Prove My Point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by Gebo
I know many hate these thoughts, but many know they are right:

1. Usually you are better off with OEM parts

2. Usually a longer OCI will cause trouble "down the road."

Deep down, we know these truths but we just try our best to rationalize in our attempt to "save" money.
We argue and try to convince ourselves and each other why we believe an oil will last a year, an aftermarket
part is just as good as an OEM, greater particle filtration is always superior, a "one size fits all" antifreeze/fluid is better
because we used it for 1 year and saw nothing bad happen, etc.

Deep down, we all know what's best and don't really need to prove anything. We really know the truth, don't we?

Who is "We?" Got a mouse in your pocket? Maybe a voice in your head?

"We" is sorta like "us." I do hear voices from time to time. Not audible. I think they are called "thoughts."

I usually carry a Seecamp .32 in my right pocket in a Del Fatti holster.

Brybo86 said:

For most Japanese cars...if it's Aisin (or Denso), it's probably OEM quality. IIRC, a "Toyota" oxygen sensor is a Denso part with a Toyota PN.

Probably true. I don't know.

Originally Posted by CT8
1. Usually you are better off with OEM parts. Usually but not always

2. Usually a longer OCI will cause trouble "down the road. Usually but not always

That's what he said.
banana2.gif
You just said it better.

Be careful CT8. This means "war" to some people.
23.gif

Originally Posted by CT8
1. Usually you are better off with OEM parts. Usually but not always

2. Usually a longer OCI will cause trouble "down the road. Usually but not always

Deep down, we know these truths but we just try our best to rationalize in our attempt to "save" money.
We argue and try to convince ourselves and each other why we believe an oil will last a year, an aftermarket
part is just as good as an OEM, greater particle filtration is always superior, a "one size fits all" antifreeze/fluid is better

Deep down, we all know what's best and don't really need to prove anything. We really know the truth, don't we?

Who is "We?" Got a mouse in your pocket? Maybe a voice in your head?
The voices in my head are powerful !

I understand. I really do.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Gebo,

that you seek affirmation to support your beliefs indicates to me that you are very uncomfortable straying out of your bubble bounded by the definition of "usually" : "Most of the time; less than always, but more than occasionally. Under normal conditions."

It's probably driven by fear of a number of things - failure, esteem, performance, perceptions, etc.....this coming from an experienced, recovering OCPD perfectionist
27.gif

It might be fine for you, but not for me. It reminds me of the Steve Martin Parenthood grandmother quote below.. my life's been a roller coaster for sure. I would hate to die having only ridden the merry-go-round the entire time:

Well, well, I sure wouldn't make the post I did looking for affirmation. I already have that. You can PM me if you want and I can tell you about it.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
Here is a post by the OP

I decided to go and change out all my ATF's to the specific Toyota fluid that is called for. I thought all of them were either T-V or WS. Bought 24 of each at my faithful Lexus Dealership. You will never guess
how surprised I was after draining the ATF out of my 2002 4Runner this afternoon. I took the 14 ml hex bolt in to get a new crush washer and as I was inspecting it I thought I saw "D II" stamped on it. I thought I better get
my reading glasses. I did and sure enough, big as day I confirmed the drain bolt said DEXRON II. I said to my self, somebody has inadvertently swapped transmission drain bolts because I know my 2002 would call
for T-IV. Then it hit me. Read the owner's manual and then I will prove this was just a simple bolt swap issue. Well, I got the owner's manual out and turned to the Transmission spec page and I couldn't believe what I saw.
My heart sunk. My transmission calls for DEXRON II.

What do I do? Please don't waste your time telling me to use Maxlife, please? Pretty please? No sugar on top though. grin2

I want to use whatever Toyota ATF I am supposed to. I know WS won't work. I don't think T-IV will work. Do I just go and find some generic Dexron III?

Remember, my point is not to use a multi-vehicle ATF. Amsoil is out. Schaeffers is out. Maxlife it out. I am of sound mind. I'm removing all my Amsoil and Schaeffers in my other car's transmissions and replacing with T-IV or WS.

Okaaaaaay. I guess Dex II is the best fluid for his app. Best to get this outdated fluid @ the dealer since Toyota spent years telling GM to make a fluid for Toyota vehicles so there must be some "special sauce" in there.

He really is just posting this to rehash the same old issues; like his is Mobil 3309 the same as T-IV thread.

Doing yearly OC or 15K miles on my 2004, using Redline D6 in the transmission and non API approved oil in the CC no issues in a 17 year old car, how much more "down the road do i need to drive?"

Well, we have a mind reader who goes through old posts. I always wonder about individuals that go back to search old posts. But I guess that's just me. Thanks for proving my point.

Do you understand "usually"? That implies that there are exceptions, right? You are an exception which is of great benefit to you.

Guess what I did yesterday? Yes, that is Toyota OEM Dex III. $8 or so a qt.

