Rant - Please do not hoard motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Artem
How do you know its the same exact person? What if a few people came in a each bought a jug or 2.

I have a few 'contacts' there, if you like, so they give me a call whenever the stock arrives. The guy who buys the stuff runs a garage, so he buys the stuff and sells it for a profit.

Originally Posted By: EricJRoy
or just buy Mobil 1 0w-40 and run it in everything

I'm switching all my vehicles to M1 0W-40, already have it in the Marauder...

Order 5 x 20L jugs of Delvac 1 LE 5W30 from Europe for $19/L incl. shipping. Then you won't need M1 ESP.

Charlie

The OP does not realize that hoarding is vital to some people. Keeping them from compulsive hoarding is like having a caged hamster with no exercise wheel. The rodent will go nuts, poor thing.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Hmm...and where do we draw the lines between a responsible bit of preparedness...a modest stash...and outright obsessive hoarding?

Responsible preparedness: 10+ quarts.
Modest stash: 40+ quarts
Obsessive hoarding: Don't know for sure.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Hmm...and where do we draw the lines between a responsible bit of preparedness...a modest stash...and outright obsessive hoarding?

Uh oh.....
45.gif

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I am wondering where this leaves me with in excess of 100gal. of oil sitting on the shelf

Uh, it leaves you...

...well lubricated?
wink.gif

Sorry...I can't go along with the OP.My current ride is a German diesel that requires an oil that's fairly tough to find here in the US.This is also true of my previous ride.Relative scarcity and outrageous prices (one OC requires 8.5 quarts @7.50/quart) compels me to stock up when I see it at $7.50 rather than the usual $10-$13.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I am wondering where this leaves me with in excess of 100gal. of oil sitting on the shelf

100 gallons? Doesn't synthetic oil have a finite shelf life? I know that the Mobil 1 ESP that I have has an expiration date on the bottle.Or are you servicing a dozen different vehicles?

Originally Posted By: Cristobal

I now have a 2.5 year supply of oil and a 2 year supply of filters.My ride rquires 8 litres per OC and I plan to double up on the factory recommendation (6K miles vs 10K miles) so I have just about 40 litres now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
3 trucks, 2 cars, several relatives vehicles=a garage full of oil. Sorry.

No need to apologize....that's a lot of vehicles.

I have no excuse for hoarding oil and will not make any !
It's America.

When YOU buy my oil for me, than I'll quit hoarding and buying while it's on sale.

just my $0.02 !

Entertained as well. The practice crosses many consumer lines. I wear a size 14 shoe and 99% of stores stop at size 13. If they have 2 boxes left of a shoe I like and it fits well...the next tall guy is SOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back