RAM 1500 DT vs DS warm-up time... wow

37 in freedom units, 2.8 in not freedom units.

It should be about 32F/0C when I leave tonight…(This morning? night shift life), I’ll time it properly and report back.

I should preface this with I have MDS disabled via range select.
Ahhhh, this truck has MDS and it's a rental, so I'm not screwing with that, but our DT also has MDS, so 🤷‍♂️

Ahhhh, this truck has MDS and it's a rental, so I'm not screwing with that, but our DT also has MDS, so 🤷‍♂️
I broke out a stop watch for this lol. Ambient was 34F/1.1C. I started the truck and stop watch at the same time, let it idle 30 seconds then took off. Acceleration was mild at 2000rpm max till the gauge hit 120, after which 2500 max. Acceleration for the first 2 minutes peaked at 45mph/72kmh. After that 55-60mph/88.5-96.5khm.

2 minutes to hit 120F/48.9C, heat is there but barely.
4 minutes to hit 150F/65.5C, heat is definitely there and still getting hotter.
6 minutes to hit a 1/4 on the temp gauge, 176F/80C
8 minutes to hit 203F/95C.

OK, I just checked, it DOES have the grille shutters, so clearly that's not the difference.

My wife's DT has like FULL heat very quickly, and it heats up insanely quickly on the gauge too, far quicker than this truck. I was able to get this truck up to full temp on my way home, about 3/4 of the way there, since it was already warm, as it only sat for about 4 hours. This is pretty much identical to my jeep.

Get someone to make an aluminum block that takes a couple glow plugs, and feed the coolant going to the heater core through it. You could add a thermal switch, something like 100F would be plenty, to shut them off when not needed. 100W per plug in resistive heating should go a long way in getting that cabin comfortable quicker.

I wonder if it just has a bad thermostat.. Seems odd that one would fail with it being so new, but the last 2 thermostats I replace were for cars not warming up, and one would work sometimes and not others..

Completely off brand and engine topic topic but my ol 97 silverado with the Vortec 5.7 has one of the fastest warming up times of any vehicle I've ever driven. Within minutes of starting it is warming up very nicely.

I wonder if it just has a bad thermostat.. Seems odd that one would fail with it being so new, but the last 2 thermostats I replace were for cars not warming up, and one would work sometimes and not others..
It warms up fine, it just takes longer than our DT.

I would take a temp gun to the motor, and confirm if the thermostat is being lazy compared the the coolant temp.
Just because it eventually warms up doesn't mean that it's fine.

I would take a temp gun to the motor, and confirm if the thermostat is being lazy compared the the coolant temp.
Just because it eventually warms up doesn't mean that it's fine.
I mean, it takes the same amount of time as my Jeep, so I don't think it's unusual, this is more about what they've clearly done with the DT to make it warm up faster, which I'm unsure of.

I will check to see if this has them, I didn't realize that some of the DS trucks got them.
when the thermostat is closed,, coolant recirculates inside the engine until the thermostat opens.. then coolant can flow to the radiator, where you will get a surge of cold coolant into the cooling system, and the thermostat will close again, until all of the coolant eventually gets mixed and thoroughly warmed up,, that is why I would hesitate to say radiator being closed off to airflow when the thermostat is closed makes any difference to warm up time.. I think on many modern cars those shutters are more for air flow than for warmup, but also for keeping the engine hot once warmed up..

sort of like a winterfront on a diesel truck is mostly to prevent overcooling in winter conditions, not to make the engine warm up faster.

when the thermostat is closed,, coolant recirculates inside the engine until the thermostat opens.. then coolant can flow to the radiator, where you will get a surge of cold coolant into the cooling system, and the thermostat will close again, until all of the coolant eventually gets mixed and thoroughly warmed up,, that is why I would hesitate to say radiator being closed off to airflow when the thermostat is closed makes any difference to warm up time.. I think on many modern cars those shutters are more for air flow than for warmup, but also for keeping the engine hot once warmed up..

sort of like a winterfront on a diesel truck is mostly to prevent overcooling in winter conditions, not to make the engine warm up faster.
Yes, totally understand all that, but the shutters also block airflow into the engine bay, which should keep the whole space warmer, and in turn, reduce warm-up time. It may not be a huge difference, but I'm sure there is one.

