Prices of engine oil @ Can. Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Stewie
No real canadian buys from Cra.ppy when stuff is not on sale as most of their prices are inflated.

I was going to give the same reply. No one buys oil at the regular price up here.
Between Cdn Tire and Walmart, one brand name synthetic will always be on sale. I bought jugs of 5w30 & 0w40 Castrol Edge for $25 cdn/jug. That's cheaper than me going over to the States with our lower dollar and bridge fare.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Yall's synth prices are hwy robbery! But your PYB prices are only a dollar more than they are at Walmart here.

Except that was our rollback price, not our regular price.
wink.gif
Canadian Tire's regular conventional price is pushing $30 a jug. I get Delvac 1 cheaper than that.

The new flyer shows how badly CT has lost the plot. The regular price on GTX is now $29.99 (yes, they show an Edge picture, but Canadian Tire has never in its history sold a jug of synthetic for a regular price of $29.99, and the text says conventional).

Originally Posted By: Garak
The new flyer shows how badly CT has lost the plot. The regular price on GTX is now $29.99 (yes, they show an Edge picture, but Canadian Tire has never in its history sold a jug of synthetic for a regular price of $29.99, and the text says conventional).

$19.99 too

For Canadians, there are two rules that you should know to save some $$.

Rule 1, always buy it when it's on sale. (Canadian Tire-Walmart etc.)

Rule 2, if you go to US, you should buy 1-2 or more jugs for future oil changes.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
For Canadians, there are two rules that you should know to save some $$.

Rule 1, always buy it when it's on sale. (Canadian Tire-Walmart etc.)

Rule 2, if you go to US, you should buy 1-2 or more jugs for future oil changes.

Or buy from distributor

Or TGMO for 0w20 grade

Or buy from distributor
Or TGMO for 0w20 grade

So where are the friendly and honest distributors offering good prices in the neighborhood? Only one in the GTA Ontario I have found
NOCO LUBRICANTS CANADA
5468 Dundas Street West - Suite 401
Toronto
ON M9B 6E3

NOCO is an Imperial Oil distributor. I'm pretty sure they have more than one location. The best place to look in the phone book in the yellow pages isn't under lubricants, but under bulk fuel. Alternatively, the easiest way to locate a distributor is to go to the oil company's home page and conduct a search.

Here is the link for Imperial Oil's search and here for Shell Canada's. I can link those since they are site sponsors. Petro-Canada can be searched fairly easily on their site. Chevron in Canada is a little more complex, thanks to differing distribution depending upon the region of Canada.

Originally Posted By: max88

Or buy from distributor
Or TGMO for 0w20 grade

So where are the friendly and honest distributors offering good prices in the neighborhood? Only one in the GTA Ontario I have found
NOCO LUBRICANTS CANADA
5468 Dundas Street West - Suite 401
Toronto
ON M9B 6E3

What are their prices like?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why do you Canadians get ripped off on oil so much? Don't you have oil pipelines running all over the country?

weak currency

Even when the Aussie dollar was worth 20 cents more than the US dollar, we were still having our pants pulled down on oil (and fuel) prices. The sales of US built crate engines skyrocketed though - it was cheaper to import a new Chev or Ford engine than have one built up here!

It's not our currency, we've been paying a lot more than US consumers have as long as I can remember. Our dollar right now is trading around 83 cents to the US dollar mostly due to the lower price of oil traded on the NY exchange & perhaps also Brent Crude prices. When oil was trading at or above $100 US a barrel our dollar was trading anywhere from $1.06 to $0.95 but the prices we paid for oil were still had the same gap as we now see.
The higher prices we pay for oil in Canada & almost everything else is blamed by our governments (Federal & Provincial) as well as the excuse companies use is it costs more to ship goods here & due to our smaller population. Most Canadians know they're fabricating lies but unless we drive across the border what can we do.

Your dollar isn't "weak" as far as its value is concerned on the currency trading floors around the world. Against other currencies it's not weak.
We all know it's valuation is a con considering the US is a financial basket case due to extreme debts (federal, state, local as well as individual) unfunded liabilities like what some in the US call Obama-Care etc.
It's just that the US Dollar is still primarily used as the benchmark valuation other nations use to compare their own. This long held benchmark has been shifting recently as Russia, China, Iran and a few other nations are beginning to trade oil for instance in the Chinese Yuan or Russian Ruble. The Yuan right now is trading at US 0.16 & the Ruble $0.20. Nice cushion for them when it comes to exports. Everyone knows the Yuan is undervalued on purpose but due to the nature of the beast we call the Stock Exchange and going back to when they axed the "Gold Standard" as well as the destruction of the Glass Steagall Act.
You can watch Nixon's speech if you go to youtube and type in "Nixon Ends Bretton Woods International Monetary System" it's interesting.

Last edited:
weak currency

The currency is a minimal part of the problem. Walmart Canada and Canadian Tire like to do a more than 100% markup on their oil products. I know that Canadian Tire gets Delvac products cheaper than I do, yet, they charge more than 100% more than my cost. So, figure out where the problem lies.

Another automotive shop I deal with charges the public only 10-20% markup on oil prices, with the markup leaning towards 10% on most products.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
weak currency

Weaker than the U.S. Dollar?

yes

1 CAD = 0.822397 USD 2015-05-19 02:19 UTC

Also the market here for oil is all marked up (mentioned earlier) so if anyone needs some rushed OCI will pay big time.

Example: 4.4qts 0w20 M1 AFE = $52
sale = $30

USA regular price is $37 for 5 + 1 qts

Sale maybe $20-$25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back