PPE Aluminum Pan for my 2020 Ranger

Hey @meep 😁

Or as I like to refer to it. 'The $300 drain plug'. Really, that's all I wanted it for. Anyrate.

40,000 miles on the 10R80 and I decided to move my filter change up from the 60K I'd planned on just because I'd bought the pan and figured now was as good of a time as any. Not really anything too unusual to report. A little bit of fine schmoo on the magnets, a few tiny shiny flakes in the pan, everything came apart and went together like it should. Reused the pan gasket since it looked perfect and they're reuseable.

All-in-all, and easy project, on a Ranger. Some of the other 10R80 installs require removing a LOT more than I had to.

On to pictures.

Old and new. PPE really makes a nice part. Thick and sturdy for sure.

IMG_20230616_164728090_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230616_164732402_HDR.jpg

Inside of a 40,000 Mile 10R80 (Sans Filter), Clean, as I expected.

IMG_20230616_164219157.jpg

Bottom of the factory pan. Couple tiny sparkles and a little schmoo on the magnet.

IMG_20230616_164150345.jpg

I've alredy ripped the bottom off the factory filter. There's another magnet and you can see the two different filter materials. The smaller section is for better flow when cold, the darker section is supposed to be a finer filter.

IMG_20230616_182955670.jpg

Another view of the finer section.

IMG_20230616_182957891.jpg

Magnet inside of filter showing the clean spot I wiped away.

IMG_20230616_183027559_HDR.jpg

Top Side of the filter, showing lighter/cleaner filter material.

IMG_20230616_183614512.jpg

I cut a section of pleat out. The material is quite stong, and doesn't appear to be paper, but rather some gauze type material.

IMG_20230616_183607211_HDR.jpg

All done and refilled with Valvoline ULV/Mercon ULV (I ran out of Valvoline and it has priced itself out of my market, so I'll be using Motorcraft unless I find a deal)

IMG_20230616_174205656.jpg

I did send off an email to PPE as well. I'd drained and measured all of the fluid that drained out and put the same amount back in thinking the 'shallow' pan should have been the same. Its not:

"Yes our pan holds half a quart to 3/4 of a quart more fluid."

Wondered why my level was off.

Boy factory transmission filters have come a long way. Im used to the old school single layer felt filters. Some older toyotas even just run a mesh with no actual media.

Boy factory transmission filters have come a long way. Im used to the old school single layer felt filters. Some older toyotas even just run a mesh with no actual media.

I’m pretty sure that filter has a thermostatically controlled flap on the bottom to select between hot and cold flow modes.

We did a deep one on our '08 Ally primarily for the "filter lock" aspect. They're ribbed to physically support the filter from underneath.

Our OEM filter simply fell out one day. The truck wouldn't move on cold CO mornings, but once the day warmed it would perform normally. When I pulled the OEM pan the filter was just sitting there in the pan.

Granted, there are MUCH less expensive, standalone filter locks that are (or were) ~$30 rather than whatever PPE gets.

almost bought one for the Rubicon - but fortunately member CS warned me they won’t clear the cross-over pipe on the V6 models and the T4 has no cross-over …
installed my own “cooler” = header tape around the cross-over 😷

I’m pretty sure that filter has a thermostatically controlled flap on the bottom to select between hot and cold flow modes.
I think they ended up doing away with that at some point, this filter didn't have it. Don't know if the new one does or not. I'll find out in 60k.

Interstingly, there's now 2 part numbers for the 10R80 filters. FT202 and FT215. I think I got the 215, which RA lists as more expensive, but the 202 is listed as coming with the seal....

Good ol Ford doing Ford things.

1687022105483.jpg

Digging this back up.....regarding filters RA now only shows the FT202 and it now specifically says it does NOT include the seal AND it's now $53

Raybestos seems to have an offering at $19. Has anyone tried this?

Also I keep reading the plastic pan is supposed to be one-time use. Can it not be reused if my customer doesn't want to spring for PPE? The only pan RA shows is a Dorman plastic replacement.

Vehicle is '19 Ranger

Digging this back up.....regarding filters RA now only shows the FT202 and it now specifically says it does NOT include the seal AND it's now $53

Raybestos seems to have an offering at $19. Has anyone tried this?

Also I keep reading the plastic pan is supposed to be one-time use. Can it not be reused if my customer doesn't want to spring for PPE? The only pan RA shows is a Dorman plastic replacement.

Vehicle is '19 Ranger
Plenty of people use the pan over again. I see no reason it couldn't be.

I had to rush out the door before I finished my thought on the filter.

Looking through the hole in the bottom of the Raybestos, it LOOKS like they are using a decent filter material, but that's all I can tell.

The Motorcraft piece is pretty nice, I'm not sure if I would want to save the $30 or not. Since I only plan on doing my filter every 40-50k, I'd probably just pay the price for the MC one and be done with it.

Also, just go ahead and replace the seal. It is something like $3 at the dealer. Its not worth having any kind of question over.

Reactions: D60
We were discussing on the Ranger board, there is now a 10R80 Dorman pan with a drain plug:

To be quite honest, if the Dorman pan had been around before I bought my PPE, I would have probably given it a shot as easy as doing the pan on a Ranger is. @meep here's something for you to try out. :)

1707006406053.jpg

1707006497656.jpg

And an option from Mishimoto that can sometimes be found a bit cheaper than the PPE:

1707006427841.jpg

@ctechbob - I’m tracking. Mine has all this heat exchanger plumbing all around it which has me delaying until the filter really got to go. It looks like a mess to deal with the cooler. If I have this truck at 100k, that’s probably when it will happen.

I’m a little irritated. I did that 2nd drain/fill, at the same ratio of mixed fluids in there before, and the requisite adaptives relearn, and it’s being a pill. It slaps clumsy/stupid going into 5th. It’s figured out 3-4, but 3-5 the timing is not right. The adaptives seem to have figured out all of the other shifts.

I think these are probably hard on fluid. The stuff that came out at 65k was a bit darker than I thought it would be.

A coworker of mine just traded his gmc 1500 this week due to 10R80 TC failure. Only 118k miles, mostly highway. He never changed the fluid. Granted, it should have made it that far with his use, but as I read about things they find in broken fords and in this case metal shrapnel from the TC, I think they fluid is borderline for these units.

I really wish there was a cheap option with a drain plug for the 10r140. I’ll have to keep an eye out.

In web searching I'd find two different deep pans listed for a '19 Ranger.

I reached out directly to PPE and a Mr Charles Lara says:
"328053600 will fit 2017-2024 10R80/10R60, 328053100 will only fit 2017-2020 10R80. There was a small internal change in 2020"

Back