Piston Slap gone with PurePlus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed oil in suburban by the olm this weekend and put in 6qts of PP 5w30 pureplus. No more piston slap in the mornings. Very impressed, no other oil i have used was able to quiet it. It was a very minor sound but still.

Probably because of the higher viscosity of the new oil. PP might be good oil but it wont make the lame walk and the blind see.
True piston slap is a clearance or short piston skirt design issue, some oils may dampen the noise for a short time but no oil can correct it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Probably because of the higher viscosity of the new oil. PP might be good oil but it wont make the lame walk and the blind see.
True piston slap is a clearance or short piston skirt design issue, some oils may dampen the noise for a short time but no oil can correct it.
I notice after I change the oil in my truck the piston slap is less noticeable. After a while it does come back. These engines do seem to run for a very long time despite the slap.

Most piston slap today is related to short piston skirts, usually nothing more than an annoyance when the engine is cold and not detrimental to engine longevity.
Years ago piston slap was the sign of a problem that usually needed to be fixed. A long skirted piston moving enough to cause slapping noise is a sign of excessive piston to bore wear.

So if piston slap is related to short piston skirts, and some cylinder wear and related wobble, why do the Jeep 4.0 engines seem to have engine failures in this area while other engines just make the noise at startup.

I believe that was an actual issue with piston to cylinder wall clearance. Near the end of the 4.0's production run, the tooling that made the parts of the engines was beginning to wear out and I believe clearnces were becoming excessive. I had an 05 wrangler that had piston slap at all times, even when warm.

99-01 seem to be the worst 4.0s for piston slapping and dropping piston skirts.

Most 4.0 noise that is considered to be "piston slap" is broken skirts. Otherwise, it's lifter tick or something else worn out / noisy.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
Changed oil in suburban by the olm this weekend and put in 6qts of PP 5w30 pureplus. No more piston slap in the mornings. Very impressed, no other oil i have used was able to quiet it. It was a very minor sound but still.

Interesting, have you tried the regular PP without pureplus before?

Originally Posted By: afoulk
I believe that was an actual issue with piston to cylinder wall clearance. Near the end of the 4.0's production run, the tooling that made the parts of the engines was beginning to wear out and I believe clearnces were becoming excessive. I had an 05 wrangler that had piston slap at all times, even when warm.
Pistons diam are finish machined from a casting or forging and the block is bored and honed to nominal. Sometimes a manufacturer goes to a "net build" which pull parts of the rack without matching allowing wide tolerance and the tol stack can be excessive in some piston/bore combos - same with bearings/journals.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214

I bought my 99 silverado in 05 iirc with 50000kms on the odo.
I was a diehard amsoil guy at the time so as soon as I drove it off the lot I promptly changed the oil to sso 5w-30.
I ran 10000km drains for 100000kms and not once did I hear piston slap from my 5.3.
At 150000kms I got cheap and I also learned that on sale synthetic oil can also do 10000km drains so no more amsoil.
I did a cam swap at the same time. New rockers,pushrods,cam,springs etc.
my engine was spotless inside. The stock cam had no wear that I could feel with my finger whatsoever.
Anyways I ran pyb for the break in of the valve train and almost immediately I heard the piston slap. It wasn't audible for years and 100000km but as soon as pyb went in piston slap became audible.
Now don't get me wrong. I like pyb and sopus in general and I'm not knocking the oil at all. Im just stating my observations.
It's now had a steady diet of pyb in the summer and either qsud or pp for winter and only so I could extend the interval and delay changing the oil during the winter.

Could the reduced piston slap possibly be warmer temperatures outside? My Suburban makes no noise in warmer weather, but the colder it gets the worse the slap is until warm. Not saying that is the case, but was that a possibility? I found no oil weight or brand stopped it completely, and not even PU that everyone loves. It was quietest on MaxLife but still there.

Originally Posted By: Trav

In GM vehicles with V8's this mirrors our experience.

