differential oil, dyno or synthetic ?

Seeing this posted on a tractor forum, never read about this before. ??
"Not related and just my two cents here. Living where there are big temperatures changes I personally am not a fan of synthetic gear oils. They do not absorb any moisture like conventional oils do. Having been in the trucking industry for over 10 years doing warranty claims, I have seen differentials completely rusted on the inside even if they we filled with synthetic oil. I prefer conventional oils and change it more often. When I comes out a bit white then you know it’s doing it’s job."

What say you?

Product Description MOBIL DELVAC GEAR OIL Mentions rust and corrosion prevention is description​

Mobil Delvac 1 Gear Oil 75W-90 is a fully synthetic drivetrain lubricant engineered to meet very demanding extended drain and warranty requirements. This product is designed for use in heavy-duty drivetrains that require gear lubricants with excellent load-carrying capability and where extreme pressures and shock loading are expected. Mobil Delvac 1 Gear Oil 75W-90 incorporates synthetic basestock and advanced additives providing significant advantages over conventional gear oils.

The state-of-the-art technology in Mobil Delvac 1 Gear Oil 75W-90 delivers excellent performance, helps to protect against thermal degradation and oxidation, contributes to reduced wear and corrosion, improved shear stability and extended service capability.

Features and Benefits​

Today's technology has vastly improved the performance capabilities of heavy-duty on and off-highway equipment load, torque, speed, and control through innovative drivetrain designs. These designs have changed and increased the requirements of lubricants to deliver this higher level of performance, increase productivity, and reduce operating costs. For heavy-duty final drives, friction control, wear protection, thermal stability, shear stability, rust and corrosion prevention, and seal protection are features that must be optimally balanced to contribute to extended gear and seal life, smooth operation, improved fuel economy potential and high load high torque capability over a wide range of applications.

What say you?
I say whoever wrote that garbage is like the other 97% of people who don't understand what the word "synthetic" really means (and doesn't mean) in the lubricant world. Some base stocks do resist moisture better than others, but that statement you found is a massive over-generalization.

Are you seeking a lube to choose, or just starting a conversation based on someone else's uninformed, irrational bias?

I say whoever wrote that garbage is like the other 97% of people who don't understand what the word "synthetic" really means (and doesn't mean) in the lubricant world.

Are you seeking a lube to choose, or just starting a conversation based on someone else's uninformed, irrational bias?
I will be changing out the differentials in my tractor in the next few months. I have always used synthetic in my other equipment/cars/trucks, so I was planning synthetic in this tractor. Just wondered if there were anything to the forum post I read.

That forum post is way off base. I always used syn diff oil in my pickups and NEVER had any rust or corrosion after years of use in the rain, snowy roads, snowy fields while hunting, etc. Sounds like the guy who posted was running his vehicles in deep water and letting water in through the breather hose to the differential.

If synthetics did that we would all know about it. Also a ton of "full syn" gear oils aren't even actual synthetic. Mostly group 2 with a dash of 3, rarely do they use group 4 and 5. I think who ever wrote that is just lying and made it up, why? i don't know but people are crazy nowadays and that's crazy sounding enough for me to laugh at and completely ignore.

Product Description MOBIL DELVAC GEAR OIL Mentions rust and corrosion prevention is description​

Mobil Delvac 1 Gear Oil 75W-90 is a fully synthetic drivetrain lubricant engineered to meet very demanding extended drain and warranty requirements. This product is designed for use in heavy-duty drivetrains that require gear lubricants with excellent load-carrying capability and where extreme pressures and shock loading are expected. Mobil Delvac 1 Gear Oil 75W-90 incorporates synthetic basestock and advanced additives providing significant advantages over conventional gear oils.

The state-of-the-art technology in Mobil Delvac 1 Gear Oil 75W-90 delivers excellent performance, helps to protect against thermal degradation and oxidation, contributes to reduced wear and corrosion, improved shear stability and extended service capability.

Features and Benefits​

Today's technology has vastly improved the performance capabilities of heavy-duty on and off-highway equipment load, torque, speed, and control through innovative drivetrain designs. These designs have changed and increased the requirements of lubricants to deliver this higher level of performance, increase productivity, and reduce operating costs. For heavy-duty final drives, friction control, wear protection, thermal stability, shear stability, rust and corrosion prevention, and seal protection are features that must be optimally balanced to contribute to extended gear and seal life, smooth operation, improved fuel economy potential and high load high torque capability over a wide range of applications.
Used that in a half dozen vehicles by now - in two now …
Going in 2022 Tahoe next …

Seeing this posted on a tractor forum, never read about this before. ??
"Not related and just my two cents here. Living where there are big temperatures changes I personally am not a fan of synthetic gear oils. They do not absorb any moisture like conventional oils do. Having been in the trucking industry for over 10 years doing warranty claims, I have seen differentials completely rusted on the inside even if they we filled with synthetic oil. I prefer conventional oils and change it more often. When I comes out a bit white then you know it’s doing it’s job."

What say you?
Heard a quote: “he’s strong like bull - smart like tractor”
How bigga an ole boy is he ?

I will be changing out the differentials in my tractor in the next few months. I have always used synthetic in my other equipment/cars/trucks, so I was planning synthetic in this tractor. Just wondered if there were anything to the forum post I read.
Look at the top of this sub-forum. There is a sticky to the QPL file maintained by the P-R-I.
There are a slew of gear oils that pass the very strict SAE J-2360 test protocol. You will find both syns and conventional oils on that list.
Anything on that list would more than suffice for a typical differential.

I will note that you mentioned use in a tractor. Are you sure that your equipment doesn't use UTHF (universal tractor hydraulic fluid) for those applications? Check your owner's manual if you are not 100% certain.

since learning about synthetic lubes i always use them. some real synthetic groups 4 + 5 others fake synthetic group 3 + almost ALL lubes have some synthetics in them to be able to meet todays tougher specs

since learning about synthetic lubes i always use them. some real synthetic groups 4 + 5 others fake synthetic group 3 + almost ALL lubes have some synthetics in them to be able to meet todays tougher specs
How does your comment help the OP make a decision in regards to his tractor application? The fact that you use the words "real" and "fake" referring to synthetic lubes would infer that you belong in the 97% I referred to earlier.

The OP seeks help selecting lubes for his tractor differentials. We don't even know what the application is specifically. I highly suspect that it's a tractor which uses the shared sump of the transmission to also lube the rear diff and the axle drives (typically bull gears or maybe planetary gears). If that is the case, then a typical gear oil (GL-5) isn't the right choice for the application.

For automotive use, it makes sense to use synthetic; low volume sump, long service interval, and minimal cost... especially when compared with engine oil. An excellent cost/ benefit return.

I don't know if the same would apply for the OPs application.

Reactions: 4WD
I sent this question to BlackStone labs and received this answer--

Water shouldn't be present in any oil, and if
it's there in any significant amount it will
impact a synthetic or conventional oil, usually
in the form of a high viscosity/rapid oxidation,
so our first priority would be making sure water
isn't accumulating rather than use of a synthetic or conventional.

Best,
Joe Adams
Senior Analyst

Back