Projects you made in shop class that you still have?

1) Why was it called "shop"? It was a class that taught you how to work with wood, so why didn't they call it carpentry class?

2) Do public schools still have "shop" class anymore, or it did they go the way of 8-track tapes? What about "Home Economics" that was mostly taken by girls. Never took it but understood it was about cooking and baking, so why did they call it, economics?

Anyway, post some pics of anything you made in class that you still have to this day.

I still have this cutting board that I use every day, and a planter box.

IMG_3376.JPG

IMG_3378.JPG

i still have a jewelry box i made in shop class. Why I kept I'll never know...lol...you have me wondering if there still a shop class in schools.

When I was little we had a shop class. I made a keychain out of plastic and engraved “to mom love Hyundai Respecter” and she still has it. It’s looks terrible but she kept it. I remember home economics too, I’m not a girl but boys and girls were in it. I made a pillow but that’s long gone.

Nothing really practical but I still have my electrical board from high school auto shop that took 1st place. I used a lighting module from a school bus with 4 amber lights, 4 red lights, the clear rooftop strobe and had a relay output for a stop sign(couldn’t locate a electric sign though) plus I wired headlights in too. Had the master, momentary warning button, sign inhibit button it all worked. All laid out on a piece of plywood.

Here they don't have "shop" in school, but they have a completely separate track / school where students can pursue those careers. I think its in conjunction with the local tech college, they just built a big new building. Everything from metal fab to cosmotology, agriculture, etc. Its just getting started, so not sure how its working.

I think my mom still has the book ends I made?

There are shop classes still. It's just likely under a different name. In our district it's called design and modeling, problem a more appropriate name. I don't even think it was called shop when I was in middle school.

I still have a lamp that I made 25 years ago, somewhere lol

Here they don't have "shop" in school, but they have a completely separate track / school where students can pursue those careers. I think its in conjunction with the local tech college, they just built a big new building. Everything from metal fab to cosmotology, agriculture, etc. Its just getting started, so not sure how its working.

I think my mom still has the book ends I made?

IMO, that's a little different. We have that in our district too. Used to be called VoTech (Vocational Technology), now it's the School of Technology. Most of the offerings are intended for those who are more interested in going into the work force after high school, however, some are more specific technology related items that may help a student better prepare for a technology driven career after additional school.

I believe ours is 100% ran by the local school district, not the local community college.

We had "shop" class in junior high (grades 7-9) and then in high school, you had the option of vocational school (now seem to be called "career tech" or similar) with a wealth of options. My high school had it's own vocational school with carpentry, graphic design, auto mechanics, body shop, welding, cosmetology, and food service. The general public could use the cosmetology students for hair cuts, etc and the food service operated a restaurant that was open for a couple hours (lunch only) a day.

What about "Home Economics" that was mostly taken by girls. Never took it but understood it was about cooking and baking, so why did they call it, economics?
I took "home ec" and so did a lot of guys. Why ? We got to cook and bake .... and eat what we made !! I think the "economics" part of the name came from a 1950s mindset of the women's "job" was at home and she was in charge of things there.

Do public schools still have "shop" class anymore
I need to ask our kids what options they have/had. I know our son took one 'cause he made a kitchen cutting board (it looks too nice to use so my wife and I have it as kitchen decoration!) and he also made a simple "tool box" that I have.

In 8th grade shop class, one of the required projects was to make a funnel out of galvanized sheet metal. Over 50 years later, and I still have mine, setting on a shelf in the garage. I used it for a very long time, but retired it decades ago. Brings back memories every time I look at it.

Great thread.

I don't have any of the items left, but recall two items I made. In welding class made a boat anchor. In woodworking class made a maple (cedar lined) hope chest.

Shop class was an awesome class- I don't hear much about high school students and shop class today, with the exception of some high schools having a body shop class where they spend the semester rebuilding a smashed up car.

I only made 2 things in shop, one was a nightstand and one was a desk. The nightstand, I think I've basically used it ever since? not sure, but it's been by my bed probably the last 20 years.

The desk didn't get much use in high school, as it was made towards the end, used it in college. After college it wound up being packed away for nearly 20 years. Been in use the last two years, after I built my office at home. Not particularily ergonomic, I removed the keyboard tray as it wound up on my lap. Ironically... the decision as to the height to make that desk drove the height of the tables that I built next to the desk in my office. Talk about decisions from your past still shaping your future... Anyhow, not pretty, but still functioning.

1675883601336.jpg

IIRC I took home ec too, only remember how to use measuring cups to measure dry stuff (only to still use them to measure fluids, lol).

Made this clock in a woodworking class in 8th grade. The teacher took it to the state fair and won $500 with it and gave me $10 and kept the rest for the school.

Attachments

• 5080C97A-F97F-42E1-8F11-DABFDC6519BE.jpeg
    5080C97A-F97F-42E1-8F11-DABFDC6519BE.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 10
My kids had a welding class that they made a workbench frame and a bar top height rolling work cart/table that we use in the garage daily. I also have a chest of drawers dresser that my Dad made in HS that I still use to this day as well.

I made a few random things my family still has, but my favorite is this. I made one out out of cherry and the other out of walnut. It was copied off of my great great grandfathers table he supposedly built in Germany I would guess somewhere between 1875 and 1900. My mom has the original.
8D2A1E29-2225-4502-85D0-32BBD2D3320B.jpeg

I took wood shop, machine shop and auto shop, 2 years each it was lots of fun.

I made a pair of jack stands in ag shop. As far as I know, they are still in my parents' Quonset hut somewhere.

They're sturdier than the sheet metal ones I've been dragging around through multiple moves.

Reactions: GON
I made several things. I kept all of them. Have a hammer, phone stand, toolbox, a giant mold of a penny, probably several things I don’t remember lol. I only done it for one year so I could do my automotive class. My hammer sits in my home toolbox I’ve used it a couple times I just don’t want anything to happen to it. My dad used to have the hammer he made as well and the last trucking company he worked for he was parked at a hotel and they had one key fits all trucks. Some low life stole it and all his tools and his homemade tool roll out of the truck. Whenever he sees mine it makes him think of his cause it looks just like it. I wanted to make him one too but I never got the chance plus due to materials we could only make one per student.

I soldered together a tachometer from a kit in high school. Put it into my 1961 Chevy Impala with a big block 409 engine.

I have neither the car or tach left today.

@atikovi

1. Because classes are held in a wood shop, and carpentry is a specialization within the construction sector. In Ontario schools, it's classified as broad based technology which is embedded in the curriculum, for Construction Technology courses.

2. Yes, my kids are enrolled in two, contstruction technology (electrical, framing, drywall etc) previously mentioned here ⬆️ , and personal services (hair styling, make-up etc.).

3. I made a plastic key chain which holds a wallet sized photo, and I also made a wooden CD (jewel case) holder in school.

Back