7.5 yr old Purolator One PL45526, 5,020 Miles

Just snapped two pics since oily hands. This was run for 5,020 miles on my 6.0L Power Stroke w) 111,615 miles on it.

Looks clean, no tears found but it was beat up pretty good. About 2500 miles hauling my Lance slide in truck camper to/from MO and TX.

Took a pic of another new one for reference.

IMG_20240310_172432.jpg
IMG_20240310_172456.jpg

Last edited:
Did it fit properly? The kinks in the media suggest compression more to me than deformation due to use.
Not exactly, I've put the OEM filter right up next to several. I have a lot of these old Purolator One's & there was at least one that was noticeably taller than OEM due to the plastic end being a little crooked. Not much but I could see it when comparing to OEM filter. The others it's kind of hard to tell but I'm sure they are just slightly off since I usually get straighter media when using OEM cartridge filters. Win for OEM here for sure on fitment. So long as these don't tear anywhere, due to age, then I'll keep using my stash of them. I think you're right in your assessment. Thanks

Just snapped two pics since oily hands. This was run for 5,020 miles on my 6.0L Power Stroke w) 111,615 miles on it.

Looks clean, no tears found but it was beat up pretty good. About 2500 miles hauling my Lance slide in truck camper to/from MO and TX.

Took a pic of another new one for reference.

View attachment 207860View attachment 207861

Nice pics. What filter went in and oil back in?

Thank You

The filters in their BOSS lineup are high quality... uhm, except for the micron rating, which they do their best to hide, because it's not that great. The tiers bellow BOSS aren't great, to put it mildly. When you see a cartridge filter deform like that or twist after it's been used, that's because the media is of average to low quality, and because the end caps are to thin and they barely support the pleats. To add insult to injury, Purolator / MANN HUMMEL sources these on other cartridge filters from other vendors. They only make the spin-on filters themselves. However, if it says "Made in Korea" on one of those Purolator BOSS / Wix XP cartridge filters, then use it with confidence, it's high quality.

there is a reason why any shops that specialize in 6.0’s will only use the motorcraft filter. was purolator the OEM at that time?
Racor/Parker hannifin was where they were International/Ford sourced from. Racor or Donaldson made them. I know Donaldson made the air filter. With the HEUI system it's a good idea to keep the oiling system functional.

Racor/Parker hannifin was where they were International/Ford sourced from. Racor or Donaldson made them. I know Donaldson made the air filter. With the HEUI system it's a good idea to keep the oiling system functional.
does purolator make the current motorcraft 6.0 filter? strange that their in house filter wouldn’t fit just like a motorcraft.

How long was that filter installed? Not surprised the pleats are wavy ... the longer the pleats, the easier they are to show waviness after use.

The filters in their BOSS lineup are high quality... uhm, except for the micron rating, which they do their best to hide, because it's not that great. The tiers bellow BOSS aren't great, to put it mildly. When you see a cartridge filter deform like that or twist after it's been used, that's because the media is of average to low quality, and because the end caps are to thin and they barely support the pleats. To add insult to injury, Purolator / MANN HUMMEL sources these on other cartridge filters from other vendors. They only make the spin-on filters themselves. However, if it says "Made in Korea" on one of those Purolator BOSS / Wix XP cartridge filters, then use it with confidence, it's high quality.
You have a few misses here IMO. Purolator does a great job in being transparent about the efficiencies on their filters. Some of those "aren't great" efficiencies are as excellent as 99%@17 microns. The deforming happens for several reasons & we can only speculate as to why it did here. I believe that's where a reinforced media or wire backing helps significantly when using aftermarket filters but to your point good media helps. Those Boss filters are excellent no matter their COO. The plastic end caps were plenty thick on this filter & was glued well to the media. This cartridge filter was built by Purolator right here in the USA. I do think this is a fitment issue more than anything that caused the deforming. Thanks for commenting.

does purolator make the current motorcraft 6.0 filter? strange that their in house filter wouldn’t fit just like a motorcraft.
Good question & I'm not sure who makes the current Motorcraft 6.0L filter. A decade ago Fram Tough Guard was an OEM filter in the box & I ran it for 9,500 miles w/UOA posted here. Yes, I ran a 10 year old filter last run. :oops:

Good question & I'm not sure who makes the current Motorcraft 6.0L filter. A decade ago Fram Tough Guard was an OEM filter in the box & I ran it for 9,500 miles w/UOA posted here. Yes, I ran a 10 year old filter last run. :oops:
i actually like cartridge filters for the ability to fully inspect. much nicer than a spin on that could have rust forming inside after long term storage.

How long was that filter installed? Not surprised the pleats are wavy ... the longer the pleats, the easier they are to show waviness after use.
My Google sheet shows 10-11-2023 / 03-10-2024 = around 5 months & just 98.9 hours/5,020 miles.

i actually like cartridge filters for the ability to fully inspect. much nicer than a spin on that could have rust forming inside after long term storage.
That's exactly my thoughts too. No comparison. The first cartridge filter I used was on my 02' Saturn (2.2L Ecotec). 😄

Back