Pleasant experience at Discount Tire today!

Glad you had a good experience. I like Discount Tire as well, but just like any chain the experience can vary greatly by location.

You say it was "free" but is that actually true? You didn't pay a penny over what other competitors offered?

Last edited:
I think it largely depends on the location. I've never had a good experience at Discount Tire. People in Kansas City, MO/KS might be friendlier as a whole.

Didn't even take out my wallet "free" Even got free information. The tires have lost about 1/3 of their useable tread in 10,000 miles.

Side note, I have noticed that Discount Tire doesn't do a good job of replacing worn impact sockets. Obviously they use their sockets a lot, but I've found that on cars with problematic lug nut designs (e.g. Ford, Stellantis, certain Toyotas), cars that go there regularly tend to have VERY chewed up lug nuts. My theory is that worn sockets tend to exacerbate that inevitable issue.

I think it largely depends on the location. I've never had a good experience at Discount Tire. People in Kansas City, MO/KS might be friendlier as a whole.
I don"t know where you are, The location on the NE side of the Kansas City I went to was a good experience. All week I have been getting good service. Gee, I wonder if showering helps🚿

I can vouch for the Kansas City North location (N Oak), the Overland Park and the Shawnee, KS locations. Have received good quality service from all of them. It helps to make an appointment and keep it, to avoid waiting a long time for service. All three locations stay really busy.

All of my experiences with DT have been positive. Might be regional but here in NC customer service is still a 'southern thang'. Try a Public's grocery store sometime. Most polite employees you ever met.

nc.jpg

My DT experience got better when I found a better DT in a less populated area …

You say it was "free" but is that actually true? You didn't pay a penny over what other competitors offered?
Their prices for tires have always been very competitive. A lot of tire shops don't have websites so unless you enjoy calling or stopping in, good luck "shopping"around. Are they the absolute cheapest ? Don't know....

I always liked Discount tire. Used them when I lived in AZ. I don't have a close one here and so far I haven't had a car long enough here to need new tires yet. I've got a few small shops in town I might check out. I want to get new wheels on the VW when it gets tires, but the dealer put new tires on it when I bought it so that'll be awhile.

Their prices for tires have always been very competitive. A lot of tire shops don't have websites so unless you enjoy calling or stopping in, good luck "shopping"around. Are they the absolute cheapest ? Don't know....
Depends on the tire in question, but I've found tire prices for my vehicles cheaper from competitors. Again, define "free". Baking the cost into the up-front cost is not free.

Depends on the tire in question, but I've found tire prices for my vehicles cheaper from competitors. Again, define "free". Baking the cost into the up-front cost is not free.
By your logic, even if DT sold a tire for $100 while a competitor sold the same one for $115, their rotation and balancing after the sale still aren't free. Your argument is that tire should be $50 or $60 or $80 or whatever because at $100, they've baked in the price of "lifetime rotation and balancing" into the $100 price.

By your logic, even if DT sold a tire for $100 while a competitor sold the same one for $115, their rotation and balancing after the sale still aren't free. Your argument is that tire should be $50 or $60 or $80 or whatever because at $100, they've baked in the price of "lifetime rotation and balancing" into the $100 price.
Incorrect. My argument is that sometimes "free" services have a higher entry fee for the original purchase. I'm simply warning the OP not to fall for this trap.

To be clear, I've used Discount Tire and really like the company and their customer service. Most importantly they offer a price match program, and yes, I've used it before.

I went there one time as there was a very attractive girl changing my tires. I couldn't keep my eyes off her. She even told me I was making her nervous. Something about women in those mechanics uniforms that does it for me. 😊

Incorrect. My argument is that sometimes "free" services have a higher entry fee for the original purchase. I'm simply warning the OP not to fall for this trap.
To be clear, I've used Discount Tire and really like the company and their customer service. Most importantly they offer a price match program, and yes, I've used it before.
There was no exchange of money. They rotated my OEM tires for free. NO STRINGS

I have been using Discount for about 30 years. I have never been upset with them. They once put 255x40x18s on my Mustang GT when I wanted 255x45x18. Strictly a mistake. They took care of it pronto. The tech had just picked out the wrong size. Trust but verify.

Back