Prove My Point

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Gebo is just trying to justify his insistence on him always using OEM parts. I mean, he's even "friends" with the parts counter guy at the Lexus dealer....

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I think Gebo is just trying to justify his insistence on him always using OEM parts. I mean, he's even "friends" with the parts counter guy at the Lexus dealer....

I'm sure he is...he essentially walks in wearing a sandwich board stating, "I AM A FOOL-PLEASE HELP YOURSELF TO MY WALLET!"

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Pablo
Originally Posted by Gebo
I know many hate these thoughts, but many know they are right:

1. Usually you are better off with OEM parts

2. Usually a longer OCI will cause trouble "down the road."

Deep down, we know these truths ............We really know the truth, don't we?

Usually? 51% of the time? 63.789% of the time? Nebulous statement is nebulous. 100% of the time I have replaced something on my 2019 truck, 100% I used something that is better than the OEM part.
Usually? There is that word again. Longer, properly extended change intervals CAUSE absolutely zero problems
NOW on both. Prove it. YOU made the statements, not a theory you said TRUTH. Prove both statements.
Pablo, Nebulous is a pretty fancy word.

The meaning of a (common) fancy word is not nebulous if context is given. Pablo gave context vis a vis the subject word and IMO explicit incredulity with its use.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
You're sounding awfully preachy here. Not everyone's situation is the same. No everyone's vehicle is the same.

Well, it's what I do for a living. Sorta comes natural.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by hallstevenson

I'm sure he is...he essentially walks in wearing a sandwich board stating, "I AM A FOOL-PLEASE HELP YOURSELF TO MY WALLET!"

I wouldn't go that far. I believe the OP is on more of a fishing expedition and will have his point proven no matter the percentage of us who disagree or partially agree with his VAGUE assertions. Remember, his OP is hecka vague, opening it up to completely subjective interpretation. His points, as states, can hardly be proved nor disproved.

35.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Not sure how you could prove it, one way or the other.

Also, define "longer." Longer than 3-months/3k miles?

I can't prove it. You know that.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I think "longer" is too nebulous...

But I completely agree that you can't go wrong with OEM. I've had too many aftermarket parts disappoint...

I don't know what "nebulous" means but I do know what "usually" means.

"Longer" is however you define "extended drain interval." Not trying to be a smart aleck. I feel safe to say we would
generally and mostly agree a 10K or 1 year interval would be classified as "longer" drain interval. It's different for different
driving styles and cars. That's why I specifically mentioned "usually."

Originally Posted by brages
Depends on what you mean by OEM

OEM to me is parts purchased from a legit dealer.

For example, the Lexus Parts mgr. told me he has been approached by individuals
selling big lots of "Toyota" and "Lexus" parts. A lot cheaper than what he can buy
from his warehouses. He says he has refused. So a dishonest parts mgr could
be selling Chinese knock offs.

Originally Posted by Leo99
How far down is down the road?

Will using a better oil and filter and shorter OCI make a difference eventually? Probably but when is that? 200k miles for 400k miles?

I agree.

JeffKeryk ... Bottom line: use synthetic oils with a quality filter at 5K to 6K intervals. Your engine will reward you later on.[/quote said:
I'm with you if you do more highway driving. My wife drives less than 10 miles to work so we go with every 3K OCI and synthetic.
I drive 25 miles to work and almost all highway. I'll sometimes go every 5K and feel ok.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Generally agree with #1, though there are exceptions where OE parts have a flaw, or where it really doesn't much matter, because performance and design is truly equivalent (filters come to mind, tires, some suspension parts, some brake parts, etc). Don't really agree with #2, since there are so many considerations that go into it.

I have been told by 2 great mechanics that pretty much any suspension components made by Moog are superior to any OEM.

Remember, I said "usually."

Originally Posted by Pablo

Deep down, we know these truths ............We really know the truth, don't we?

Usually? 51% of the time? 63.789% of the time? Nebulous statement is nebulous. 100% of the time I have replaced something on my 2019 truck, 100% I used something that is better than the OEM part.
Usually? There is that word again. Longer, properly extended change intervals CAUSE absolutely zero problems.

NOW on both. Prove it. YOU made the statements, not a theory you said TRUTH. Prove both statements.

