Rebuilt Engine Noise

lcrowder

Recently put a rebuilt Spartan engine (5.4L) in a 2007 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4. Since getting the truck back there's a rattling noise on cold starts in the morning and during the day when it sits for several hours. It sounds like a timing chain noise, but why on a rebuilt engine? All of the parts associated with the timing are all new.

Assuming you are using the correct filter if it requires an ADBV and it is functioning, check the seals throughout the oil system. Don't know the particular engine, but had a very similar issue w/ a rebuilt BMW engine and the culprit was a leaking o-ring leading from the oil pump that allowed the oil galleys to drain despite the filter having an ADBV.

Like others have said, a quick and easy thing is to change the oil filter. I'm not so sold on Motorcraft being necessary, but they're fine. I've been using Wix on a 5.4 3V I rebuilt for my F150 and it's never made a noise.

Who's rebuild/reman is it? Do you know if the timing drive and cam phasers are OE, Melling or???? If a filter doesn't fix it, my bet is on the garbage timing components.

Also taking off my working at a Ford dealer hat for a second, use a 5W30 or 0/5W40 in that.

I hate to say it, but a lot of those rebuilders don't use the Ford parts for the timing parts. I would hope they used a Melling HV pump, those are the bees knees for the 3V engines.

Not saying this is the case here at all, but there is a huge difference between rebuilt and re-manufactured. Rebuilt might leave old components that are "at spec" in there. Did the engine builder say it is all new timing components?

Back