Printer often goes offline/shuts off

So far, it seems to be working. I did notice it not starting & printing once or twice, but the overwhelming majority of the time, it is working well.

So far, it seems to be working. I did notice it not starting & printing once or twice, but the overwhelming majority of the time, it is working well.

My HP LaserJet would do the same (go into a deep sleep and not wake on print, and it was hardwired) and a firmware update solved it completely, so I'm not surprised by the improvement.

Well a week later, and still the same as my last reply--it MIGHT have goofed up once or twice, but maybe not at all, but I've printed many many times and it is doing well.

Thanks for the idea of a firmware update. I would have thought that a driver update would have taken care of that, but those were two separate downloads.

Well a week later, and still the same as my last reply--it MIGHT have goofed up once or twice, but maybe not at all, but I've printed many many times and it is doing well.

Thanks for the idea of a firmware update. I would have thought that a driver update would have taken care of that, but those were two separate downloads.

You are quite welcome :)

A week or two ago I changed my printer settings to max out the time it takes before going into standby. That has helped tremendously as well, a bigger improvement than the update. Perhaps there was something interfering with it coming back online? I don't know. All I know is that lately, almost always, I can just send a print job and it actually gets printed. :)

my canon MG is only on when used + hard wired + it shows offline now + then on its own. never had any issues with windows 7 like i do on windows 10, a DOWNDRADE IMO

I had similar issue with a random HP printer and bought a Brother All in one laser and loving life. Good luck, I tried everything including fixing up firmware on that HP to no avail.

I have a 10+ year old Brother laser that I never touch connected via wired ethernet. I have a 10 +year old Canon MX870 all in one that is wired as well. The Canon has issues every once in a while when it hasn't been used for a while. I have to power cycle the Canon to get it to work again. Not a big deal because I mainly use it as a scanner and rarely to print color. Brother is definitely solid.

Back