Yes, totally understand all that, but the shutters also block airflow into the engine bay, which should keep the whole space warmer, and in turn, reduce warm-up time. It may not be a huge difference, but I'm sure there is one.

yeah, from a thoroughly technical standpoint.. the shutters would make a difference, just not very much. LOL.
on my Ram Cummins, that 1100 pound engine takes almost 5 miles of driving for the thermostat to open, and that is when it is 80 to 90 degrees outside. When it is colder it can take or 8 miles of driving. I could leave it idle for 20 minutes and it wont reach the thermostat opening temp, which seems to be about 197... I can watch it warming up and there wont be a temp drop until it gets to about 197, then it will drop to about 188 or so and then see the temps begin to climb again...

OTOH my little Nissan with the tiny engine is already producing heat by the time I get 1/2 mile down the street.

Can you answer why the e-torque seems to be universally hated?
I think because dealer support if there’s a problem with it seems poor, based on what I’ve read.

everything I’ve read about the technology before I ever drove it seemed excellent, to my eye. They used it to enable start/stop, and they tuned it to squash NVH. They also used it to provide mid-shift engine braking instead of how that’s normally done in the A/T. There was a lot of thought put into the system.

having driven it, its great for what it is. The complaints may accompany auto s/s, which e-torque enables. The only drawback I noticed is if you are trying to very gently feather the brakes, youll feel it kicking in and out of recharge mode. That bothered the owner who‘s truck I was driving until I told him what that was. Then he was good with it.

I wouldn’t mind having it, at all.

Get someone to make an aluminum block that takes a couple glow plugs, and feed the coolant going to the heater core through it. You could add a thermal switch, something like 100F would be plenty, to shut them off when not needed. 100W per plug in resistive heating should go a long way in getting that cabin comfortable quicker.

My old Peugeot 406 HDi actually had one of these straight from the factory. :ROFLMAO:

I remember changing the glow plugs and being so happy that I had instant heat!

I broke out a stop watch for this lol. Ambient was 34F/1.1C. I started the truck and stop watch at the same time, let it idle 30 seconds then took off. Acceleration was mild at 2000rpm max till the gauge hit 120, after which 2500 max. Acceleration for the first 2 minutes peaked at 45mph/72kmh. After that 55-60mph/88.5-96.5khm.

2 minutes to hit 120F/48.9C, heat is there but barely.
4 minutes to hit 150F/65.5C, heat is definitely there and still getting hotter.
6 minutes to hit a 1/4 on the temp gauge, 176F/80C
8 minutes to hit 203F/95C.
OK, I just used the temp gauge, but it was 6C out, and I started the truck at 1:42PM stone cold. I was 1/4 on the gauge at 1:51PM, so 9 minutes.

OK, I just used the temp gauge, but it was 6C out, and I started the truck at 1:42PM stone cold. I was 1/4 on the gauge at 1:51PM, so 9 minutes.
Maybe the thermostat is stuck partially open?

Our van is kind of like that… though it heats up fast, but getting it above 180F is pretty much impossible and it’s keeping the oil around 150-170F. But the heat still works great, there’s no CEL, and I can’t be bothered to replace the thermostat yet.

My old Peugeot 406 HDi actually had one of these straight from the factory. :ROFLMAO:

I remember changing the glow plugs and being so happy that I had instant heat!

so simple yet effective. the 407 had a heater wire in the hvac unit, not quite as easy and cheap to fix. but 900W, so maybe even more instant and hot.

so simple yet effective. the 407 had a heater wire in the hvac unit, not quite as easy and cheap to fix. but 900W, so maybe even more instant and hot.

You bringing this up has given me an idea for the Duster. Just need to find a radiator fan switch that kicks in as low as 50-60°c.

Back