Formula Shell SN 10w30 9700KM 1993 Toyota Tercel

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time doing a UOA. 1993 Toyota Tercel at 295,143 KM. I rebuilt the motor at 190,000km due to neglect by the previous owner, so it has a bit over 100,000KM on rebuild. I have used Formula Shell exclusively since that time, with at least the last 5 changes being with the SN variety. I did 5000KM changes for years but have recently extended it and finally got up to around 10,000km this time(about 6200 miles). Around 9 months on this change.

I drive reasonably but sometimes with a bit of aggression. Probably about 50/50 city and highway driving.

I used a Napa Proselect filter on this change and have done so for a number of changes. I used to use the Gold but the old Tercel seems to get less and less TLC nowadays.

Blackstone comments:

A few things were out of line here, but only silicon is worth talking about at length. It might show a
dirty air filter, so we suggest inspecting that system closely. If it is dirt, then that could explain the mildly high
levels of wear. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 10,000 km
use on the oil. Not all engines wear exactly like our averages show, so if silicon isn't from abrasive dirt,
these readings may just be normal. The trace of fuel isn't a concern, but the TBN was fairly low at 0.2, so
not much active additive was left

Code:

Oil FS 10w30 SN

KM In use 9.7K

KM 295,143

Sample Taken 08/09/2012 AVG

Aluminum 5 3

Chromium 2 0

Iron 19 9

Copper 6 2

Lead 7 1

Tin 3 1

Molybdenum 81 81

Nickel 1 0

Manganese 1 0

Silver 0 0

Titanium 0 1

Potassium 0 3

Boron 37 41

Silicon 64 15

Sodium 14 26

Calcium 2590 2422

Magnesium 10 91

Phosphorus 820 842

Zinc 1029 855

Barium 0 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210 63.3 59-65

cST Viscosity @ 100 11.13 9.9-11.9

Flashpoint 375 >375

Fuel Trace
Antifreeze 0 0

Water 0
Insolubles 0.4
TBN 0.2 >1.0

Clearly the oil was spent. I'll probably try 8,000km this time and see what happens. I had a good look at the air intake and, sure enough, the back side has a hole where there should be some sort of grommet or plug. I'll try to patch that up asap and hopefully it will lower the silicon reading. Whether or not that accounts for the higher iron readings I can't be sure but I'll probably do another UOA or two to see how things go. It doesn't make financial sense on an old Tercel but I'd like to do it to satisfy my curiosity.

Doesn't that zinc look a little high for an SN oil, or is 10w-30 a non resource conserving oil so that doesn't apply? TBN is very low for those miles and the CA number looks high as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falken
Wow, could pass for a Mobil 1 UOA.

You can safely say you used that oil to it's max. I don't think it looks half bad.Wear metals are even close to being out of this world. Patch the hole and it will be better next time. As for Mobil 1 UOA, the TBN would have been much higher. I suppose some miracle oils out there, not naming, would have done much better with abrasive dirt getting into the cars valve train.

Last edited:
Clearly spent but I think the iron was reading high because of the abrasives getting through the air intake. I would use 5w30, no need for 10w30 in that engine. I do agree with Volk06 about the zinc looking higher for an SN oil, but it really can't do harm in that 'ol Tercel. Besides TBN, not bad wear for all that Si!

Thanks!

I have a stash of the 10w30 left from Costco but will be switching to 5w30 eventually when that runs out.
To be honest, with a Tercel of this age I could probably continue to experience this sort of wear and it wouldn't bother me at all (not that I won't try to patch it up)

When I'm finally ready to get rid of it I have an urge to try to run it with gear oil or olive oil or something like that to see how far it'll go.

Sedin, Olive Oil would coke up the oil control rings bad and the varnish would just slow the pistons down until it overheats.

Gear oil, on the other hand, you may just keep going and going until you are completely fed up of the car.

What was funny was at school we dropped the oil on an old Corolla and someone had filled up the crankcase with ATF!!! The color looked dark, but when you put a finger in it it was dark cherry red! And no signs of damage after 8000 km!

Run olive oil when you want to blow the motor... That would be fun!

Thanks for posting. Ill have shell syn 5-20 from the Accord analyzed in a few months. Plan to put 7000 mi on the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back