DIY online or Travel agent

My wife used one for our flights and hotels around the airports to Cook Islands, NZ, and AUS, and found low low prices that didn't exist online. We took 9 flights with 4 of us that trip and it was like $12k I believe?, and business class hotels at the airports for like $120-140 cdn!
For simple flights I don't use them but if we do another big trip like that, I hope that agent is still in business!

We still have a private travel agent in town. They donate a $500 or so voucher at the elementary school raffle each year, so they must do good business. I’ve never used one for personal travel and hate to have to engage with others for work travel.

That said, all my travel is North America and Europe. I might want some help to go to someplace in Asia, just because of what I don’t know.
Schools/government give travel agents a lot of business because of the way they need to pay. We spoke with one and their prices are the same or worse than online. Also their personal opinion may conflict with yours.
Costco travel is the best, traveled to other countries multiple times and never had a reservation issue.

I've dealt with corporate travel agents, including at one large company where I was doing business and provided all the travel through American Express Travel Agency. I had to call up an 800 number and deal with an actual travel agent. There were some weird things including a prepaid Visa card to handle all expenses, although it always arrived after my trip was over, but I could then use it on anything I wanted. And car rentals where I didn't have to leave a credit card and was told by the travel agent (every time) to just return it without adding gas.

Doesn't mean there can't be mistakes made. Once the travel agent booked a hotel room for the next week by mistake, but then having a real number to call meant it could be fixed easily.

Back