PT Cruiser with mods

Does that PT Cruiser really have a high-rise manifold? You don't see that every day.

20230826_182107~2.jpg

I saw a pt on the road a few days ago. I didn't think any were Left.
There is still a good amount, the 2.0 and 2.4 engines are solid on the Neons and PT Crusiers. But unfortunately many were junked unnecessarily because people and shops thought transmissions were bad when in reality it was a $130 solenoid pack easily replaceable located under the battery tray a good majority of the time.

There is still a good amount, the 2.0 and 2.4 engines are solid on the Neons and PT Crusiers. But unfortunately many were junked unnecessarily because people and shops thought transmissions were bad when in reality it was a $130 solenoid pack easily replaceable located under the battery tray a good majority of the time.
All the ones here broke the timing belt and bent the valves. Cars were not worth the $2k to fix.

Was that due to neglect, or did the TBs fail prematurely?
Neglect, can't blame the car for owners not maintaining their vehicles properly.

Now obviously with any timing belt and even timing chain driven engines there is premature failures that can happen, but when it comes to belts good rule of thumb is if there is no record of it being done you better get it done especially on an interference engine, on a non-interference engine at least be prepared for a tow bill if you decide to push it off, and keep in mind mileage is not the only factor age is too.

The 2.0 is an interference engine, but the 2.4 depending on the situation it is going to be perfectly fine or you will have valve damage.

The valves won't hit the pistons..but if the cams get out of time the valves will all crash into each other .
So a TB failure at low RPM is way less likely to damage the engine?

I've replaced a couple of timing belts for friends on interference engines where I feared engine damage but both engines (an '88 Toyota Tercel and an '87 Accord) were OK. Both were low-speed failures. The Toyota belt snapped, whereas the Honda belt had stripped teeth.

I saw a pt on the road a few days ago. I didn't think any were Left.
I have a Co worker who daily drives hers, that she bought new in '99/2000.
IIRC it's still under 100k mi....

she's had no problems with it, but got it on a Discount when she bought it, as the train carrying hers from the factory in mexico up here to OH travelled though a hurricane/storm surge/ something, and they all were HEAVILY exposed to Salt water.... but as I said, no issues in the 20+ years she's owned it from new....

Run, don't walk. We had one for ~10 years.... Death of a thousand cuts... I take very good care of my vehicles, but the seemingly random failures and under engineered components was always a problem... (3 sets of OEM motor mounts at +$1k a pop? Could not get >36k miles out of REAR brakes/Rotors?). Mercifully, it was parked next to a hotel that caught on fire and melted enough to be totaled.

Is this what causes the rough idle when warm? I've been chasing this issue for the last several years.

Is this what causes the rough idle when warm? I've been chasing this issue for the last several years.
The 2.0 is known to have rough/low idle issues on 2nd gen Neons which I assume the 05 in your signature is what you are referring to, some people swap out the throttle body and some people do a little drill mod but personally I left mine alone and it never hurt a thing.

Also some people confuse bad or improperly adjusted torque struts/motor mounts as idle issues on these cars.

I am going to assume you already threw plugs, wires, ignition coils, idle air control valve at it and checked fuel pressure considering you been chasing it for several years?.

Back