Purolator One PL14476 5030 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
To JohnnyJohnson-the OP: I too am having an analysis done at my next 5,000 mile mark.
I've been using the factory OCI of 7,500 for years in 3 of the very same engines.

However, even if the UOA says all is well after 5,000 miles, how will I know if it's good for the additional 2,500 or longer?
Maybe I should do the UOA at the 7,500 or 6,500? Is the decay of oil attributes linear?

Originally Posted By: Kira
To JohnnyJohnson-the OP: I too am having an analysis done at my next 5,000 mile mark.
I've been using the factory OCI of 7,500 for years in 3 of the very same engines.

However, even if the UOA says all is well after 5,000 miles, how will I know if it's good for the additional 2,500 or longer?
Maybe I should do the UOA at the 7,500 or 6,500? Is the decay of oil attributes linear?

If you ran the oil for three years following the factory OCI of 7,500 miles why not run the oil 7,500 miles and get an oil analysis? Then you'll know if you did the right thing or not.

From what I've read here the decay of oil attributes is not linear. However many of our residents experts can guesstimate, [accurately] how long you can run an oil based on TBN. Some like to see TBN and TAN readings for their guesstimates.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Kira

If you ran the oil for three years following the factory OCI of 7,500 miles why not run the oil 7,500 miles and get an oil analysis? Then you'll know if you did the right thing or not.

From what I've read here the decay of oil attributes is not linear. However many of our residents experts can guesstimate, [accurately] how long you can run an oil based on TBN. Some like to see TBN and TAN readings for their guesstimates.

Sorry the factory OCI suggested for my car on synthetic is 5000 miles and one year. Now this UOA will give me a much clearer picture where I stand.

To the OP-I have used a bunch of these older gold Pure Ones (and even Classics, PB ProLine, & QS filters) and I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY OF THEM TEAR-and the small ones seem stronger than the bigger ones. That said, I just installed a gold PL14477 on my brother's Corolla, with PP 5W30, and he will abuse it for 10K+ like he does everything-and I'll post it cut open when I get it changed. I'm not calling our other filter inspectors liars (like the good work car51 & others do), but I think the tiny teacup sized ones will be less likely to have issues.

Car51 I do agree as well with Bullwinkle. The 14612 is so very small it would hold up very well. The longer 14610 has been one where there's been issues.

Looks like it did a fine job. I personally have use a bunch of the Purolators and never any issues. I must admit that I wont knowingly buy them unless it's a re-badged RA filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back