Outrageous Price of BMW LL17FE+ engine oil

Looks like Valvoline has released new Euro oils…

The 0W-20 looks interesting…

I was just about to post(before i read^^^) that your local autozone can deliver(they should have pick-up also) Valvoline European Vehicle 0W-20.

Approvals and Licenses: 508, 509, Porsche C20, API SN, SN+

Recommended Applications: ACEA C5, MB 229.71, BMW LL-17FE+, Volvo xxx blah blah, STJLRxxxx blah blah

I recognize that BMW's LL17FE+ oil standard is not one that every manufacturer is trying to meet, and that it presumably requires some fancy footwork in the lab to conform, but I am nonetheless shocked and appalled to see Pentosin's offering selling for $26 a quart on Amazon. I was already squeezed by paying between $50 and $60 for five quarts of Liqui-Moly. Will we ever see this standard met by Quaker State at less than $35 for five quarts? Will we ever be able to have a decent discussion about whose LL17FE+ offering is best, or are we destined to by as cheaply as we can, or defy BMW's guidance for their most ubiquitous new engines and simply go for a cheaper 0W20 oil.
You bought a newer BMW, which requires premium fuel, and you’re worried about the cost of oil? Just buy LL04 if you’re that stingy. Don’t use some random 0W-20. LL04 is actually better for the engine.

No vehicle is that fussy about oil.
I agree. A friend of mine has several cars, all of them get Kirkland 5w30. This included a GX470, Sienna, CL550, M235i, and a RC F. He sent a UOA of the CL and it came back with flying colors. Seems like unless you’re tracking your cars you don’t have to worry so much.

My buddy’s Challenger Hellcat runs fine on Costco 0W30 synthetic oil at less than $10 per gallon. His is on 5k OCI and change twice a year but only change Mobil 1 filter once a year in December.

I am sure his Hellcat will outlast most of not all Bimmer under same driving condition.

I’ll pay a dollar or two more to have it delivered to my front door if it keeps me out of my local Walmart!
Wally pays their technicians the same rate as the non-English speaking people walking around doing nothing. Would you trust those people to change your oil without watching and verifying they could do it on other people’s cars first.

My buddy’s Challenger Hellcat runs fine on Costco 0W30 synthetic oil at less than $10 per gallon. His is on 5k OCI and change twice a year but only change Mobil 1 filter once a year in December.

I am sure his Hellcat will outlast most of not all Bimmer under same driving condition.
Never saw or heard of Costco 0w-30 oil.

Amazon raises prices for Prime members to cover the "free" freight. I've seen big price differences on an item on Amazon if I look at it without being signed in and then when I look at it again after signing in. Most items are higher after I sign in., especially for relatively inexpensive stuff.
I have not had any issue with oil in general from Amazon, and routinely get Quaker State and Pennzoil 0W20 Full Syn for various Hondas and Acuras at $23 or below for five quarts. I think the idea that Prime member pay higher prices has been debunked, it's more that vendors who choose to sell at a prime price may not be the cheapest. For pedestrian oils, there really is no argument against Wal Mart or Amazon on price.

I was just about to post(before i read^^^) that your local autozone can deliver(they should have pick-up also) Valvoline European Vehicle 0W-20.

Approvals and Licenses: 508, 509, Porsche C20, API SN, SN+

Recommended Applications: ACEA C5, MB 229.71, BMW LL-17FE+, Volvo xxx blah blah, STJLRxxxx blah blah
Not really sure I am comfortable with "recommended applications"

This is an important aspect that needs repeated. Sometimes buying a high end luxury or sports car is one thing, but maintaining it is a entirely different animal. For example, people that picked up used Nissan GTR's when they were a little more affordable than they are now and were in complete shock at the cost of brakes, fluid changes, tires, and other maintenance. The maintenance on these cars is incredibly expensive.

PS, I am not putting the OP in this category. Just wanted to express the random thought on the subject.
Fair comment. I have known forever that BMW service can be very expensive.... but I have been able to keep my children fed, too.

On another planet it will.
There are a lot of bimmers that still run on 1993 suspension, which is year that Hellcat’s platform and suspension saw the light of the day in Mercedes E class.

Fair comment. I have known forever that BMW service can be very expensive.... but I have been able to keep my children fed, too.
Brakes on my BMW are cheaper than were on my Sienna, and they are far more effective, and don’t have vibration issues, and I tracked them.

Ignore the spec, and do a 5k OCI with a UOA. Someone did exactly that with a late model Mercedes with Fram oil and the UOA looked exceptionally good.

Back