Pop up advertisements That really slowed this site

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I always find weird and hilarious (at the same time) is what the ads try to sell me.

Take this screenshot for an eBay ad (on the left margin), for instance.

The top picture is a LubriFiner oil filter, which is an item that I have ACTUALLY searched on ebay recently.

I have no idea why the other three "suggestions" below the oil filter came up.

They have some REALLY WEIRD search algorithms.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Or you have a really interesting browsing history.
wink.gif

I'm not getting any pop up advertisements at all. I'm using Safari 11.0.1. Maybe it has a built in pop up blocker; I don't know.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: Linctex

Or you have a really interesting browsing history.
wink.gif

No..... actually, that really is not it.

Widening of "Recent Topics" on left with ad no longer there. A good thing as it was narrowing of main posting area. That's what I noticed most this AM. Normal recent topic and posting area size one second, then suddenly widened topic area next and ads on side, top and between some posts. Some ads at top, bottom and left side now but doesn't seem to be interfering with performance or board view.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
We are trying some ads with FirstImpression. The ad above Recent Topics and the ad between the third and fourth post in a thread are annoying and I've turned them off.

If BITOG continues to load slow PLEASE LET ME KNOW. We will not tolerate slowness.

Wayne

Wayne,

How do i go about making a donation to the site?

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: wwillson
We are trying some ads with FirstImpression. The ad above Recent Topics and the ad between the third and fourth post in a thread are annoying and I've turned them off.

If BITOG continues to load slow PLEASE LET ME KNOW. We will not tolerate slowness.

Wayne

Wayne,

How do i go about making a donation to the site?

I will donate too if it makes those ads go away. The delays in rendering the HTML and to reformat/refresh the screen to accommodate the ad is extremely annoying.

Originally Posted By: paulri
I'm surfing with Firefox and uBlock Origin installed,and I don't see any ads at all (laptop), both before and after logging in.

Same here. I use Opera. Has a built in adblocker.

I'm using Opera with built-in ad-blocker and I see none. I just turned it off and encountered the problem so I turned it back on.

That's great for the people that know how to block ads, but that kind of defeats the purpose. I wish I didn't have to deal with it on the tail-end of my WIFI out in my shop. It gives me time to do other things instead now.

Last edited:
I only use BITOG on my iPhone and iPad. Lightning fast here, havent had any issues since September when it was slow.

I also have yet to see a single ad. I use Safari on both. The Pennzoil banner at the top is gone too, it's just blank up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back