Possible overfill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check it immediately after a trip. If you see bubbles on the dipstick, then you know its so high its getting churned by the crankshaft. If no bubbles, it is fine. My guess is it is not enough overfill to be a problem at all. No bubbles, fine.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Don't worry be happy
smile.gif

ditto that - no problem

Originally Posted By: EMT_760
Originally Posted By: The Critic
This has been a common “problem” with some of the newer Toyota engines - 3.5, the new 1.8, etc. The published oil capacity is usually too much. I have found that 1/4 qt less than the published amount is usually perfect. Keep in mind that the oil level will rise a bit once the engine is warm, so your goal is to have the oil level read max (and no higher) when checked on a hot engine.

yes this is the 3.5. So do you think I should drain a bit? I can't imagine it being that much. I put in 6.2 quarts. Maybe there was some residual hiding in the transmission cooler line?

Having that much in extra should not cause any foaming or any harm correct?

Yes some "residual" oil remains so if you keep adding 6.2 quarts with each oil change and you are only drsining 6.0 quarts because 0.2 remains as "residual" then you can see you are creating an overfill condition more and more.

You can measure exactly how much oil you remove and then add an equal amount at similar temperature or use the more common practice...Ause the dipstick since it is designed to prevent this overfill from occuring.

Stay within the hatchmarks of the dipstock and there is no need to fill to the top MAX mark. The engine is designed to function anywhere between MIN and MAX. There is no wrong answer if you remain between the two.

Is it worth drainng some out now? Probably not.
Is it a good practice to always run above MAX? Probably not.

4x4 (should) have a deep pan, baffles and proper windage control for all attitude driving. Where do you think the oil is piling up when climbing a 30% incline? Or down same?

If it was a 1/2 qt or more I might take some out. Not here.

Back in the '90's My wife had a quick oil change place change her oil once - but they didn't take out the old oil. Now that caused a problem! When I got to my BIL I drained 4 qts and got near the full mark on a 2.2L Impreza.

We NEVER go to a quick oil change place anymore.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Not an issue unless you start seeing foaming taking place on the dipstick.

Great idea. Wait until signs that damage may be occurring to the engine and then do something about it. Just another example of why I do not buy used cars.

Originally Posted By: dparm
It's pretty easy to remove some excess oil. A small hand-pump and tubing down the dipstick tube are what you need -- takes all of a new minutes.

Not on all cars. The way the baffles are set up in the oil pans, I cannot do so on either of my hemi's. The pump tube will only get down far enough to remove a very small amount of oil. Can't do it on the BMW either. No dip stick.

Last edited:
I took a 60cc syringe and plastic tubing and drained 3 OZ. I didn't see any major bubbles on the dipstick prior. I did see tiny almost invisible dots. Hard to say if they were bubbles or specs of dust.

Perhaps paranoid. Better to drain 3 oz than worry about foamimg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back