Product to keep bugs from sticking to car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Do you get those [censored] love bugs where you live?

I hate those things.
My bike was covered with them, took me over an hour to get them off. And man do they stink.

I have some on the front of my truck for over a week now, I don't think they will come off.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
On my camper i use eagle one wax as you dry. I use it after i wash it. Then a coat on the front dry with out water.

Actually iirc, i used Klasse sealant on the front only, then wax as you dry over that after 24 hrs. Klasse once a year, eagle wax as u dry every outing.

Last edited:
Coming from Australia, bugs on road trips are always a problem, especially around harvest time. As others have said, ensuring there is a wax or sealant on the car will make remove easier. A wax/sealant will also help protect the paint from the acids present in bug guts.

But the real trick is to remove them as soon as you arrive. Before you go to your hotel, find the local DIY car wash / high pressure hose joint... (Called Happy Wash in Australia.) Either that or take your own. If you can get them off before they set, then life will be much easier. Using a high pressure hose will also ensure you can remove them from your radiator/grill without too much hassle.

Also depending on the drive and how bad the bugs are, you might need to (or choose to) remove them each time you stop for fuel.

I've arrived in towns in Aus with the front of my car green with bug guts and the windscreen a mess. 2 minutes on the high pressure hose and it's all clean. You notice a difference if you've got a fresh coat of wax/sealant, vs. not.

Just be sure not to let them bake on in the sun. That makes it painful to remove and the acids that form can mar the paint (especially single stage paints.)

Regards
jordan

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: bigt61
REJEX - NOTHING STICKS BUT THE SHINE!

I would second that. When our dollar went down the toilet, it's been harder to get here, though.

Does Rejex prevent etching from acid rain and bird droppings at all? I'm trying to decide if I want to spend megabucks on ceramic coating to protect my new Corvette when it arrives or if I should give Rejex a try. My biggest issue at work is that I get bird droppings almost on a daily basis and they always etch into the clearcoat pretty badly.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Do you get those [censored] love bugs where you live?

I hate those things.
My bike was covered with them, took me over an hour to get them off. And man do they stink.

I have some on the front of my truck for over a week now, I don't think they will come off.

Lately I've seen all the motorcyclists wearing banbanas over their nose and mouth. I've swallowed or actually inhaled my share of bugs while riding haha.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Does Rejex prevent etching from acid rain and bird droppings at all? I'm trying to decide if I want to spend megabucks on ceramic coating to protect my new Corvette when it arrives or if I should give Rejex a try. My biggest issue at work is that I get bird droppings almost on a daily basis and they always etch into the clearcoat pretty badly.

Obviously the longer a bird [censored] is on the paint, the better its chances of etching it. Especially if it's in the sun (get that awesome bake on.) So cleaning it off as quick as possible is best.

I've not had any experience with modern ceramic coats, but I suspect they're still no replacement for honect car/paint care. They're not a ' do once and forget about for ever. Personally I've been very impressed with Auto Glym Extra - Gloss Protection. It's a very thin product, where 1 bottle will last years if applied correctly. I've been applying 2 layers every 3 months after stripping all the old stuff off (with carrnuba wax on top periodically.) Road grime, bugs, bird [censored] all comes off very easily and has not left any etching.

extra_gloss_protection_website_canvas_150dpi_3.png

There are many other good sealants as well, but in Aus, this one is well priced, goes a very long way and lasts very well. (It'll last longer than 3 months, but by 3 months, it's best to top up. Best way to apply is to pit it in a squigy/spray bottle and spray your applicator pad to get good even coverage. Lay it on very very thinly, and let it cure for a minimum 30 minutes, or best over night (if it's not too cold.)

Regards
Jordan

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of good things about Auto Glym. Their sealant will certainly help in cleaning off the bugs and protect the clearcoat as well. Another good sealant is Menzerna Power Lock. It's also named Jescar Power Lock. Same product. These sealants leave a very slick and smooth surface on the vehicle which will help getting the bugs muck off.

Originally Posted By: JFAllen

I've not had any experience with modern ceramic coats, but I suspect they're still no replacement for honect car/paint care. They're not a ' do once and forget about for ever. Personally I've been very impressed with Auto Glym Extra - Gloss Protection. It's a very thin product, where 1 bottle will last years if applied correctly. I've been applying 2 layers every 3 months after stripping all the old stuff off (with carrnuba wax on top periodically.) Road grime, bugs, bird [censored] all comes off very easily and has not left any etching.

extra_gloss_protection_website_canvas_150dpi_3.png

There are many other good sealants as well, but in Aus, this one is well priced, goes a very long way and lasts very well. (It'll last longer than 3 months, but by 3 months, it's best to top up. Best way to apply is to pit it in a squigy/spray bottle and spray your applicator pad to get good even coverage. Lay it on very very thinly, and let it cure for a minimum 30 minutes, or best over night (if it's not too cold.)

Regards
Jordan

Thanks for the tip Jordan! I just checked Canadian Tire's website and they sell this product and it's only $15.99! I also ordered a bottle of Rejex from E Bay yesterday but that ended up costing me $37. I now have a couple of products to test on my current Corvette to help me decide which one to use when my new one arrives.

