PP Euro L 5W30 VOA

Hello @himemsys
It appears I have some confusion. The title states Pennzoil Platinum Euro L but the Shell live docs page shows Pennzoil Euro L (Not Platinum). Could you let me know which one it is that you tested? I can't find Platinum Euro anywhere except in 1 qt bottles (expensive) but Pennzoil Euro L can be found at my local WM in 5 qt jugs.
I believe this stems from Pennzoil's confusing naming scheme. All of their Euro oils are in the category "Platinum Euro", but the specific "Euro L" oil does not use the word "Platinum". 🤷‍♂️

Hello @himemsys
It appears I have some confusion. The title states Pennzoil Platinum Euro L but the Shell live docs page shows Pennzoil Euro L (Not Platinum). Could you let me know which one it is that you tested? I can't find Platinum Euro anywhere except in 1 qt bottles (expensive) but Pennzoil Euro L can be found at my local WM in 5 qt jugs.

They are one and the same. Pennzoil Euro L is in the Platinum lineup.

I believe this stems from Pennzoil's confusing naming scheme. All of their Euro oils are in the category "Platinum Euro", but the specific "Euro L" oil does not use the word "Platinum". 🤷‍♂️
Yes, that's what I see & that's why I ask which one was tested here b/c they are using different base oils. I see you have three Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w-30's listed in your VOA Data Base but this one is slightly different from the other two based on it's add pack.
They are one and the same. Pennzoil Euro L is in the Platinum lineup.
Nope, Platinum is "GTL, PurePlus, or Natural Gas" base oils. The Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 (Non Platinum) does not use GTL. There is no marker anywhere on Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 that says it is. That is what separates this one from the Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w-30.

But then again they are free to mix and interchange base stocks within the confines of API Annex E without any “marker” or retesting. GTL base stocks are like any other Group III base stock, they aren’t unique in terms of how the Groups are defined. In fact Annex E specifically excludes the production method as a criteria.

Just because one sub-brand used it yesterday doesn’t mean they do today, or that they will or won’t tomorrow. Pennzoil yellow bottle had no “marker” when it was used in that product at one time.

PP Euro L is likely GTL, but does it matter? Not to me. It’s got good approvals, is a fairly thick 30wt, and will serve well in any engine that requires the certifications it carries
Possibly avoid in engines susceptible to LSPI? For those going off the reservation (ignoring approvals) with it?

The Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 (Non Platinum) does not use GTL. There is no marker anywhere on Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 that says it is. That is what separates this one from the Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w-30.
I don't think there's such as thing as Platinum Euro L. There is a Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W30 (no 'L') and a Pennzoil Euro L 5W30.
Euro vs Euro L.jpg

I went into the VOA database and removed the word "Platinum" from the three Euro L VOAs.

I believe the difference you're seeing between the most recent and the two older entries in the database are either margin of error, or slight formulation differences from 5 years ago vs today.

Last edited:
I don't think there's such as thing as Platinum Euro L. There is a Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W30 (no 'L') and a Pennzoil Euro L 5W30.
View attachment 210977

I went into the VOA database and removed the word "Platinum" from the three Euro L VOAs.

I believe the difference you're seeing between the most recent and the two older entries in the database are either margin of error, or slight formulation differences from 5 years ago vs today.
Your right! You mention more evidence of its differences & the Platinum Euro does not have the "L" name on it (My mistake). As for the add pack It could be a running change, like you mention, for the differences & or to meet a different OEM spec. These probably were the Euro L's since it's near impossible to find Platinum Euro outside of 1 qt bottles. Thanks!

Since it carries Euro certs that are equal/higher than the API certs it carries, and supposedly Euro cars have had LSPI mitigation in place before then, I’d personally have zero issue using it regardless. But that’s me.
I try not to lug an engine down under high load, so maybe it doesn't apply to me. Can't ignore the high Ca overbase detergent with no Mg in this sample.

Now I am back in a AT slush box, the FORD tranny programming just loves to run at 1300 to 1600 rpm in a 3500 lb suv in 4th or 6th gear with a 4 banger and 12.5 to one compression running 87 octane go-juice.

I don't hear ping, but man it covers it up with fuel dump. Results in pitiful fuel milage out of a conservatively driven Mazda Ford 2 litre.

I try not to lug an engine down under high load, so maybe it doesn't apply to me. Can't ignore the high Ca overbase detergent with no Mg in this sample.

Now I am back in a AT slush box, the FORD tranny programming just loves to run at 1300 to 1600 rpm in a 3500 lb suv in 4th or 6th gear with a 4 banger and 12.5 to one compression running 87 octane go-juice.

I don't hear ping, but man it covers it up with fuel dump. Results in pitiful fuel milage out of a conservatively driven Mazda Ford 2 litre.
Ca is not high, nothing high about this oil.
It is C3, mid SAPS and mid additive package

Back