Realtors in Florida

For the money it's a decent deal for someone that likes the area. Relatively cheap.

The front door I'd
replace right away. I'm not a security zealot by any means but that looks really weak.. go to 5:55 in..

Very basic house, standard lower end builder materials, including appliances and cabinets. Apartment type layout, No landscaping, Im sure no sprinklers and no gutters. With that said, I think one can do better for little more money in northern Florida and be much closer to the Atlantic. But this is Florida and what you get for the price I guess ... if you want some land between your house and others it maybe right for someone on a budget.

If on a budget in Florida I likes this place and yes, because my kids would have still been driving distance to SC and boarder areas of NC
Access to 95 is awesome. We came close, still have contracts on a new construction from June (ish) 2022 in my inbox. Last minute change and ended up in Coastal NC ... best decision ever but doesnt mean I dont like Florida.

Last edited:
I wouldn't own a house with sliding glass doors. I'd have to have it taken out and infilled with wall and a normal exterior door.
You need to custom build only.
Thats what I am going to do. Regardless of the nonsense here I want tall ceilings but not cathedral ones.
Very tall... ;)

I was in Florida when covid first hit and I had an opportunity to buy a 2 year old Olsen built house in Palm Coast.
It was one of their top models and it was $300k under a new build from them.

It was like new.
The fireside deal was due that the complete house inside and out was "pink" Must have been a Mary Kay deal.

I just got done refurbing a house here in Maryland and I wasn't up for the transformation but it was a deal. Luckily cabinets and counters etc were not pink but everything else was.

I don't know why they just didn't get it painted but it appeared they just needed to quickly move on...maybe a death or something..not a foreclosure.

I saw a small, charming house in Citrus Springs this morning and for just over $300K someone
could have a nice lot and house as long as you're not a real estate snob...
I think it was around 1600 sq ft.
The killer for me if I was a buyer was gloss white tray ceilings and the rest were too. A real fancy way to show off every defect.
One positive is no mirrors required.

This is a house you can get built in MD and PA by a quality builder. Single story with full basement and 3 car garage. Nice 2x12 floor joist and 2x6 wall construction and a bunch of Advantech structural products and lifetime shingles which usually means 50 years.

Single story with 2600 Sq. Ft.
Unlike Florida you put a bath and a rec room etc in the basement and it about doubles the space and no smelly musty leaking basement. They do it right. Totally dry.
Vast array of available options too. Standard 10 ft ceilings and you can go from there.

1000002978.jpg

@Tharber we need the insider information only you can provide.

Earlier @zzyzzx noted the 3% realtor new build commission that many builders offer.

Most realtors tell you upfront it doesn't cost the buyer a dime as it's already figured in.

If the realtor isn't involved you do not get the discount, so they say there is no benefit to not having a realtor... is this basically true or not?

I have my own thoughts on this and most likely the opposite of what others here think.

This is a thing only an insider would know and I'm sure it differs from builder to builder...

Commisions are already built into the price of the home. If you do not use an agent, you do not get that 3% or whatever the fee would be. Its added profit for the builder when there is not an agent involved.

Commisions are already built into the price of the home. If you do not use an agent, you do not get that 3% or whatever the fee would be. Its added profit for the builder when there is not an agent involved.
This is the huge misconception about home sales. Houses are not valued then a commision added on top of it. Its a value based on the homes worth and agents are paid a commsions to get it sold, not different thany anything else.

The NAR settlement that so many here are thrilled about is only going to hurt buyers because they are the ones that have to pay their own fee and in some cases that will be out of pocket. VA buyers in particular have zero way around paying this fee themeselves as current VA rules do not allow seller contributions enough to cover a buyers agent commssion. Fannie and Freddie Mac loans have been somewhat changed to allow this commssion to be financed in but it is a thin line to be allowed.

Sellers probably will not see a savings at all as the listing commisions are likely to go up on their end to cover the buyers that will go directly to the listing agent. For example, if you assume hte commsion was always 6% with 3% going to listing agent and 3% going to buyers agent, (if that is the fee) then a listing agent is not going to reduce that if he/she gets both sides. It is more work for buy side so you will still see the same fee to list and sell.

The difference between commercial and residential is that in 'commercial', compensation on the buyers side is not ever guaranteed unless it is listed in a MLS system, most commercial listings are not. My fee's are north of residential fee's and the buyers agent then charges whatever the buyers agent gets and that is a direct buyer expense. The difference to the seller is nothing and the cost of sale is a write off, so rates and commsions are never really an issue. In FL I can also lien a commercial property for payment of commissions, I've done that 1 time in 37 yrs. In FL, if a residentail seller doesn't want to pay, they can decidenot to do so the day of closing with little recource other than a civil lawsuite to collect commissions by the listing and buyers agents. No liens are permitted.

Tim we are talking about a custom build where the agent brings you to the builder.
So, it's not a house on the market to be clear.
Let's say I go to Seagate builders on my own and contract a fresh house build on my lot.
I get a price.

But if my agent takes me to Seagate they get a 3% commission if I contract the build.
The agents all say that I wouldn't get a 3% discount if I contracted it on my own, so the agent actually cost me nothing.

Hope I was clear. Is that true?
For 3% I would take the agent and what they offer if they had my back on the deal. I know of many that are worthy.

You are correct, you will not get that 3% without an agent. Now I'm not saying that if you walk in to a builder and say 'I have no agent give me a deal' that they wont, but most builders pricing assumes that there is going to be an agent involved as they don't have the budgets to advertise a spec house or just finished house for sale. For the builder, commisisons are a cost of sale.

This is a builder in Ocala. It's growing on me. We used to have commercial feed stores that looked like this. Really.. But the layout is nice in that area...

1000003014.jpg
1000003013.jpg

1000003015.jpg
1000003016.jpg

Thats a neat looking home for sure. I hate houses on a corner but thats just me, too much traffic. I would also insist on some type of concrete type siding board, ie Hardy boards or something just to protect from insect and rot damage.

Thats a neat looking home for sure. I hate houses on a corner but thats just me, too much traffic. I would also insist on some type of concrete type siding board, ie Hardy boards or something just to protect from insect and rot damage.
Here is a comparison for you. That house is $1,325,000. On only a less than 6k Sq ft lot.
Just under 3500 Sq ft
In Ocala..

Now the house in my post #369 is $391k as shown but on your lot.
This is a great rural area 50 miles from Baltimore or Philly. Easy access to 3 states in minutes.

You can get a lot for $65k and upwards. 1 to 2 acres.

Now that price includes septic and well and driveway.. 2600 Sq ft but the basement which is under air but unfinished is about another 2600 Sq ft. With outside entrance etc.
Taxes would be around $4500 and insurance under $2k a year.

Top quality builder and area...

That sounds steep for the Ocala market at almost $400 psft but that would be an all inclusive price I think. Chances are its going to be municipal water and sewer, no basement due to water table in most of FL and driveway would also be included.

Pre manufactured homes are big in Ocala. They are not trailers, just built offsite, trucked in and assembled at the site. I had my doubts about them but my dad just build one in TN and you would be hard pressed to tell it was not a site built house.

Back