Queen's Gambit

Anyone watch Queen's Gambit? It's a pretty good show. I like how Garry Kasparov was an adviser, he's a grandmaster who was a former world champion.

Anyway the games are set up pretty nicely. Mentions a lot of the typical openings and gets more exotic as the show progresses. There's some good coverage of some of the actual games played in the show and they're good games to watch on youtube afterwards with the game analysis. Some AlphaZero wins are also pretty impressive.

I mostly play Ruy Lopez with white and Sicilian when I'm black. Not really into Queen's gambit declined but if you play an opening enough, you know most of the lines to play.

I used to play a lot and have one of the chess clocks in the show. Not sure if the design is that timeless and they haven't changed or they just used a newer design.

Kind of turned into a soap opera after awhile as these things do, but yes, well done.

I thought that they did an excellent job of showing respect for the game without turning it into an ‘inside baseball’ exercise.

I enjoy chess. What is this now?

It's just a little miniseries on Netflix. Almost 7 hours so not too long to watch the whole thing. It's based on a book. Claims to be the most streamed miniseries on Netflix with over 62 million views in 28 days.

I thought that they did an excellent job of showing respect for the game without turning it into an ‘inside baseball’ exercise.
That's probably due to Gary Kasparov one of the top players in the world, he took on Deep Blue back when it was possible to beat a computer, but lost in the rematch. Now the strongest computer player is AlphaZero which uses AI and it pretty much beats all the other chess programs out there.

I've played chess since high school. I had no idea you could get rich and laid playing chess. I must be doing something wrong. :unsure:

On a side note, there is an app called really bad chess that I have been enjoying lately. It can also be used as an instruction platform.

I've played chess since high school. I had no idea you could get rich and laid playing chess. I must be doing something wrong. :unsure:

On a side note, there is an app called really bad chess that I have been enjoying lately. It can also be used as an instruction platform.

Well I don't think she was rich, but if you win a bunch of tournaments, you'd get decent prize money. In reality that didn't happen that often. In some of the commentaries, there mention that in the beginning she's just an 1800 which although that's a strong player, it's not the top for local tournaments, at least when I played. I've played against 1800-2400 players, they're really good, hardly ever win against them unless they blunder in a 5 minute game. That 2400 player, I played against him and was one move away from checkmating him and I lost. Found out he was a 2400 afterwards so I never really had a chance.

Thanks lol. Haven’t played it in a really long time so I have forgotten how too.
Oh yeah, you can sign up for an account and play for free. There's also Lichess which is also free and you don't even need an account.

Fresh meat!

And if you're losing the game, just resign don't just leave it hanging.

Back