PP 5w-30 / 4,920 miles / '06 Camry 2.4L 2AZ-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
6-month OCI (from May 16 to November 12, 2008).
Toyota OEM air and oil filters (Denso 90915-YZZF1).
19,620 total car miles.

This was my second consecutive fill with PP 5w-30 (API SM & GF-4). Had previously used Mobil 1 and Valvoline Conventional.
Always gentle driving on roads in Columbia, Missouri and St. Louis.

Special Notes: The first 3,200 miles of this approximate 5,000-mile OCI was exclusive city driving with most trips averaging between 15 miles and 30 miles (all city, again). The next 1,700 miles of this OCI was a 50/50 mix of city and highway.

On the actual day of the oil change, just before changing the oil, I drove the car about 30 miles on the highway, then let it idle 15 minutes while I brought out the ramps and other equipment.

Although my manual calls for 4 quarts of oil when changing the oil filter, I always put in 4.25 quarts.

This is Toyota's 2.4L 2AZ-FE engine, an inline 4 cylinder.

Blackstone-Labs results:

Miles on oil: 4,920
Miles on engine: 19,610
Sample date: 11/12/2008 ; Report date: 11/24/2008
Makeup oil added: 0

[First number = my sample's results] / [Second number = Universal Averages for this engine]

Aluminum 3 , 3
Chromium 0 , 0
Iron 7 , 10

Copper 1 , 2
Lead 3 , 2
Tin 0 , 1

Molybdenum 53 , 90
Nickel 0 , 0
Manganese 0 , 0

Silver 0 , 0
Titanium 0 , 0

---------
Potassium 2 , 1
Boron 28 , 39
Silicon 17 , 17
Sodium 4 , 14
---------

Calcium 2795 , 2347
Magnesium 15 , 121
Phosphorous 714 , 719
Zinc 860 , 853
Barium 1 , 0

MY RESULTS // VALUES SHOULD BE

SUS Viscosity @ 210* F 59.3 // 56 - 63
cSt Viscosity @ 100* C 10.03 // 9.1 - 11.3
Flashpoint in * F 400 // > 365

Fuel % < 0.5 // < 2.0
Antifreeze % 0.0 // 0.0
Water % 0.0 // < 0.1
Insolubles % 0.2 // < 0.6

TBN 4.7
TAN 0.9

Built_Well's Note: The TAN and the TBN readings cost an extra $10 each, and you gotta request them at Blackstone if you want them. I forgot to request the TAN, but I emailed them a day after receiving my results, and they pulled my oil sample and ran the TAN. I was happy that they didn't immediately throw away my oil sample after running the standard tests the day before. I don't know how long they keep the oil samples, though.

Anyway, I wanted a TAN (acid) reading just for fun to compare it to RLI's Bio-Syn reading when I send the Bio-Syn 0w-30 to Blackstone in 6 months. The results above for the used Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 oil happened during moderate temperatures and weather from May to November (mostly Summer and Fall). I think it'll be interesting to compare the nice weather PP results to the harsh weather Bio-Syn results (Winter).

Last edited:
I think the numbers that Blackstone provides for the "Universal Averages" for the Toyota aluminum 2AZ-FE engine are from many oil samples tested with an average distance of 4,600 miles for the many samples.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Wasting $$$ using this oil for only 5,000 mile oil change intervals.

You gotta do 6-month OCIs if you wanna keep Toyota's powertrain warranty in effect...

Originally Posted By: Built_Well
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Wasting $$$ using this oil for only 5,000 mile oil change intervals.

You gotta do 6-month OCIs if you wanna keep Toyota's powertrain warranty in effect...

Your TBN is HUGE for a 4 quart sump at 5K. PP only starts at 9 or so. That's a 10K+ oil.

If you're sticking to 5k/6mo changes, then don't waste your money on synthetic. You could close your eyes and grab any dino on the shelf that would give you good UOAs at these intervals in this application.

True, I suppose, but I only trust synthethic. That way, if, for example, I put 6,000 miles on the car in 6 months, instead of the warranty's maximum 5,000 miles, I don't have to worry with synth.

Or say I wait an extra month and do an oil change at 7 months instead of the warranty's required 6 months, I know the oil can handle it. (I did wait 7 months once--shh, don't tell Toyota.

ARE RLI's 20 and 30-weight oils ACTUALLY API/ILSAC-certified? I know they probably easily 'exceed' the requirements, but have they actually passed the testing?

If not, your worry about the warranty is moot - you've already broken the requirements!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
ARE RLI's 20 and 30-weight oils ACTUALLY API/ILSAC-certified? I know they probably easily 'exceed' the requirements, but have they actually passed the testing?

If not, your worry about the warranty is moot - you've already broken the requirements!

Well, that's very true, too, but Toyota doesn't know that {wink}

And if they ever ask, I have a receipt dated November, 2008 for some cheap conventional oil I bought from Walmart {chuckle}
55.gif

Also, if you believe Amsoil, U.S. law doesn't allow a car manufacturer to disqualify an oil for not being licensed by API if the oil meets or exceeds API specs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Built_Well
Also, if you believe Amsoil, U.S. law doesn't allow a car manufacturer to disqualify an oil for not being licensed by API if the oil meets or exceeds API specs.

I don't have unlimited fees for litigation in court to prove my stance, unlike a major auto manufacturer. Even thought I might be right, I still have to go before a judge to proove it. The burden of proof is on the consumer. That's why my warranty vehicles won't ever seem Amsoil. People are dilusional if they think a manufacturere wouldn't use something like RLI or Amsoil as a reson to deny warranty coverage. They are DESPERATE to get out from under any warranty claim they have to. Then it becomes your responsibility to retain legal counsel to fight. With your own money. All while you car is broken. No thanks.

Whatever works for ya. I'm having fun trying different oils, though.

I hope you two don't have a cultish devotion to API licensing. Nothing wrong with being devoted to something, as long as it's not cultish {smile}

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to stir up a big fuss about using API-certified oils....I'm honestly curious if RLI are actually API/ILSAC certified oils. Not just 'exceeds' the requirements, have they actually passed the testing?

Anyone know?

Found my answer:

"This High Performance Lubricant is formulated using the most advanced and newest API SM approved additives.
While no formal engine oil license performance is implied or guaranteed in this formulation, the key physical
properties as defined by SAE J300 are met. This biobased formulation is inherently biodegradable and is designed to
reduce emissions over conventional formulas."

On the 0W-30 PDS, FYI.

great report! And during breakin to boot.

Keep your receipts for the cheap dino and no litigation required. Just throw the receipts at em
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back