Recommended and specified? what's the difference?

it is clear but it's not. There are multiple cases recently when Honda Dealers are using different other than honda MTF trying to solve Type R's 1-2 gear grind. And Honda approves it. Using the logic stated above, HONDA and only HONDA MTF needs to be used otherwise transmission will blow up.

Also, it looks like I'm totally screwed by using non-api certified oil not meeting viscosity spec and non Honda MTF on top of that. I think I should go and change my brake fluid Prestone or similar.

Well if the dealer (or Jiffy Lube etc) does it and it breaks the car, then you have the recourse of suing them for the cost of repairs. When you’re doing it yourself, you’re taking the whole responsibility. There’s some value into not DIYing your maintenance
laugh.gif

Failure of omission of other grades in their chart does not disqualify use. I believe CAFE language requirements see to this if I remember correctly from another thread. Any API SN/GF5 oil meets their warranty requirements – even 10w30 conventional meets the certified low temperature pumping viscosity of -30C while not exceeding 60000 mPa-s if you’re going by their chart. It may not start or be recommended but you get my drift.

There is no absolute wording where 0w20 MUST be used. This is important in warranty denial. Their wording, “…or another commercial engine oil of suitable viscosity…” makes this clear.

There’s plenty of ambiguity and leading in owners’ manuals. Optimal performance is one of those terms. Fuel efficiency can be deemed as a performance metric.

Reasonable is the standard to which many decisions are made.

Originally Posted By: nap
Please read the Warranty document, it says that you have to use the recommended items too in order to keep the warranty.

Including the genuine Honda motor oil?
whistle.gif

Best way to find out would be to ask Honda.

Just as a matter of opinion, my take is that “specified” means you don’t really have any alternatives that would work e.g. the transmission fluid for the ZF9. While with recommended, you may have alternatives that would work, although they are not covered by warranty e.g. engine oil.

I changed the ATF in a 2017 Honda Pilot Elite with the ZF9 pushbutton/paddle tranny at 55k miles. Honda brand fluid is gold colored, and turns brown with age. You can see it flowing out in the video. I'm re-filling with Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic because their Product Information sheet claims that it's Type 3.1 compatible.

well, that's exactly where my question is. I'm confused with wording: recommended - does it allow substitute? specified - doesn't???
Has anyone actually seen the word "required" used in and OM when it comes to an engine oil viscosity call-out? ... or that using anything beside what's called out will "void the warranty". I haven't for any of the vehicles I've owned over the years.

If Honda recommends M1 oil that doesn’t mean you have to use M1. You can use whatever brand you wish as long as it meets specs. Same goes for transmission fluid or engine coolant.

If Honda specifies a certain fluid then they are being particular or exacting about that decision. Just like a automaker specifying a particular spec that oils must meet. BMW LL or VW 507 as two examples.
Exactly. To use a different piece of machinery as an example, my dishwasher recommends using Cascade Platinum pacs, but it specifies dishwasher detergent. So using Finish powder detergent is fine. But using Dawn liquid would void my warranty, as it's not dishwasher detergent.

I changed the ATF in a 2017 Honda Pilot Elite with the ZF9 pushbutton/paddle tranny at 55k miles. Honda brand fluid is gold colored, and turns brown with age. You can see it flowing out in the video. I'm re-filling with Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic because their Product Information sheet claims that it's Type 3.1 compatible.

Broken link. VML is working great. The wife is daily driving the SUV and the summer heat was no problem.

Back