Putting T5 10w30 in 400X tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am putting my winter oil in tomorrow. I bought a jug of Rotella T5 10w30 at China-Mart tonight. I am interested to see how it runs. It is not labeled as JASO MA but it seems that the Goldwing guys and some sportbike guys have had great results with it. Shaking a jug of T5 10w30 is like shaking water compared to shaking the SRT 15w40 which seems like pancake syrup.

i had a little fun the other day, i had 4 bottles of various weights of 40 oil, that were leftovers from previous bike changes. I had just enuff between all 4 qrt bottles to make up two qrt's for the sump of the little Ninja.. im normally not big on mixing oils, but had a big grin on my face when leftovers took care of the winter oci !

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
I'd be interested on your feedback on this oil in an air cooled engine. Wonder how long before the shifting gets nothcy.

The factory oil (strongly suspect GN4 10w30) only lasted a few hours before it was notchy and Valvoline ATV 10w40 barely lasted any longer. I used SRT 15w40 for almost 10 hours with no degradation in shift quality. The T5 sure can not be any worse than the GN4 or Valvoline (I hope!).

I bought some Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5w-40 oil I plan to put in my 2001 Foreman when my filter gets here(Amazon.com). I plan to use my ATV a little more this Winter & wanted help with cold starts. I also ordered a new plug at the same time.

My plan is to use this oil into the warmer temps also.

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
I'd be interested on your feedback on this oil in an air cooled engine. Wonder how long before the shifting gets nothcy.

Well, the T5 10w30 is in there and it did not explode. I rode for around an hour and never had a trouble. It is noticeably quieter on idle and the "400EX tick" is much quieter. I find this interesting, very interesting. I did not notice any clutch slippage or anything out of the ordinary. It was never notchy or tempermental going into neutral or reverse. I pushed it hard trying to get the oil good and hot to see how it would do and it never faulted. We will see if it can go 10 hours like its big brother.

One strange thing I did notice is that it seems to rev up quicker now, if that makes any sense. I wonder if the SRT 15w40 was creating a slight drag on the pump/motor.

As much as I hate to admit it, maybe Honda is right in recommending a 10w30 in this application. They actually allow a 5w30 from -10*F to 100*F. I looked at the owner's manual to be sure.

The SRT 15w40 that was in there had almost 10 hours on it (10 HARD hours). It was still shifting like butter but it was DARK in color compared to new.

I suppose it isn't too absurd to think a lighter oil will rev quicker. I ran Maxima 530MX one time in a Raptor 700 and thought the engine revved quicker, but it was much noisier so I only ran it for a short time.

Thanks for the report, check back when you get to 10 hours...or not, interested to hear how it holds up.

I installed a Lexx slip-on and re-jetted it today. It is now difficult to keep the front wheels on the ground with 1st & 2nd.

I have about 2.5 hours on the T5 and it is doing great.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
I bought some Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5w-40 oil I plan to put in my 2001 Foreman when my filter gets here(Amazon.com). I plan to use my ATV a little more this Winter & wanted help with cold starts. I also ordered a new plug at the same time.

My plan is to use this oil into the warmer temps also.

The T6 5W-40 that I used in my Rubicon was great at -16 degrees three years ago while hunting in Northern Nevada. Temps during that time of year are generally around 10 degrees or less in the early hours of the day. The Rubicon always cranked fast and fired quickly...I used the T6 in my 400EX and my Ford pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back