Projects you made in shop class that you still have?

I soldered together a tachometer from a kit in high school. Put it into my 1961 Chevy Impala with a big block 409 engine.

I have neither the car or tach left today.
That jogged my memory. I remember being in an electronics class where as part of the grade, I built a Heathkit PA Siren. Installed it in my mother's 75 Cutlass. Car is long gone but still have the siren stored in the basement.

I made this bowl in shop class when I was in about the 8th or 9th grade. About 1966 or 1967. My shop teachers name was Jasper Jones. No…no one called him Jasper! I told Mr Jones I wanted to make a bowl so he gathered up some scrap wood and told me how to glue them together then I “rounded it up“ with a huge floor mounted band saw and finished it up on a large industrial wood lathe. I remember putting the date on the bottom of the bowl but he suggested gluing a round piece of green felt to the bottom so the exact date is lost in time. He told me the scrap wood was “Hackberry” and I had never heard of that wood before or since! I gave it to my mom and she cherished it until she died in 2011 at the age of 97. It now sits on my fireplace mantel.

Attachments

• B95D3BF1-E66F-4CF7-A09A-501BE857D82B.jpeg
    B95D3BF1-E66F-4CF7-A09A-501BE857D82B.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 14
  • E371A8FC-BAD9-4519-953B-B8B662324F12.jpeg
    E371A8FC-BAD9-4519-953B-B8B662324F12.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 14
  • CB167525-CDE0-4DB0-9E29-31E3CD340C12.jpeg
    CB167525-CDE0-4DB0-9E29-31E3CD340C12.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 12
I’m jealous of you all.. making desks and cutting boards. I wish i had that opportunity. In 6th grade all we could do was plastic key chains. Haha. I do remember making a clock at some point though, but by the time I went to high school (a votech) I took culinary arts.

I still have the flight box that I built for my model airplanes in 7th grade(1968). The class project was for a set of corner shelves. I had no desire to build those. The teacher was happy to help and show me how to do the joints.

Ed

IMG_0525.jpg

1) Why was it called "shop"? It was a class that taught you how to work with wood, so why didn't they call it carpentry class?

2) Do public schools still have "shop" class anymore, or it did they go the way of 8-track tapes? What about "Home Economics" that was mostly taken by girls. Never took it but understood it was about cooking and baking, so why did they call it, economics?

Anyway, post some pics of anything you made in class that you still have to this day.

I still have this cutting board that I use every day, and a planter box.

View attachment 139412

View attachment 139413

I recall a guy letting one of those cutting boards get sideways in a big planer - WOOOMP = toothpick rainbow

Most fitting to mention I made ramps from angle iron …
Not used since my old PowerWagon - in a shed - sentimental I guess …

Reactions: GON
I don't think I still have anything, but I do remember some of the things I made in jr high shop class. We had metal shop in the first half and wood in the second. It was really simple, but we made those little hand spun propellers. Everyone else made them pretty much flat where the angle of attack would do the lifting. But mine has a very distinct airfoil shape, and mine flew higher.

26 states have vocational high schools, there should be 50. I graduated from a school like that, it helped me tremendously...it allowed me into career areas that I never would have even been considered for, it opened up doors that I didn’t know existed, and it made me money (and saved me money). I did eventually end up completing a bachelor’s degree later in life, but nothing helped me more than vocational education.

A shelf that I made in wood shop. I gave it to my parents and after they died I reclaimed it. Now it needs some repair as it got damaged in a movie.

So was it used in as a movie prop or did pay admission for it to have it sitting beside you as you watched the movie? :ROFLMAO:
I kid, Donald. Autocorrect can be humorous at times.
To the OP, I've got a stereo cabinet and a telephone holder that's made for the old rotary phone. My kids don't understand it.

I like these the most out of what I made. A funnel (which I made in 9th grade and still use today) and a trowel, don't use and is of a goofy design. Also an aluminum anvil paperweight that was sandcasted from pistons from the autoshop that we melted.
Mr. Stinaur was my metal shop teacher and also a gunsmith. He use to bring rifles to the class and work on them when we were doing our projects/classwork! This was in the mid 80s and in MT. He was a riot, nobody messed with him and looked like he could be a cousin of Danny DeVito.

1676089087025.jpg

I loved woodshop. It was a mandatory class in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade when I was in school. Took it in high school too. As well as auto shop. I made a nice bowl with a lid back in the 80’s my folks still have at their house. Made a baseball bat too. Unfortunately that disappeared 30+ years ago. I still have a really nice checker board I made as well as two different jewelry boxes my wife and I still use today. One is in her closet and the other in mine. Kinda cool to have kept this stuff. Not sure what happened to all the other projects.

We had some good classes to take right at school. Woodshop, home economics, metal shop, auto shop, drafting.

From 1965 9th grade machine shop- paper punch, small claw hammer and cast aluminum dog plaque.
Wood working round turntable record stand. Solid walnut.
Kindling and bent nails sure i scored a A.

When I graduated High School in 2001 it was known as CDC (Career Development Center). They had a radio class with a low watt broadcast tower, automotive, culinary maybe. I went with my parents to check out the automotive repair class. By the time I was looking at it they had gutted the class to a little over 2 hours, vs a half-day class back in the day. My dad took Diesel mechanics in college and worked in a body shop all throughout high school. He taught me a lot of what they were planning on covering. With a 2hr 15 minute class by the time you got there set-up and started some work it was time to go.

I had a surface table cast of cast iron at a local foundry (~20x20x6"). I machined it to a flatness of 0.001 and then lapped it to ~ 0.0005 and checked it with a 0.0001 dial indicator. My dad used it for many years and now a friend uses it in his machined shop.

Back