PS Fluid - Opinion; conventional or synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since most PS systems do not have a filter, I am of the opinion to simply use conventional and change it on a fairly regular basis.

For conversation purposes, what do the BITOG masses think?

Unless your PS system is prone to getting super hot and cooking the fluid (requiring frequent changes), cheap conventional is probably fine. And adding a cooler is always an option to solve the heat problem.

I did switch my Jeep from conventional PSF to a synthetic ATF though, as the cheap PSF thickened up enough in the cold to make the steering feel a little strange for the first few minutes on the really cold days in the winter (under 10* F). No problems since I swapped it over, now it feels the same at -10* F right after startup as it does after driving for an hour at 90* F.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
It's the only fluid I never change. So I vote for factory fill.
Never had an issue.

I don't change it, either.

I'd use whatever the manufacturer calls for, and I'd change it often. I got in that habit with our Chrysler minivans. The power steering system seemed to trash the ATF+4 that it used, and I'd suck the reservoir and re-fill it at every oil change. Otherwise, the system would start moaning and groaning, especially when cold. It did have a finned power steering cooler mounted under the vehicle, at the rear of the subframe. I don't know how effective it was.

I've kept the same habit with our Hondas. It's only half a pint of fluid or so in the reservoir, so it's not very expensive to keep it fresh. Both of our Hondas have finned power steering coolers in the front grille area, in front of the A/C condenser. The fluid, which begins as clear, comes out somewhat brownish after 5,000 miles, so I like to keep it freshened, even if it's just a small amount at a time.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'd use whatever the manufacturer calls for, and I'd change it often. I got in that habit with our Chrysler minivans. The power steering system seemed to trash the ATF+4 that it used, and I'd suck the reservoir and re-fill it at every oil change. Otherwise, the system would start moaning and groaning, especially when cold. It did have a finned power steering cooler mounted under the vehicle, at the rear of the subframe. I don't know how effective it was.

I've kept the same habit with our Hondas. It's only half a pint of fluid or so in the reservoir, so it's not very expensive to keep it fresh. Both of our Hondas have finned power steering coolers in the front grille area, in front of the A/C condenser. The fluid, which begins as clear, comes out somewhat brownish after 5,000 miles, so I like to keep it freshened, even if it's just a small amount at a time.

I suction out and refill reservoir every year, regardless of miles. cost $3 to $5 for me for each car with OEM for Honda
and synthetic PS oil for others.

I had a thread asking the same for my chevy few months back, I settled on Valvoline maxlife,
I could not get Amsoil syn ps locally.

I have been using M1 ATF in my Ford PS pumps for as long as M1 ATF has been on the market(20+ years). My pumps perform very well in cold and hot temps, and have never had a failure. I do the turkey baster method every 10K OCI.

I use synthetic and change it out on a fairly regular basis.
A siphon refill once or twice a year, or at every oil change,... is a good start.

Magnefine csn be used as a PSF filter.

I prefer synthetic, but it is hard to find stuff with with the Chrysler MS5931 approval.

My Jeep is getting some cancer removed and I am borrowing a friends old Wrangler. The fluid wasnt even on the dipstick so i just went to AAP and bought some Valvoline PSF. I believe that is what my Jeep is running too. That or Oreilly house brand which meets the same spec.

I believe mineral PSF and synthetic ATF behave pretty similar in cold temps. Not sure how synthetic PSF behaves in the mix.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I prefer synthetic, but it is hard to find stuff with with the Chrysler MS5931 approval.

MaxLife PSF is available on the shelf of your local auto parts retailer.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

MaxLife PSF is available on the shelf of your local auto parts retailer.

You know, I thought it was MS5931 approved, but it didnt say it on the quart. AAP has both the white bottle and Maxlife for $5 this month.

I didnt know it was synthetic either though.

I run Maxlife ATF in any PS system that can take it. It's cheap, widely available, and synthetic. I even use it in my old 67 F250 that wants Type F in the PS, it does just fine. In the Honda, I use the factory fluid from the dealer. No idea if it's synthetic.

The white bottle Valvoline PSF is exactly what I used until I swapped the ATF+4 in (despite the manual saying never to use ATF). Funny enough, about a month after swapping to ATF, the slight seepage from one of the steering box seals went away and hasn't returned. And I have one less fluid to stock for this thing now, which is always nice. Just engine oil, diff fluid, coolant and ATF+4 (covers PS, trans and t-case).

I pump out the PS reservoir and refill at every transmission drain/fill (30k miles). MaxLife ATF in all vehicles' PS system. Works great/ is cheap/ is synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back