PP 10w30 SN+ or previous formula. Cadillac CTS-V 6.2 LSA Supercharged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting for my own curiosity about what I would guess are almost insignificant differences. I bought eleven 5qt jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 when Advance Auto had them priced at $3.85. Some are the new API SN Plus rated formula, others are the previous. All are in the new yellow jugs.

Any reason to pick one version or the other for my Cadillac CTS-V with the supercharged Chevy pushrod LSA engine? The car is only lightly modded but the boost will be increasing shortly. I read this SN + formula is supposed to prevent damage from low RPM detonation? How does it do that? Detonation will be more of a threat going forward, a more aggressive tune is sensitive to lower quality fuel, elevation changes etc.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
I read this SN + formula is supposed to prevent damage from low RPM detonation? How does it do that?

it MAY affect you ........ it may NOT affect you.

the new formulation has reduced calcium, which evidence shows has a tendency to induce LSPI (Low Speed Pre-Ignition) in small, turbo'd, "direct injection" cars.

..........destructive enough to destroy/shatter hypereutectic pistons.

I also picked up some of these at AA for $3.85....some are SN...some are SN+. I don't think it matters which you use in your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back