Pre Winter Exterior detail with meguires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the weather gets too bad around here I figured I would wash and wax the exterior of the Buick before winter. So I picked up some Meguires Gold class wax the other day and I never used it before. I have tried Turtle Wax and Eagle one so I figured I would try something new. I wasn't impressed with the Eagle One wax and I was happy with the turtle wax when I used it. I love the shine that Gold Class gives my Buick.

I think I found my new favorite wax, my car has a very nice deep shine and feels very smooth. Its a 98 with low miles but a lot of its life was spent outside in the sun, the P/O took good mechanical care of it but cosmetical care it was just ok. I have waxed this car 3 times since I have owned it in the past year and I think that I am getting it to look pretty nice. I have to but some touch up paint to get some of the paint chips to go away. I tried the Dupli color 3 in 1 and matched it to my paint code but was very disappointed how the spots came out.

Of course I took some pics for you all to enjoy.....

Nice shot with my truck in the background....

The next thread I will start will be on the truck....Ive got some plans for her to fix the rust and do some minor tweaking to her make her look like new again!

Yeah, Meguiar's Gold Class liquid is probably my favorite too. But its durability was so poorly-rated by Consumer reports that I switched to NuFinish paste which was highly-rated. I haven't been very happy with how the NuFinish paste goes on, so I probably won't buy it again. Next on my list to try is Collinite 845 which a lot of folks have had good things to say about.

It won't last until Thanksgiving. I'd spend a little money and get a bottle of a durable sealant. I purchased some blackfire wet diamond in 2011 and I still have 1/2 of the bottle left. I typically wax my cars 2-3 times a year and use Lucas Slick mist after each wash.

Id use Nu Finish or Collinite 845 or 476 for durability. Gold class does look really nice though! Or you can use a sealant like Menzerna power lock. This year im gona try nufinish followed by collinite..few days inbetween applications..

I always liked gold class on that color gm paint.

But the durability aspect scares me a bit...

Looks great especially for a 1998. Just wash and spray wax/sealant once every 30 days to maintain that nice luster. Use Megs Gold Class soap with the Ultimate Spray wax/sealant.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks! I am hoping to get in at least one more hand wash before the weather comes too bad and I will use some pray wax to put an extra coat. Then usually throughout the winter I don't wash it much just natural snow/rain washes.

If you like the look of meg's GC wax but want more durability check out their Ultimate product line. I use Ultimate paste wax with excellent results. Comes is a liquid too which is black plastic friendly but I find it streaks during removal more. The Ultimate spray wax (same as D156) lasts a good long time for a spray wax, too.

For winter, I recommend (and put on my clients cars) a high end sealant before any wax or glaze. Basically, you want to wash, use a paint cleaner w buffer, wash again, and then if you need to polish (ie you see swirl marks) or clay, do that and follow with another wash otherwise move directly to the sealant. Some of them work best if you wait 24hrs before doing anything else, and many of them allow you to layer it unlike many/most waxes, again requiring time between coats.
Once you have finished with the sealant, you can use any wax or glaze to give you a bit extra protection and the "deep" wet look, as sealants have a very glossy and Shiney look, but it's much more 2 dimensional. The two together, however, are the only way to get true LONG TERM protection AND not compromise at all on aesthetics.

Just be sure to never ever use a cleaner wax over top. In fact, I would never recommend cleaner wax ever for anything, they're just a PITA and now days, most aren't even labeled as such!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back