Post Your Latest Coolant Change.

I believe after replaxing the factory fill Dex Cool is only 3 years. Better double check. Something to do with introucing air into the system I heard.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
2005 Acura MDX
....There is the obvious radiator drain and Honda also provides an easy-to-use engine block drain....

Not sure where it/they are on 07 Accord 3.0L...

It should be in the same location as what's on the 3.5L. You can access it by driving the car up on ramps. It's on the back side of the block probably 2-3" above the oil pan seal and 2-3" back from the front cover. Right in the general area above the inner CV joint. You can reach it with your right arm. It takes a 12mm wrench and mine was easy to break free. Slide an appropriate length of 1/4" rubber hose over the drain outlet (to reach your pan), open the drain about half a turn, and walk away. Wait about 30 minutes for the rear half of the cooling system to drain. Couldn't be easier really.

I kind of changed my coolant two weeks ago. I replaced the upper radiator hose, because I decided it was probably time to replace it. I was able to fill it back up with 1 & 1/2 jugs of coolant. So, it was pretty much a coolant change. I would have replaced all of the hoses but the upper radiator is exposed to the most heat. I thought about draining the engine block and radiator but the coolant was very clean, so I didn't think it was necessary.

The coolant went everywhere though, but it wasn't a big deal since I had it up on a rack at my uncle's shop. I had to let the car run for a while till the smoke subsided.

Last edited:
Just did a flush on wife's 08 Mazda 3i 2.0 at 104k miles with PGL and distilled water(8 gallons). I assumed I had the factory fill long life Mazda stuff in there but was wrong. I was due at 60k. Looked reasonably good for that long over due though.

There isn't a block drain that I could find so I jacked the car up, cracked open the radiator drained the car will running and adding tap water until clear, then smae process with 7gallons of tap water, drained and put in 1 gallon of PGL.

Should have gone with the Final Charge I was gonna go with. Red would have looked much better than that PGL gold color.:)

2000 Saturn SL2 with 36,987 miles.

Out: 12 years on the original Dex-cool.

Flushed, replaced original Thermostat with a Stant 14279. That helped - now it runs at a higher, more normal operation temp.

In: Filled with green anti-freeze mix.

These are some recent ones over the last few months...

1998 Ford Mustang GT
2001 Ford Mustang GT
2001 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750DC
2002 Dodge Ram
2003 Chevrolet S10
2004 Chevrolet Blazer 4X4
2005 Dodge Caliper

OUT...
In all of them, John Deere Cool Gard or OEM coolant.

PROCEDURE...
Removed radiator cap and/or over flow tank cap.

Removed lower radiator hose from radiator to drain.

Installed Prestone Flush 'N Fill Kit back flushing tee on heater core inlet hose.

Back flushed with good quality city water in garden hose for 15 minutes or so with thermostat out and engine running with heater on HIGH and HOT until clean and clear water came out.

Drained city water.

Reinstalled thermostat.

Filled with distilled water and Prestone Radiator Cleaner.

Ran for 15 minutes.

Drained and back flushed with thermostat removed again until all cleaner suds disappeared and water was clear and clean.

Reinstalled thermostat.

Filled with distilled water and ran engine for 15 minutes or so about 4-5 times to get all remaining city water and cleaner out.

Cleaned out over flow tanks and rinsed with distilled water.

IN...
Walmart Super Tech Antifreeze/Coolant

Originally Posted By: 3311
Just did a flush on wife's 08 Mazda 3i 2.0 at 104k miles with PGL and distilled water(8 gallons). I assumed I had the factory fill long life Mazda stuff in there but was wrong. I was due at 60k. Looked reasonably good for that long over due though.

There isn't a block drain that I could find so I jacked the car up, cracked open the radiator drained the car will running and adding tap water until clear, then smae process with 7gallons of tap water, drained and put in 1 gallon of PGL.

Should have gone with the Final Charge I was gonna go with. Red would have looked much better than that PGL gold color.:)

Edit: I actually used distilled not tap for the 7 gallon drain and fill/flush.

1997 Tacoma SR5 w/ 3.4L

Did a timing belt and other stuff, which had me dumping the cooland. Refilled with Zerex Asian Vehicle 50/50.

robert

2005 Ford F150 4.6, 109,000 miles
Out: Motorcraft Premium Gold
In: Zerex G-05

Also did a prestone super flush and rinsed 2x with distilled water before adding coolant.

In the last twelve months, and after the usual servicing/cleaning/flushing.

Nissan Patrol GU/Y61, TD42T engine.

Out, Caltex (Texaco) ELC (Dexcool for those in NA)

In, Cummins/Fleetguard PG Platinum HD coolant.

Land Rover Defender, 300Tdi.

Out, Caltex ELC.

In, Cummins PG Platinum.

Soon;

Fiat 550 tractor.

Current coolant, Prestone conventional.
Soon to be superseded by, surprise, surprise, Cummins PG Platinum.

2007 Mazda 3i 2.0l
92,000 miles

Flushed out original green coolant with 6 fill/refills of 1 gal distilled water. Took about 2-3 hours.

Filled with Peak Extended Life 5 year/150,000 All Makes (oh the nooooooes, DEXCLONE!). Coolant is neon yellow and looks a heck of a lot better than the dirty nasty original green.

2005 Chevy Equinox 89k

Out - Dealer Dexcool (dreaded dexcool head gasket repair under GM extended warranty)

Flushed 3x. 1st time with Distilled and Cascade power (mixed together hot, not boiling) 2nd and 3rd time with pure distilled

In - Peak Global at 50/50

New (hopefully improved) gaskets and a good coolant makes me happy
grin.gif

Did my CV about a month ago.
Just drained and filled the radiator. I already flushed it in early '09.
Out - Zerex G-05 used 3 years, 30k miles.
In - Zerex G-05.
Also changed the thermostat.

1977 Riviera 93k, newest coolant could be is from 1997. Refilled after a few fill & flushes of water with ST green stuff and replaced the hoses.

On my 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5s with a grand total of 29,385 miles:

Drained and refilled the radiator only with 50/50 distilled water and Nissan brand coolant. And the same with the over flow tank.

Dad's 2007 Pontiac G6:

Out: Some kind of Dex-cool, I forgot which manufacturer. I last changed it in 2009.

In: Prestone Dex-Cool.

I just drained and filled because I never let the coolant get old enough to leave garbage stuck to the inside of the cooling system.

08 Honda Odyssey 40K mi.
Out: OEM blue
Flush: 15-20 gallons pure H20
In: conv. green (O Reilly's brand)

2000 Toyota Avalon 180K mi.
Out: conv. green (2 yrs old)
In: conv. green

Originally Posted By: KeithG

08 Honda Odyssey 40K mi.
Out: OEM blue
Flush: 15-20 gallons pure H20
In: conv. green (O Reilly's brand)

2000 Toyota Avalon 180K mi.
Out: conv. green (2 yrs old)
In: conv. green

I wouldn't recommend using conventional green in a Honda, because it can quickly wear out the water pump.

Peak 50/50 Long Life in a 2008 Nissan Versa.

Performed the flush and fill per the Peak website
1. Drain
2. Fill with water
3. Drain
4. Fill with Peak 50/50

Saved $130 compared to dealer cost.
smile.gif

Back