Well, excuse me. Didn't mean to rile your feathers. You know it can't be proven either way. But I have an opinion based on 6 decades of living. That's all.
You can't prove I'm wrong. I can't prove I am right. I have the opinion that Amsoil is the very best oil and lube made. I can't prove it. But I believe it.

I use Amsoil oil in 2 of the cars I take care of and only go 5k. After I get through my $10 Shell Gas and Truck I'm going back to Amsoil OE and a 3K OCI.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
It probably has something to do with personalities. Some people don't like to be told what to do, and OE is telling you what to do. Using self decided aftermarket parts means you are the chooser, you are in charge. Extending drains to what you think best is the same. I don't think people who always think they know better have hidden beliefs or regret in their decisions. They are the ones who come out and hammer down anyone who disagrees with them.
Other people are more compliant in their opinions and accept expertise of the large companies to have done what is needed to recommend parts and maintenance.

Well, said.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
There are lots of cases where the OE part is simply too darn expensive which drives people to the other brands. In most cases, using recommended OCI's will not cause problems for the original owner, especially if the vehicle is on a typical lease period.

100% agreement. I've done the same thing and purchased what was supposed to be just a good as OEM (parts from an authorized dealer) and more than once I had to pay for a second labor charge after I
went back and purchased the more expensive part from the dealer. The last 2 bad parts I got from eBay and Amazon. Thankfully, I got my money back for the parts but had to pay more for the labor and I
wasted a lot of time.

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR

Respectfully, both of those are too broad and undefined with too many variables to address with any meaningful commentary. Could you maybe break them down a little bit?

Not really. These are just general statements representing my opinion. That's all.
21.gif

Originally Posted by Cujet
It is getting harder to find quality aftermarket parts. The market is flooded with cheap copies of parts that are already failure prone. OEM's often improve parts over time.

Longer OCI's are absolutely not a good idea in some vehicles. GM, Hyundai/Kia, Ford, Honda, Toyota all have specific engines that are sensitive to oil quality, oil contamination, viscosity and dilution.

100% agreement.

Originally Posted by blupupher

As others have said, you can't make a blanket statement about longer OCI causing issues.

This is bitog for crying out loud. I can make any statement I want (with a few exceptions).
coffee2.gif

Ain't that what makes this forum great?

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
The op sounds like the type of person who believe's whatever his dealer tells him. Lots of those people around, you know the type. never change their own oil, or even a tire for that matter. Just takes it to the dealer has the repair done, and leaves with a case of the warm and fuzzies. Never thinking that just about every mfgr buys parts from suppliers, who give them the best price. That's how they become OEM parts. Things like, tires,spark plugs, wiper blades, struts, bulbs, brake pads, rotors, starters, alternators, batteries, filters, oil trans, air and cabin, hoses, and electrical parts. And let's not forget, oil. If they are the best, why would you ever need to replace them? I know I'm not the only one who has had better luck with aftermarket parts in the quality and performance aspect, then I got with original factory OEM parts. Usually for a better purchase price to boot.,,

Obviously, you know nothing about me.

Originally Posted by Brybo86
So Gebo when you did the timing belt in your LS400 you bought genuine Lexus branded parts?
Or did you buy the Aisin kit for 1/3 price and exact same parts?

I buy a majority of Genuine parts but some stuff is literally a Lexus name slapped on a part. In that case I buy OES like Denso, Aisin, NGK, etc

The Aisin kit for my LS400 said "Lexus" on the belt ...

I don't really know the point of your question. What if I bought a Gates belt? That has nothing to do with my original post.

If you are trying to purchase OEM parts online, be careful. Lot's of copycats that "look" exactly like the same stuff purchased
from a dealer. You may be amazed if you have time to google "counterfeit parts" or something like that. We are being
flooded with counterfeit parts. Sad but true.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
I would say OEM for most sensors but the aftermarket has fixed some replacement parts that the OEMs never have. Really depends on the parts.

I would say oil change interval depends on the car. I would not hesitate to run the truck, Caprice or Trans Am to 7500 miles. (I don't and I won't), but the Malibu 2.0 Direct injected turbo, gets it every 4000 miles.

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back