Poor warranty work from Honda dealer

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Took the 2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid in for a 12V battery terminal recall. Apparently the factory never installed an inline fuse so the recall was for a new cable and battery terminal block.

After popping the hood a few days later I noticed the tech did not clean off any of the old battery terminal corrosion.

I figure this would be good practice when replacing a battery terminal, you know, cleaning off any old corrosion so it does not presumably spread to the new terminal and continue corroding. Additionally for appearance purposes as well as pride of work.

I took the battery out, cleaned it up along with the tray and did an engine detail. I didn't even want to bring it back because I don't trust this dealer anymore. Many other to go to in my area.

Battery 2.jpg

Battery 1.jpg

Battery 4.jpg

Last edited:
That’s a JC/Clarios battery-I would get it out of there & replace it with something better (East Penn, preferably) before it leaks all over & trashes your front end. Like one did in my xB.
Interesting, I was surprised to see a battery starting to corrode after 4 years. I'll look into replacing it sooner than later now.

I say it's the little things that matter the most.. If the tech can't be bothered with something so simple, what else are they missing with a bigger project/repair?! Flat rate or not, it wouldn't have take that much to clean that corrosion. Good will goes a long way for future jobs. It might be the way they are, but doesn't help their reputation.

2) It the recall doesn't say "clean battery" they aint gonna clean the battery.
Exactly. No pride in their work and it's not like the shop was super busy either. Maybe understaffed but what's it take to use a wire brush for 2 seconds.

Good will goes a long way for future jobs. It might be the way they are, but doesn't help their reputation.
I have a lot of Honda dealers here so lets see how the competition does in the future.

Honda probably pays the tech 1/3 hour to perform this recall.
Replace the positive battery cable. Includes steering angle relearn and sticker installation in the owner’s manual or owner’s guide.

Pays 0.7 🙄

1000011202.jpg

Sorry to hear OP, but I've never had good luck with American Honda or a local Honda dealers sales/service
It's the disease that is flat rate 🙁

In OPs defense, the work instructions do actually say to clean the terminals
I also believe you have other recalls OP
Did you get a fuel pump or front seat weight sensors too?
1000011201.jpg

Here's a tech replacing the cable

Last edited:
This is why I asked if they would just give me the oil and oil filter in exchange for the free oil change after we bought our Mazda CX50. I just don’t trust anyone to care about the job at hand anymore. It’s not their car, why should they care?
Having pride in what you do and doing it right has been replaced with doing as little as possible and getting it out ASAP.
Sad.

In OPs defense, the work instructions do actually say to clean the terminals
I also believe you have other recalls OP
Did you get a fuel pump or front seat weight sensors too?

Wow, .7 for all of that work? Should be 1.5 at least.

I did get the recall notice for the seat sensor but the letter said vehicles with warning lights are getting priority. Fuel pump letter received as well but I forgot to ask the shop. I understand the fuel pumps might be on back order.

This is why I asked if they would just give me the oil and oil filter in exchange for the free oil change after we bought our Mazda CX50. I just don’t trust anyone to care about the job at hand anymore. It’s not their car, why should they care?
Having pride in what you do and doing it right has been replaced with doing as little as possible and getting it out ASAP.
Sad.
I feel the same way. I'd hate (and have hated) when taking a vehicle in for warranty repairs the thoughts of what might get scratched/banged up from the need for the tech to be fast. Not saying I blame the tech as I know flat rate through and through... and that it doesn't always allow a tech to be gentle or take the time needed to be "easy" with something.

Did they give you the oil and filter or tell you to take a hike?

Wow, .7 for all of that work? Should be 1.5 at least.

I did get the recall notice for the seat sensor but the letter said vehicles with warning lights are getting priority. Fuel pump letter received as well but I forgot to ask the shop. I understand the fuel pumps might be on back order.
It's conflicts between quality, earning a living, and my sanity that keep me out of the shop as a career
@AutoMechanic could probably provide first hand insight, I know Toyota isn't always generous with labor times either 🙄
They all suck, but Honda is way below average when it comes to warranty pay
And you wonder why us customers get indifferent to shoddy work? (Not that it's acceptable 😲)

IMO, give those other recalls a few months until parts become more available, and take it to whatever other Honda dealer you've had better luck with

I'd give this dealer service department a mild roasting on the customer survey or a Google maps review, would've took 30 seconds with a wire brush or some brake cleaner on a rag to make it look professional
OTOH I don't work for slave wages, I don't expect our "tech" to do the same
We as customers deserve better, techs deserve better as well
Don't hate the players, hate the game 🤷‍♂️

I feel the same way. I'd hate (and have hated) when taking a vehicle in for warranty repairs the thoughts of what might get scratched/banged up from the need for the tech to be fast. Not saying I blame the tech as I know flat rate through and through... and that it doesn't always allow a tech to be gentle or take the time needed to be "easy" with something.

Did they give you the oil and filter or tell you to take a hike?

They gave me the oil and filter without a fuss. They even replaced the Mazda value filter with a Thailand made filter after I told them that I wanted the better filter. They said that I could keep the MV filter, but I returned it to them anyway. (I’m not unreasonable) I’ll give them credit there.
As for the oil change, or any other service, I just don’t trust that it’s being done with pride anymore.

They gave me the oil and filter without a fuss. They even replaced the Mazda value filter with a Thailand made filter after I told them that I wanted the better filter. They said that I could keep the MV filter, but I returned it to them anyway. (I’m not unreasonable) I’ll give them credit there.
As for the oil change, or any other service, I just don’t trust that it’s being done with pride anymore.

Not only that, by the time I drive there, get checked in, wait for it to be racked, service done, checked out, drive back home...I could have it done in my driveway in a fraction of the time and already be enjoying a beer on the patio.

Back