Rate this tire: Kumho KR16/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good tires....I have four currently on my RX 300...20K miles so far no issues....also had some speed rated ones on a Boxter I returned as a lease a few years ago....

Personally, I can comment on the Kumho Solus KR21 relative to two other tires I have had on this car in similar service, size 215 70 15: ContiTouringContact and Bridgestone Turanza EL400.

Pros: Good overall grip, good (but not great--on par with Turanza) wet traction, resists hydroplaning well, very quiet/smooth, very good directional control on snow (due to tread pattern), predictable behavior in general, and reasonably priced

Cons: Handling is a little mushy and slow/swimmy compared to Turanzas, snow starting/stopping control lags behind both Conti and Turanza (this is due to tread pattern again)

Overall it is a good+well rounded tire that does most things well and is very quiet/luxurious feeling on the highway, and a good value IMO

Last edited:
Not so happy with my KR21's. They have good traction, but I have had them 1.5 years and at 33K they are almost to the wear bars. all I do is highway driving and I rotated every 7K. I have to had to have them rebalanced once at 23K. They need rebalancing again now and I have to replace them anyway. Its a cheap tire and if you don't put lots of miles on them you are ok. I guess 'you get what you pay' for applies again.

I don't know about wear, but I bought some for my mom's 2001 Civic and the Kumho Solus KR21 is a very quiet tire with as good grip as the BFG Traction TA.

Last edited by a moderator:
In our circle of family and friends, we have been very pleased with the Kumho Solus KR-21's. All whom have tried them have been satisfied with the ride quality, ease of balance, decent handling, and especially the price. If there is a size to fit your vehicle and high performance it's a must, these are a nice tire. These tires perform better than the price and speed rating suggust.

^I copy/pasted this^ from another thread. This is my reply to a BITOG brother looking for tires for his wifes vehicle.

I must add though, that the vehicles that we(our circle) are installing the KR-21's on are primarily used on family type vehicles such as MiniVans, SUV's, Sedans. And their a perfect example of what a family type vehicle tire should be. Not that there aren't better tire choices but, these KR-21's are a nice blend of the things that I mentioned above and a very nice surprise. Far exceeding our expetations for a "Standard Touring All-Season Tire".

The KR-21's aren't for everyone or every vehicle. I wouldn't put them on a BMW but, if you don't drive your BMW aggressively and want to drive it more like a family sedan, then the KR-21's are fine. Not sports care handling but, surprisingly good handling for it's tire type.

I have a set on my Intrepid. They look worn for 20,000 miles. They may last 40,000 we'll see. Nothing like the warranty which I believe is 85,000 miles.The warranty would be more accurate if it was 50,000 miles. I think the higher mileage warranty is for marketing.
I will probably try something else when it's time for replacement. Has anyone had experience with a tire that will in fact last 80,000 miles?????
Good tire besides the wear issue.

Last edited:
I've never gotten the projected mileage rating out of any tire and I don't drive them down to 2/32 just to see if I can. I had tires that got me closer but, in my climate, I want new tread on my vehicles. If I lived in climate that allowed for longer driving down to 2/32 or 3/32 I may take the tires to that but, if I can get 50,000 miles out of a 70,000 miles tire, Im doing fine!

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
... Has anyone had experience with a tire that will in fact last 80,000 miles?????
Good tire besides the wear issue.

Michelin Harmony on my 1994 Lexus LS400 seems to last a long time, it is more than 60k miles now and still have about 4/32" tread remaining, I believe it can lasted 80k miles or more on lighter cars. The car has more than 240k miles on odometer and had many different tires, none lasted more than 40k miles and I only discarded the tires when tread depth is 2/32" or little less, in late summer. Because we only have few rainy days in winter and no rain at all from spring to fall, we can safely driving on tires with tread depth of 2/32" or little less in summer.

Look at Tirerack's survey for the Harmory, there are many owners submitted survey after had the tires for more than 70k miles, few as high as 100+k miles.

I've got the Solus KR21s on my Corolla and they've got just over 40K on them and they appear to have about half of their usable tread left. I don't think you can get a better tire for the price.

Has anyone had experience with a tire that will in fact last 80,000 miles?????

Yes, a Michelin X. However, it was on a very light Honda Civic. Your point is a good one, clearly that the mileage rating doesn't mean the strength and integrity of the tire will last to that point, but it will hold air that long. Maybe.

My 04 Altima 2.5S eats tires. I would consider this Altima a firmly sprung/suspended vehicle. I was told by a good friend in the know(been around cars all his life) that, firmly suspended vehicles ware out their tires faster than softly suspeded vehicles. Ya know, I beleive he's right. Just from my experience, all of the vehicles that I have owned in the past that road more firmly/better handling, went through tires quite rapidly even when I had installed 60-70,000 mile tires but, when I installed those same higher mileage tires on my more softly sprung vehicles, the tires lasted much, much longer and closer to their mileage rating. My buddy claims that(to sxplain it in simple terms), it's due to the spring and shock/strut rate and how much more force that the tires are pushed down on the road, even more so than the vehicles weight. I've had 4,000 lb vehicles with tires that seemed to last forever and 2800 lb cars that went through tires more rapidly. I know that tire diameter has to account for much of this but, I've had 70 series tires ware out quickely and 60 series last much longer. Go figure!

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Has anyone had experience with a tire that will in fact last 80,000 miles?????

Yes, a Michelin X. However, it was on a very light Honda Civic. Your point is a good one, clearly that the mileage rating doesn't mean the strength and integrity of the tire will last to that point, but it will hold air that long. Maybe.

The previous set of tires I had on my Corolla before I got the KR21s was the Kumho Touring A/S (which was a 70K mile rated tire). Right at 70K I hit a huge pothole on the highway which caused one of the tires to blow. These tires appeared to have roughly 5K miles worth of thread left on them, but instead of replacing just one tire, I went ahead and replaced them all with the KR21s. I've had no problem getting the rated mileage from my tires. If your's are wearing out before the rated mileage you may want to have your alignment checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back