PP Euro L 5W30 VOA

Taken from a freshly shaken, then opened 5qt jug. Jug is dated October 2021, so it was on the shelf a year before I bought it. Viscosity is spec'd at 12.5 so this actually came in a little thin at 11.92.
Nice approvals:
General Motors dexos2™ (license GB2E1104014)
MB-Approval 229.31/229.51
BMW LL-04
rest of PDS:
PPEuroL5W30.jpg

That looks rather underwhelming. It's unlikely there's any group V in it. It carries BMW LL-04 and VW 502/505 approvals which don't allow for group V interchange with the approved add packs out there.

That looks rather underwhelming. It's unlikely there's any group V in it. It carries BMW LL-04 and VW 502/505 approvals which don't allow for group V interchange with the approved add packs out there.
Approvals allow or designate interchange? I’ve never heard of that before.

Approvals allow or designate interchange? I’ve never heard of that before.

With many approvals, the additive package that is tested and approved must use the same base oils (complete formula) used for the testing. If the approved add pack is tested with group III base oils, (as many are for cost reasons) particularly those for common shelf market, no group IV or V base oil can be used with that add pack and carry the approval. Even though we know it would be a superior oil if it did, it's not the same formula as the testing and thus can't be done. Any deviation from the formula, even for the better, voids the approval. It forces every oil that uses that add pack and carries the approval into a small box with little room for improvement, much less incentive for improvement. There are some add packs that do expand outside of that, but they're less common.

BMW LL-04 requires a ≥3.5 HTHS with a 5W-30 which is easier to achieve with a group III base oil anyway.

HTHS MOFT

The real question one should ask, what is so wrong with your oil formula that you need a ton of moly to pass the spec's?
What data are you using to claim that moly helps any oil pass any spec? Looking at UOAs there seem to be no reduction in “wear metals” in high moly oils, but plenty of people say they notice their engines are quieter with high moly oils. Sure, there’s proof that moly reduces friction, but it also seems to “dampen” certain sounds. I would say, based on the data, there’s no statistical difference in wear based on moly alone (understanding that UOAs are not a valid test for wear).

Last I checked, no oil specifies either lower friction or quieter operation, so why do you think moly will help an oil pass anything?

What data are you using to claim that moly helps any oil pass any spec? Looking at UOAs there seem to be no reduction in “wear metals” in high moly oils, but plenty of people say they notice their engines are quieter with high moly oils. Sure, there’s proof that moly reduces friction, but it also seems to “dampen” certain sounds. I would say, based on the data, there’s no statistical difference in wear based on moly alone (understanding that UOAs are not a valid test for wear).

Last I checked, no oil specifies either lower friction or quieter operation, so why do you think moly will help an oil pass anything?

I never got the love affair with moly. I don’t mind a oil that has boron and or sodium in it. MS5K still uses sodium, but we don’t talk about that here😱🙊

I didn't claim any data so don't put words in my mouth. That is for anyone who is addicted to moly... like the Asian blended high moly oil crowd here for many years. And, you stated that UOA shouldn't be used for "wear assessment". So, looking at UOAs means nothing concerning moly, right? So, why even bother mentioning UOAs?

I just haven't seen the onslaught of SP/GF6 moly-free oils. And, there seems to more than just fuel economy from the mega-moly Asian blenders with their Adeka addiction. So, many the oil formulators with SP/GF6 approved oils can explain why they need it. Specially one should wonder, it if were removed, what requirements of that given oil would fail? Obviously, unless you're formulating oils or additives, running the tests to approve an oil/additive, your answer means nothing to me.

I'll just believe in Adeka.

And again, my original question hasn't been answered by anyone meaningful yet.

Hello @himemsys
It appears I have some confusion. The title states Pennzoil Platinum Euro L but the Shell live docs page shows Pennzoil Euro L (Not Platinum). Could you let me know which one it is that you tested? I can't find Platinum Euro anywhere except in 1 qt bottles (expensive) but Pennzoil Euro L can be found at my local WM in 5 qt jugs.

Back