IMG_3274.jpg

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
I think OEM parts are usually the safest bet, but sometimes they are worse. Like coils and shocks for my Liberty, they sag out in 30k miles. So I bought OME springs/shocks and they last much longer and ride far nicer than the OEM stuff did. I believe it's mandatory to get OEM coolant/trans fluid/PS fluid (or equivalent, like Zerex G05).

As far the OCI, depends on the vehicle and its use.

Agree 100%

Originally Posted by gathermewool
I usually agree with Gebo...

36.gif

As I do you. It may be best to remain silent on this one.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I have seen where the downside of a longer OCI is in engines that may consume oil and the owner/operator doesn't check it regularly. Probably a not a problem with the average BITOR'er but it is a problem with a lot of owners.

Another voice of reason

Originally Posted by Lubener

I respect your right to be strange in your ways.

Thank you, kind sir!

Originally Posted by 02SE
Is OE/OEM the best? It depends.

In stock form OE parts are made to last a certain amount of time. In some cases that's just (hopefully) past the warranty period. Other manufacturers take pride in making a long-lasting, reliable product. I saw this in my days working on consumer cars, and from talking to friends and former colleagues, it holds true to this day.

In the interest of avoiding an uproar from fan boys of certain marques, I will not be listing which marques have a better track record...

I can think of aftermarket performance parts which are much better than OE/OEM. Because they need to be for the applications they are made for.

Agree. Mood suspension parts for one. Trav hooked me up with them.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Pablo

Deep down, we know these truths ............We really know the truth, don't we?

Usually? 51% of the time? 63.789% of the time? Nebulous statement is nebulous. 100% of the time I have replaced something on my 2019 truck, 100% I used something that is better than the OEM part.
Usually? There is that word again. Longer, properly extended change intervals CAUSE absolutely zero problems
NOW on both. Prove it. YOU made the statements, not a theory you said TRUTH. Prove both statements.
Pablo, Nebulous is a pretty fancy word.

Actually, maybe it is me that is nebulous? LOL

I just looked up the definition and it suits me to "T".

hazy, vague, indistinct, or confused:
cloudy or cloudlike.
of or resembling a nebula or nebulae in deep space; nebular.

Originally Posted by BHopkins

I'd put money on it that if you visited 3 different Toyota dealerships, at least 1 of them is using bulk Valvoline or Pennzoil. Why? Because it doesn't matter. People put 300k miles and more on engines with Quaker State, Castrol, Mobil 1, TGMO, and yes, even Supertech.and Amsoil.

In the case of the OP, if the fill plug is marked with Dexron II, I'd bet money that the factory fill was Dexron II. Toyota will sell you their branded tranny fluid.

Clarification: I am not referring to any particular engine oil brand. I am referring to longer service intervals.

And I use Toyota D-III. Just did it for a single Mom with 2 kids that was laid off last Monday (Actually her job was eliminated along with her boss). Notice the new bottle label on the right.

My 4Runner uses Toyota D-III as well.

IMG_3274.jpg

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I think Gebo is just trying to justify his insistence on him always using OEM parts. I mean, he's even "friends" with the parts counter guy at the Lexus dealer....

I sure wouldn't pick here looking for justification with my OP. I'm not sure what you mean by your second sentence but if you mean what I think you mean, you are not a nice man.

I think Gebo is just trying to justify his insistence on him always using OEM parts. I mean, he's even "friends" with the parts counter guy at the Lexus dealer....

I'm sure he is...he essentially walks in wearing a sandwich board stating, "I AM A FOOL-PLEASE HELP YOURSELF TO MY WALLET!"

That was uncalled for. You are not a nice man.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Pablo

Deep down, we know these truths ............We really know the truth, don't we?

Usually? 51% of the time? 63.789% of the time? Nebulous statement is nebulous. 100% of the time I have replaced something on my 2019 truck, 100% I used something that is better than the OEM part.
Usually? There is that word again. Longer, properly extended change intervals CAUSE absolutely zero problems
NOW on both. Prove it. YOU made the statements, not a theory you said TRUTH. Prove both statements.
Pablo, Nebulous is a pretty fancy word.

The meaning of a (common) fancy word is not nebulous if context is given. Pablo gave context vis a vis the subject word and IMO explicit incredulity with its use.

What did you say? I have no idea what you just said but I still love you.
crackmeup2.gif

Well, I hope I have inspired more discussion (or thoughts, voices in your head, etc.) as I have clarified (with your help) the opinion made in the OP.

I respect you right to disagree.

But for goodness sake, please be nice to one another.
34.gif

If you ask me automotive parts like a lot of things one buys these days has more to do with "luck of the draw". Back when I was doing some of my own repairs I looked for life time warranties if possible. My mech and I have that understanding, he knows when I buy a vehicle I'm in it for the long haul and want life time parts, if possible.

I'm sure he is...he essentially walks in wearing a sandwich board stating, "I AM A FOOL-PLEASE HELP YOURSELF TO MY WALLET!"

That was uncalled for. You are not a nice man.

You are just NOW realizing that?! 8 years and you are just NOW realizing I'm not nice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back