Russian Oil Club VOA General question: Total 5w30 Ineo MC3

cptbarkey

$50 site donor 2024
I recently found this VOA for an oil that I have a small amount of on the Russian oil-club.ru forums.

I poured over this thread and another, Total actually has/had a bottling plant in Russia. The forum members seem to be a very serious community of people. My question is, what are the chances in general that Russian VOAs are similar if not exact to what a US person would experience for the same oil? Asking this question in another way, since its labeled with the same certifications, is that a safe assumption? I am considering getting a VOA myself but have not yet pulled the trigger.

Here is the first page for reference already translated.

"The oil is declared as: ACEA C3; API SN/CF; MERCEDES-BENZ MB MB 229.52; (backwards compatible with MB-Approval 229.51 and MB-Approval 229.31); BMW LL-04; VOLKSWAGEN 505.01; GM Dexos2.
1) Oil meets SAE 30 standard
2) Viscosity at 100C = 12.30 cSt - within the average statistical values for SAE 30 A3 / C3 oils (11.5-12.5 cSt), which provides HTHS of at least 3.5 mPas
3) Base number = 6.73 - slightly lower than the usual 7.5-8.5 for similar oils, but given that the TBN measurement method allows for fluctuations in the result (we have seen this more than once in the analyzes), we can say with confidence that this product has sufficient reserve of detergent-neutralizing properties
4) Acid number = 1.55 - low: there is room for growth
5) Sulfate ash content = 0.73% - excellent result: standard C3 ( 6) Pour point = -39С - normal result for 5W-30 oil
7) Flash point in o.t. \u003d 245С - an excellent result, which indicates excellent thermal stability of the oil at high t
8) Sulfur content = 0.187 - very low: this indicates that we have a modern additive package based on Calcium and Magnesium salicylates and pure base oils
9) Anti-wear additives ZDDP - based on Zinc-Phosphorus pair. Calcium and Magnesium salicylates as a detergent-neutralizing additive + ashless dispersant in the form of boron succinimide
10) Oxidation = 13 - indicates the presence of an ester (ester) additive, which performs a predominantly antioxidant function (found in almost all MB229.52 products).

Conclusion: we have before us an example of an excellent oil from the world's leading manufacturer, which is distinguished by a rich package of additives, while being a medium-ash product. Suitable for gasoline and diesel engines that require the specified specifications. At the same time, this product has advantages over analogues: a more effective washing package for Ca-Mg + enhanced antioxidant properties due to the ester additive and, possibly, a small amount of PAO in the composition. (Described Dimmy )

The Fourier IR spectrum indicates that the oil is based on VHVI hydrocracking ."

192526679_TotalQuartzIneoMC35W-30(VOABASE).jpg.062fdcbac5dff51dd7ab52e88e515e73.jpg

405294254_TotalQuartzIneoMC35W-30URC.jpg.db7121d163e3bd83292c9860f253ba18.jpg

"The oil is declared as: ACEA C3; API SN/CF; MERCEDES-BENZ MB MB 229.52; (backwards compatible with MB-Approval 229.51 and MB-Approval 229.31); BMW LL-04; VOLKSWAGEN 505.01; GM Dexos2.

For the record, QUARTZ INEO MC3 5W-30 doesn't come with any VW approval.

MB-Freigabe 229.52
BMW LL-04
OPEL/VAUXHALL OV 040 1547 - G30
OPEL/VAUXHALL OV 040 1547 - D30
Kia, Hyundai (Diesel from 2006 on)

VW 505 01 is just a recommendation by Total. VW 505 01 is stale anyway, replaced by VW 507 00. Total offers QUARTZ INEO LONG LIFE 0W-30 and QUARTZ INEO LONG LIFE 5W-30 for VW 504 00 and 507 00 applications incl. Porsche C30, BMW LL-04 and MB 229.51 with actual approvals.

Total's QUARTZ INEO range are solid choices, supported by that VOA, but I won't expect something special.

The American based brands are generally the same globally. Not sure about the European brands. I have found most of the VOAs on the Russian Club to be very good and thorough. That guy Torcon does a good job.

I was once told that for Castrol products, the additive package and base oil blend may vary by region due to different suppliers. Would be interested to see what the Castrol guys have to say about that.

Cool story, but the certifications will tell you more about an oil’s performance than a VOA/UOA ever will.

Case in point: Mobil 1 VOAs have become “quite anemic” according to those who think VOA is a valid tool to assess the quality of an oil (it is not), yet that same oil is now passing tests and achieving higher certifications than its predecessors ever could.

MolaKule shared with us before that you have to get into the $700+ testing range before you get a test that can tell you anything about an oil’s performance in use. Certifications tell you what an oil can or can’t do.

Most well known oils will be same spec production, but probably any Asia or Arabia zone could be different (local production, import restriction or specific product characteristic).

Example, there are regular additive package imports from Italy to USA to produce any oils (10-20% product) but base oil (80-90% product) can be local ¿Is oil for EU and USA the same oil? It's same spec, but identical or compatible depend on base oil and additive producer. Usually you'll get compatible base oils and same additive package.

The American based brands are generally the same globally. Not sure about the European brands. I have found most of the VOAs on the Russian Club to be very good and thorough. That guy Torcon does a good job.

I was once told that for Castrol products, the additive package and base oil blend may vary by region due to different suppliers. Would be interested to see what the Castrol guys have to say about that.
Thank you!!!

Back