Probably the worst case of sludge I've ever seen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearly new Kia Sorento with 16k miles on its 3rd reported oil change. Some guys on Reddit talking about potential sabotage.

Unreal

looks like someone dumped sugar in it, or coolant in the oil(large amount)

Last edited:
Only way I could see this happening is if it was a DI/Turbo with zero oil changes.

Unless Hyundai/Kia's DI/Turbo engines are that abusive on oil.

Mmmmmm Apple crisp. Looks like someone beat their Sorento off road and dunked it. Either that or it had a compromise between the cooling system and crankcase.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Only way I could see this happening is if it was a DI/Turbo with zero oil changes.

Unless Hyundai/Kia's DI/Turbo engines are that abusive on oil.

I don't know.. Even at 16k and zero oil changes, I can't see it getting THAT bad.

I've seen a lot of emulsified oil from being mixed with coolant/water/etc but I've never seen it that thick like that....it looks like chassis lube to me....a whole bunch of it.

YOU would think if that much coolant had gotten into the crank- case it would have overheated from a lack of coolant. I think it went for a swim!

That doesn't look like coolant contamination.

That looks like "I can't afford my payments so I am going to destroy the car to get the manufacturer to buy it back"

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
*puke* *shudder*

That was my reaction to looking at the pictures, too.
Oh the humanity! For the love of cars, why do people commit such atrocities on a helpless mechanical entity!

Originally Posted By: dparm
Reddit comments are spot-on: someone clearly put something OTHER than oil into the crankcase.

I do not see any pics on my phone....but judging from yalls comments it is pretty bad. At that low of mileage I am guessing some gear lube/coolant/something odd got poured into the crankcase.

friends of my family once bought a new suburban and it lasted 28k on the initial fill, owners got confused and thought it was maintenance free for the first 100k. It still blows my mind to think about that one. Btw, they talk bad about GMC now...i really have to bite my lip.

Kia Sorento?

Yeah, lots of people trying to unload this car after experiencing horrible MPGs.

Same goes for Santa Fe owners.

Engine failures seem to be common with this type of car from Hyundai even though the same engine is used in their sonatas.

Sure looks like a slow, steady coolant leak into the oil to me.

But over time that would have resulted in a very definite coolant loss. None of this, "it might have lost a little but its hard to be sure" stuff with that. If that wasn't reported, then sabotage looks better and better.

I don't think plain water, like from dunking it in a stream or flood, would do that. There's something chemical going on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back