When you say to let it cure for at least 30 minutes (or overnight if possible) do you mean to wait to buff it off for that long, or just that the paint should sit out of the elements for that length of time AFTER buffing it completely off?

I haven't left stuff on long enough to verify personally that it does, but it would seem it does. On a buddy's clear bra on his car, Rejex kept it from yellowing and getting bug stains, which was a big problem for him. I would say give the stuff a try.

Rejex is very nice to apply and remove, too, at least on the paint. It works on the glass, but that's a workout. As for the AutoGlym stuff, keep an eye at CT or Partsource. They have some good specials, as it looks like you found out.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I haven't left stuff on long enough to verify personally that it does, but it would seem it does. On a buddy's clear bra on his car, Rejex kept it from yellowing and getting bug stains, which was a big problem for him. I would say give the stuff a try.

Rejex is very nice to apply and remove, too, at least on the paint. It works on the glass, but that's a workout. As for the AutoGlym stuff, keep an eye at CT or Partsource. They have some good specials, as it looks like you found out.

I bought some Auto Glym today and already put some on the hatch and rear fenders of the Corvette to test it out against bird bombs. I always wipe off the bird bombs as soon as I see them at the end of the day at work, and even in a short period of time they were etching the paint. Tonight before I put on the Auto Glym I used my buffer to first remove those etchings, so next week at work, for once I'll actually be hoping to see some bird poop on my car to give it a test!
smile.gif

Auto Glym was pretty easy to use, I put it on with the buffer so I spread it thin and let it sit for an hour and then it buffed off easily.

I wish I already had the Rejex so I could apply it on another portion of the Corvette but I will have to wait until next week as it just shipped from BC this afternoon (should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday)

When you say to let it cure for at least 30 minutes (or overnight if possible) do you mean to wait to buff it off for that long, or just that the paint should sit out of the elements for that length of time AFTER buffing it completely off?

Yes, leave it for +30 minutes (longer if it's cool,) there are instructions on the bottle. But from the AutoGlym Website

• Shake well and apply the sealant to a soft cloth (or foam/microfibre applicator pad.)
    Apply a thin, even layer to the painted surfaces. Do not apply to unpainted rubber or unpainted plastic trim.
    Allow 30 minutes to dry and buff with a Hi-Tech Finishing Cloth.
    Wash regularly with Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner. This will remove dirt but not the Extra Gloss Protection.

Doing a second coat that's left over night, is just a way to ensure that it has cured completely, before being buffed off. Comes off easier the longer it's left. WHile you can use a buffer (as you did) I find it best to apply by hand.

Hope it works for you, and that I haven't given you a bum-steer
wink.gif

regards
Jordan

P.S: Just remember to lay it in very thinly. A little goes a very long way

Last edited:
I wish I already had the Rejex so I could apply it on another portion of the Corvette but I will have to wait until next week as it just shipped from BC this afternoon (should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday)

What's disappointed me lately in Rejex is the cost. It being produced by a small company, when our dollar went down the toilet, things got expensive. Eshine.ca used to sell it, but they stopped carrying it, probably because of that reason.

My experience with Rejex has mainly been on the glass. When they say bugs will blow off without going nuts with pressure or scrubbing, they're not kidding, so I have a feeling it would do well to prevent etching, too.

Personally, I've wanted to try a couple AutoGlym things one of these days when I come across one of the big CT or Partsource specials.

I always wipe off the bird bombs as soon as I see them at the end of the day at work, and even in a short period of time they were etching the paint. Tonight before I put on the Auto Glym I used my buffer to first remove those etchings, so next week at work, for once I'll actually be hoping to see some bird poop on my car to give it a test!
smile.gif

Can you park some where else to avoid getting all the bird bombs? I've noticed the closer I park to trees and a bird feeder the more bird dirt the car receives. Not to mention the sap from the trees. Plus the darker the paint the easier the BD will bake into the paint. Then there's always a car cover which shouldn't be too bad for a vette since it's smaller in size.

I'm not really a car cover kind of a person, I think it's a bit silly to put one on at work, even if it would provide protection. There really isn't a good place to park at my work that doesn't get bird bombs. There are just tons of power lines, trees and stuff everywhere so there are birds flying all over the place, no spot is truly safe, I've tried a bunch of them with little success. I now have done the entire car with Auto Glym and put on a second coat on the hatch area which always seems to be their target for some reason! I wasn't that happy with the way the product was streaky when I buffed it off, I had to go over it quite a few times and still haven't fully gotten rid of the streaks. It was 95 degrees here today though, so that probably didn't help, even though I let it cure for 90 minutes before buffing it off. I'll let it sit overnight now and go out in the morning when the temps are in the 70s and wipe it down with detailing spray to clean it up some more. The finish does feel pretty slick now, I'm sure bugs won't stick to this stuff easily
smile.gif

I find that Extra Gloss Protection, leaves a better finish, the better starting paint. With my cars I've always ensured that the paint is flat, and has no surface bonded contaminants first. If there is. then any sealant will be problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back