wait. You will. The email service/provider has ZERO control over the spam you'll receive or how much you'll receive. They only control if you see it.
True

But I've had hosts block a decent amount of emails (BITOG!) that weren't spam - and I had no say in the matter. I could "white list" the domain(s) at the host webmail site but emails still blocked at a higher level. Frustrating.

Ima check those out tomorrow. Thanks

namecheap.com has secure email, migrated some domains over from godaddy.com and used email service with new domains on namecheap.
couple of our domains currently on godaddy are hosted on google MX servers for email only. so we do it multiple ways, depending on use

with a commercial google account, you get much more control over email and users in the domain plus a lot of tools that are available for small and mid-size businesses. Currently our bill is $12/month per user account on the business domain(s).

One additional benefit is 4 terabytes of data storage, files, folders, anything

My current ISP is ancient and unreliable and they hardly support it.

I don't want gmail.

I have cable internet, works fine. But want to just add a new safe, reliable email service and move my important stuff there. Like BITOG :) :LOL: (y)
It's free, ad free too but pay for expanded features. Though you can always do the free and upgrade that same account later on if you like it.

Security is their trademark and I dont think anything more secure. So secure that if you forget your password you will be able to reset it and keep the account but you will NOT be able to read/have access to past emails and information since it was encrypted with the old password.

"Important note: If you reset your password, you won’t be able to read all your existing emails, contacts, and other files due to the encryption we use to protect your data (read on to see how to recover your existing data)."

Source - https://proton.me/support/reset-password

They have added methods over the years if you prepare for losing a password

Last edited:
Protonmail if you care about your security/privacy, though the recipient of your emails also needs to use it otherwise its kind of pointless. But still, they get a lot right.
Not entirely true on the second part.
Safe and reliable ? Get Gmail.... If your reason against it is tracking or privacy, you shouldn't be using the internet or carrying a smart phone.
Bad info. Google specifically data mines your emails. Other providers like apple iCloud domains and especially Protonmail do not.

Last edited:
It's been years since I heard "Gandi.net" and seems they use RoundCube, nice. I think the other solid one was amail for software.

Your new email provider will take time to know what is spam and not spam

Protonmail also allows you to set up email aliases that you can use to register to different websites that hides your actual address. Mail gets forwarded to your actual email address.

I send tax stuff directly to my tax people by uploading it to protonmail and the recipient gets a HTTPS link that requires them to put in a passcode; I relay the passcode to the recipient and they download my personal stuff, so "not an issue" if the recipient has an insecure or unencrypted email service.

Hey if all this isn't important to you, not a concern of mine, but people try to convince others that "there is no other way" Proton has provided ways to address many of people's concerns.

Back