With genuine slap no oil helped at all. We tried them. In our engines it would quickly disappear after cold start and on the worst one we owned it would also clatter a bit as it idled down from a rev while stationary.

Always annoying, but never hurt the engine's life at all. My LONGEST LIVED vehicle was a notorious 'slapper' 6.0 that went an honest half a million miles without rebuild and was sold recently.

IME many folks are mistaking another noise for real 'slap'...

At work we have 5 Chevrolet silverado V8 2WD crewcab 1500 pickups. All but one of them lost an engine at around the 170,000 mile mark at most...with some as low as 130,000. One locked up while at idle. They all began ticking...then louder knocking toward the end. All had to have Jasper reman engines as the trucks are still in great shape. The most recent suffered a cracked block for no apparent reason. All were fleet maintained with 4000 mile OCI's using Citgo conventional oil.

From out experience...piston slap isn't the problem. It's the oiling system which eventually goes south. One truck was able to get a new oil pump installed when it started ticking and it's still on the original engine. But would have suffered the same fate as the others were it not changed.

My opinion of current GM V8 pickup engines (we had both 4.8 and 5.3) are they are not going to last 200,000 miles and still be worth anything no matter what you do to them.

On the other hand...the Dodge 4.7L's and the Ford 4.6L's we have are over 200K with no signs of any issues. Just my experience with GM's and ticking noises.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: neilLB7
At work we have 5 Chevrolet silverado V8 2WD crewcab 1500 pickups. All but one of them lost an engine at around the 170,000 mile mark at most...with some as low as 130,000. One locked up while at idle. They all began ticking...then louder knocking toward the end. All had to have Jasper reman engines as the trucks are still in great shape. The most recent suffered a cracked block for no apparent reason. All were fleet maintained with 4000 mile OCI's using Citgo conventional oil.

From out experience...piston slap isn't the problem. It's the oiling system which eventually goes south. One truck was able to get a new oil pump installed when it started ticking and it's still on the original engine. But would have suffered the same fate as the others were it not changed.

My opinion of current GM V8 pickup engines (we had both 4.8 and 5.3) are they are not going to last 200,000 miles and still be worth anything no matter what you do to them.

On the other hand...the Dodge 4.7L's and the Ford 4.6L's we have are over 200K with no signs of any issues. Just my experience with GM's and ticking noises.

My experience with GM V8s is quite the opposite. My '03 is still going strong at 211k. My good friend's '99 had around 230k, still running strong when he traded it to his father-in-law.

200K on a 4.6 is common on a well maintained engine
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980

My experience with GM V8s is quite the opposite. My '03 is still going strong at 211k. My good friend's '99 had around 230k, still running strong when he traded it to his father-in-law.

Likewise, and we buy a few every couple of years on the average. Ours are usually sold around 200k miles while still running very well.

I just spent my day in an 07 Savana 3500 that has 178k miles on the odometer and over 4000 hours of stationary operation at 1500-1700 rpm, still smooth and quiet...

I've had the exact opposite experience. My 99 z71 has 270 and I've replaced the fuel pump and a front wheel bearing.
My brother has a 4.8 with 200k and he's put gas in it.
Then we've got 2 chev vans with a 5.3 with 350k that we've had to put gas in,brakes and overload springs being that they are loaded full time.
You must have guys abusing them because even our abused ones have no issues.

IIRC, oil pump failures on those GM V8's isn't unheard of though. Didn't we have a thread about one of those recently? I'm quite sure we did.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
IIRC, oil pump failures on those GM V8's isn't unheard of though. Didn't we have a thread about one of those recently? I'm quite sure we did.

I remember that one.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Of course. No one was attempting to say that they NEVER fail, just that it is rarer than the Net would have you think. GM builds more than one million of those V8's every year, that must be factored in to the data presented.

I can't understand the post above because we would seem to be deeply committed to GM V8's and the 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0/6.2 are all nearly identical engines...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back